• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon XY TV Anime to Debut on October 17 with Satoshi/Ash

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quote
PLEASE INTRODUCE A NEW CHARACTER ALREADY. PLEASE. Pretty Rhythm Dear My Future did a great job introducing a new main character, and kept the nostalgia by bringing back the main heroine of the last season by having her as a mentor! I definitely think Pokemon could do this.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:29 am Reply with quote
Oh, gee, Ash is the protagonist again? What a shock? I wonder what girl they'll use for his sidekick this time. I'm still annoyed that Hilda/Touko got ignored in favor of Iris.
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:34 am Reply with quote
For the sake of all that is pure in this world, please retire Ash.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:36 am Reply with quote
Ash the eternal 10 year old returns as the protagonist! This is why the Pokemon anime is terrible. I saw the trailer released for Pokemon Black and White 2, if the anime was like that, I would DEFINITELY watch it, it looked fantastic.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:40 am Reply with quote
razisgosu wrote:
Ash the eternal 10 year old returns as the protagonist! This is why the Pokemon anime is terrible. I saw the trailer released for Pokemon Black and White 2, if the anime was like that, I would DEFINITELY watch it, it looked fantastic.

I don't understand why everyone needs to question his still being a 10 year old. Plenty of shows don't age their characters....
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:42 am Reply with quote
I am probably the only one here who is actually excited for this. I've grown bored of Best Wishes.

Times like this I wish I made it here before the haters/Complainers.

Seriously guys, I am getting sick of the whole "Ash is still 10 after 10years". Just get over it, it won't happen.

Last edited by InuNaruPokeAlchemist on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:58 am; edited 2 times in total
razisgosu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:44 am Reply with quote
oblivious247 wrote:
razisgosu wrote:

I don't understand why everyone needs to question his still being a 10 year old. Plenty of shows don't age their characters....

It's not a problem when the show doesn't define time such as a short series. The problem is when in the first series after Ash returned to Pallet Town it's clearly stated "Wow I've been traveling with Pikachu for a year." Then at the beginning of Black and White, it states Ash is 10. It's a matter of inconsistencies.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:45 am Reply with quote
I'm finding it weird that Ash's pants are getting more and more skin tight.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:03 am Reply with quote
This is why I prefer the Pokemon Adventures manga for having new protagonists every so often. Even if we can't get a new protagonist for the love of all that is holy can they at least make ash 11? The series is almost 800 episodes in at this point and he's still ten to my knowledge.
Tsukento

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:07 am Reply with quote
razisgosu wrote:
It's not a problem when the show doesn't define time such as a short series. The problem is when in the first series after Ash returned to Pallet Town it's clearly stated "Wow I've been traveling with Pikachu for a year." Then at the beginning of Black and White, it states Ash is 10. It's a matter of inconsistencies.

How is this different from other shows that do this...? The Simpsons have been doing it for almost 25 years. Time is shown to clearly pass, yet they all stay the same age.

The whole point of the anime doing this (and to a degree, the games as well) is to be easy to follow for a new audience of kids growing up with the series. Remember - not everyone watching the anime today grew up watching it when Ash first started his journey.
Blazaking

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:08 am Reply with quote
I think a lot of people don't realize that the anime is not intended for people who have watched it from the start.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:13 am Reply with quote
I wonder who the rest of the gang will be in this season. Shauna and her gang seem like likely candidates, but I'd love to see the female player character involved. I doubt Cilan and Iris will be coming along.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:32 am Reply with quote
You know, this would be the part where I make a sarcastic comment about ash being the protagonist, but ever since I got into the Toaruverse fandom, I've become more and more annoyed by these sorts of arguments about "this version is better, character X sucks!" and quite frankly, one sarcastic comment isn't worth the shitstorm that'll come afterwards anymore. Also, I really don't give a crap about ash not aging, it really isn't important anymore.

but still, out of morbid curiosity, I do wonder who he'll be traveling with this time, if it'll be a gym leader or the female trainer.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:42 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
PLEASE INTRODUCE A NEW CHARACTER ALREADY. PLEASE. Pretty Rhythm Dear My Future did a great job introducing a new main character, and kept the nostalgia by bringing back the main heroine of the last season by having her as a mentor! I definitely think Pokemon could do this.

Pretty Rhythm Dear My Future is also a drop in the bucket compared to the huge franchise that is Pocket Monsters. They're not going to kill what works for them.

razisgosu wrote:

And? That's how long running shows are, especially shounen. Conan has been going on for 19 years and he's still a kid. Early episodes and chapters featured the kids playing with SNES/Super Famicoms and in the recent episodes you can see them playing with Wiis, even though canonly less than a year has passed since Shinichi being poisoned and shrinking into a kid.

Like it or not, long running shounen protagonists are popular. Satoshi is no exception, you're better off griping why Luffy is still the star of One Piece, or why Conan is still the star of Detective Conan. They're iconic and popular and everyone loves them and the series revolve around their adventures.

Personally I'm just curious who he'll travel with. Either Serena or Sana would work for me. Maybe we'll get a four-person group again like in Advanced Generation with Sana, Toroba, and Tierno.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
Tsukento wrote:
razisgosu wrote:

How is this different from other shows that do this...? The Simpsons have been doing it for almost 25 years. Time is shown to clearly pass, yet they all stay the same age.

The whole point of the anime doing this (and to a degree, the games as well) is to be easy to follow for a new audience of kids growing up with the series. Remember - not everyone watching the anime today grew up watching it when Ash first started his journey.

Exactly plenty of long series do this. They have a story to tell, one that is marketed to a young audience, and aging Ash is completely unnecessary. And even if they did age him, nothing would change. He would still be written the way he is to appeal to the target audience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6