• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hayao Miyazaki's The Wind Rises Film Teaser Aired

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:04 am Reply with quote
OMG! It'll be out in less than a month! Time went so fast! It's a bit bummer that the initially planned 2 movies aren't going to happen.

Either way its a good thing we have another Ghibli film to look forward to!

The music in Kaze Tachinu is quite nostalgic!

Definitely Importing this movie!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:08 am Reply with quote
Why do all Ghibli characters look the same?
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:44 am Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:

why do all dbz characters look the same?, why do all the simpsons characters look the same (virtually), futurama isint much different from that, yugioh.... shit the list goes on and on.

show me a style that varies its characters without too much reference outside of clothing and props.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
It's got all the things I love about Miyazaki's movies; planes, wind blown clouds and the best land shadows that sweep the ground. Absolutely gorgeous looking film, can't wait!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
It looks absolutely gorgeous and should be worth seeing at least for the visuals, if not more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
vangelionite88 wrote:
Ryu Shoji wrote:

why do all dbz characters look the same?, why do all the simpsons characters look the same (virtually), futurama isint much different from that, yugioh.... shit the list goes on and on.

show me a style that varies its characters without too much reference outside of clothing and props.

It's much, much more than that. Studio Ghibli characters tend to look almost exactly the same - and not just the minor characters, even the major ones. Horikoshi looks like almost every single male Studio Ghibli protagonist.

Here he is in Princess Mononoke.

And here in Arrietty.

The only character whose image didn't make me feel a sense of deju vu was Kastrup's (who from here-on is called "Katsup").
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:27 pm Reply with quote
His animation never seizes to disappoint.
ly000001

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
vangelionite88 wrote:
Ryu Shoji wrote:

It's much, much more than that. Studio Ghibli characters tend to look almost exactly the same - and not just the minor characters, even the major ones. Horikoshi looks like almost every single male Studio Ghibli protagonist.

<snip>
Here he is in Princess Mononoke.

<snip>
And here in Arrietty.

The only character whose image didn't make me feel a sense of deju vu was Kastrup's (who from here-on is called "Katsup").

Years ago, I was looking at one of the "Art of" books for a Miyazaki movie, and saw a drawing by him of what female characters should look like at different ages, and the representation of each age category resembled someone from his earlier works (e.g. late teens/early 20's = Nausicaa). Like how Leiji Matsumoto has Maetel as his idealized woman, it seems Miyazaki has an idealized image of what certain character types should look like and so the lack of variation in character designs among his films.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
@Ryu Shoji

In my opinion the cookie cutter character designs of most of Studio Ghibli films are purposely created similarly. It maybe to encapture the same atmosphere of all the previous films. Afterall all of Ghibli films tend to share common themes and motifs.

For me the similar character designs isn't something I could be bother with as it preserved the true feeling of all the movies. It's what makes these film exclusively Ghibli. When I watch any of their films I always tend think to myself "oh he/she looks like from so and so". Which then leads to a recollection of all the ofher movies.

These what makes all Ghibli films the more accessible because of the familiar way of animation. They consistently create films that more or less have the same character faces. Ghibli is big on nostalgic feelings. I wouldn't be surprise if they follow the Japanese "Mono no Aware" motto.

Both male and female, young and old they resemble one another. Like you see Mae from Totoro who looks the younger version of the female servant in Arriety. Or Markl from Howl the Japanese equivalent of Sosuke from Ponyo. Heck Ponyo is the fish version of Mae from Totoro. Etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bllanosr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:

It's not that uncommon for a creator, studio or group to have a distinct character design. Take for example, Rumiko Takahashi (Ranma & Maison Ikoku), Hiro Mashima (Fairy Tails & Rave), Akira Toriyama (Dragon Ball & Chrono Trigger), and Oh! Great (Tenjou Tenge & Air Gear). Their fans have gotten accustomed to their unique styles and can often recognize their work because of that. I don't think it's intentional, it's just how they draw their characters, just like how your unique and distinctive writing style is yours and hard to change.

EDIT: I forgot to add that even Western artists, like Seth Macfarlane (Family Guy & American Dad), experience this. Removed Clamp.

Last edited by bllanosr on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I disagree.. If you look up the person(s) behind the character design of each Ghibli (Miyazaki's) films there are a handful of designers. So how come even though some weren't involved in the same film would eventually have the same distinct Ghibli character designs if it weren't intentionally.

These designers also have done other works that doesn't look remotely Ghibli..

I can understand if it just one designer as its hard to break away from the standard art style that is solely his/her own. A lot of mangaka suffers from this problem. I still believe character designs for Ghibli films will always purposely follow the same distinct design.

PS: Sailormoon isn't CLAMP's work its created by Naoko Takeuchi
bllanosr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote
chichiriNoDa: That might be true about the different artists working in Ghibli, but does Miyazaki have the final say on the character design? That might be the case.

Yes, you are correct about Clamp and Sailor Moon. Sorry about that, I keep thinking Clamp created Sailor Moon.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:52 am Reply with quote
aw...

I was hoping he'd return to something fantastic like Arrietty or Laputa.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:09 am Reply with quote
Steve Alpert as Kastrup!

I have to see this, and email congrats on his role.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
That teaser moved me in a few seconds. I must be the awesome, nostalgic music. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2