• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Memorandum: Age Rating

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
Is Cat Soup really deserving of a Mature rating? Sure, there was one scene of extreme violence spoiler[with the magician chopping the woman to bits at the circus and reassembling her body], but it's very cartoony and isn't any worse than Itchy and Scratchy shorts from The Simpsons. And there is nudity, but it’s abstract and they're for artistic merit rather than fanservice.

Yes, it deserves the MA rating. The scene you mentioned is nothing compared to the scene spoiler[where the cats cook the pig's innards and feed them to it]. Besides, the anime is targeted to mature audiences (hence the 16-Up rating).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:29 am Reply with quote
I was at Anime Expo this past week, and when I looked at the packaging for Desert Punk, it said TV-MA on it, yet it says teenagers in the encyclopedia. Wouldn't this be a little contradictory?
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:30 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I was at Anime Expo this past week, and when I looked at the packaging for Desert Punk, it said TV-MA on it, yet it says teenagers in the encyclopedia. Wouldn't this be a little contradictory?

That's news to me. Looks like further episodes have more T&A than what a TV-14 will contain. Until further notice, the rating has been upgraded to MA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:16 am Reply with quote
I would just like to know what gives Chobits a mature rating. Did they add really bad language to the English version or was it the part where the switch to turn Chii on was in a place where I don't need to mention?
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:26 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I would just like to know what gives Chobits a mature rating. Did they add really bad language to the English version or was it the part where the switch to turn Chii on was in a place where I don't need to mention?

It's rated MA because of the numerous sexual references on each episode.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:21 am Reply with quote
I noticed that the manga version of Okusama wa Joshikosei doesn't have a rating, but it is definetly mature due to nudity, sex and references.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Forgive me for going to that whole "Advent Children should be rerated TA" phase again but I found this one thing that I think might merit a teen rating on Advent Children. spoiler[When Sephiroth pulled his sword out of Cloud's shoulder, I think there was blood on his sword.]

Last edited by Riyousha on Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
Forgive me for going to that whole "Advent Children should be rerated TA" phase again but I found this one thing that might merit a teen rating on Advent Children. spoiler[When Sephiroth pulled his sword out of Cloud's shoulder, I think there was blood on his sword.]

Give me a break, Riyousha. You think the movie should have a TA rating just for that one scene? Sorry, but the OC rating stays on Final Fantasy: Advent Children, whether you like it or not.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:59 am Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
Riyousha wrote:
Forgive me for going to that whole "Advent Children should be rerated TA" phase again but I found this one thing that might merit a teen rating on Advent Children. spoiler[When Sephiroth pulled his sword out of Cloud's shoulder, I think there was blood on his sword.]

Give me a break, Riyousha. You think the movie should have a TA rating just for that one scene? Sorry, but the OC rating stays on Final Fantasy: Advent Children, whether you like it or not.

Then I blame the MPAA. It's their fault for this whole issue about FFIIVAC's OC rating. If they rated the movie PG, we wouldn't have had that issue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:34 am Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
Then I blame the MPAA. It's their fault for this whole issue about FFIIVAC's OC rating. If they rated the movie PG, we wouldn't have had that issue.

So all the other movies out there should be rated PG-13 because of one instance of blood? Beauty and the Beast because Gaston stabbed the beast and there was blood? Or perhaps little Mermaid when Ursula was stabbed with a ship? How illogical are you going to get?
Riyousha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:46 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Riyousha wrote:

So all the other movies out there should be rated PG-13 because of one instance of blood? Beauty and the Beast because Gaston stabbed the beast and there was blood? Or perhaps little Mermaid when Ursula was stabbed with a ship? How illogical are you going to get?

I'm not saying all movies should be PG-13. Beauty and the Beast doesn't need a PG-13. Nor does The Little Mermaid. Any movie that has one instance of blood doesn't need a PG-13 if it is in a kid's film like Beauty and the Beast. Mabey you didn't understand what I'm talking about. I'm just saying that mabey if the MPAA rated Advent Children PG (eventhough I don't see why it would be a kids film), we wouldn't have had that issue about Advent Children age rating and we would keep the OC rating. Because look at this.

All Ages (AA): Equivalent to G (What, Digimon was rated PG but we can still keep the AA, right)
Older Children (OC): Equivalent to PG
Teenager (TA): Equivalent to PG-13
Mature (MA): Equivalent to R
Adults Only (AO): Equivalent to NC-17
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
I'm not saying all movies should be PG-13. Beauty and the Beast doesn't need a PG-13. Nor does The Little Mermaid. Any movie that has one instance of blood doesn't need a PG-13 if it is in a kid's film like Beauty and the Beast. Mabey you didn't understand what I'm talking about. I'm just saying that mabey if the MPAA rated Advent Children PG (eventhough I don't see why it would be a kids film), we wouldn't have had that issue about Advent Children age rating and we would keep the OC rating. Because look at this.

All Ages (AA): Equivalent to G (What, Digimon was rated PG but we can still keep the AA, right)
Older Children (OC): Equivalent to PG
Teenager (TA): Equivalent to PG-13
Mature (MA): Equivalent to R
Adults Only (AO): Equivalent to NC-17

There's where you're contradicting yourself, and I would think that FF7 advent children was a kids movie.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Any movie that has one instance of blood doesn't need a PG-13 if it is in a kid's film like Beauty and the Beast. Mabey you didn't understand what I'm talking about. I'm just saying that mabey if the MPAA rated Advent Children PG (eventhough I don't see why it would be a kids film)

It's not just "kid's movies" that get rated PG. It's rare, but it is possible for a movie to be targeted at teens and adults and have little-to-no offensive content. My memory is a little fuzzy, but aren't AI: Artificial Intelligence and Edward Scissorhands both rated PG? Those are both some of my favorite movies, and most kids under about age ten who've seen them don't understand either of them. (My parents wouldn't even let me see AI until I turned 13.)
Riyousha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
It's not just "kid's movies" that get rated PG. It's rare, but it is possible for a movie to be targeted at teens and adults and have little-to-no offensive content.

The only reason why AC is rated PG-13 is because of some intense action sequences. Not because of sephiroth stabbing Cloud.

Quote:
My memory is a little fuzzy, but aren't AI: Artificial Intelligence and Edward Scissorhands both rated PG? Those are both some of my favorite movies, and most kids under about age ten who've seen them don't understand either of them. (My parents wouldn't even let me see AI until I turned 13.)

I don't remember AI being rated PG. There were some scary robots in that movie.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Never mind, I just did some Google research and discovered both of those movies really are PG-13. Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 16