• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Daisuki to Stream Gundam ZZ TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:06 pm Reply with quote
ZZ certainly isn't one of the best of the UC timeline but it redeemed itself midway through. I hope one day it, along with Victory, X, Turn A, SEED CE 73 Stargazer, and AGE, gets an English dub.

Last edited by the-antihero on Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Something to Puru about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Why are you reporting on this? It's not anime.

I wonder if they'll stream old shitty DVD versions or the better BD transfers.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Japan doesn't put out good Blu-rays of old anime anyway. They don't clean them up. Unless it's a special case. You always see white dots, tape marks, hairs, grain flickers, fades here and there not to mention unsteady film weaves.

FUNimation did a better remastering job for Dragon Ball Z for Blu-ray than cheap Toei did when they made Dragon Ball Z Kai. Hell, FUNimation even steadied the film weaves!

I will give Sunrise credit for keeping their 90's anime well-preserved. Not a single grain flicker in the G Gundam, Gundam Wing, Gundam X and Turn A Gundam DVD remasters. But 80's and before stuff needs some fixing.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Every time someone cracks this joke it always gets me just for a second. But then I'm like "oh, ok".

I'm actually interested in watching this on here since The fan subs I have are really bad video quality. Hopefully this means we could see some sort of home video release in the future.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:25 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

What makes Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ "not anime"?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:26 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Japan doesn't put out good Blu-rays of old anime anyway. They don't clean them up. Unless it's a special case. You always see white dots, tape marks, hairs, grain flickers, fades here and there not to mention unsteady film weaves.

Your argument, I gather, is: "the BDs aren't absolutely perfect, so the DVDs are preferable."

Dirt, blemishes, and other errors may not make for an immaculate picture, but they're far better than any DVD offering. You even see tons of scratches and dust on Honneamise, but it doesn't hamper the presentation or the impact of the film whatsoever, it's just visual nitpicking. The only time I ever get upset over HD transfers is when they wash out all the grain and make everything into an ugly plastic mess: GALAXY EXPRESS 999. I'm still not sure how I feel about DYRL's transfer, but it could be an inherent issue to the source material, but the bad feelings I have of that BD are with the gore censorship.

From what I've seen so far, Japan does a fine enough job on their remastering work. DBZ is FUNi's bread and butter, so of course they're going to make careful and considerate efforts to present them as best they can, but they stalled out and stopped working on them too...

TheAncientOne wrote:

Not getting the joke, mainly.
Wooga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

but it isn't...it's history
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Your argument, I gather, is: "the BDs aren't absolutely perfect, so the DVDs are preferable."

On the contrary, when given the choice, I ALWAYS pick the blurays. Just that in Japan they don't remaster their anime to the absolute best that it can possibly be.

When I look at 007 on blu-ray I honestly can't see how it can look better. But when I saw YuYu Hakusho and Dragon Ball Z Kai, I thought that they can do MUCH better, even if they are better than what the DVDs have to offer. It looks like a half-assed job since there's so much room for improvement.

TheAncientOne wrote:

That's the first opening theme of Gundam ZZ
GordanHam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I believe their second giveaway campaign isn't for over a thousand prizes. The first one was, but I don't think the second one is.

And I get what Daisuki wants to be, but I really hope they don't think they are doing enough. I have only watched the new Monogatari series on their site, and their player is terrible. The constant change in video quality is just so distracting.

And I'm not a Gundam fan, and I was hoping to get into it on Daisuki, but now all I know is they got 1 Gundam that is English Dub only, then now the sequel to that Gundam that is probably going to be Japanese Dub only(I'm just assuming here), and then a "HD Remaster" Gundam that is only available in standard definition......

And I was actually really looking forward to their store since Crucnhyroll's store is actually pretty good, but Daisuki's is pretty laughable. Most things are cheaper and easier to get from US distributors or even Japan directly, and Daisuki even applies an automatic charge of over $20 no matter what you purchase.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Why is ANN covering this? This isn't anime! spoiler[This is a joke]
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Zeta Gundam looks gorgeous on Blu-Ray. I'm sure ZZ looks at least adequate on it.

Damn, I wish we could get the Zeta Blu-Rays.

But I wouldn't pay for ZZ, which is why streaming is optimal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:55 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
On the contrary, when given the choice, I ALWAYS pick the blurays. Just that in Japan they don't remaster their anime to the absolute best that it can possibly be.

When I look at 007 on blu-ray I honestly can't see how it can look better. But when I saw YuYu Hakusho and Dragon Ball Z Kai, I thought that they can do MUCH better, even if they are better than what the DVDs have to offer. It looks like a half-assed job since there's so much room for improvement.

Even BDs for Hollywood films aren't all perfect. It'd be nice if every single instance of visual aberration were removed, but it's not absolutely vital. There's a difference between being acceptably good and reference quality, and I'd rather have them to an HD transfer at all over not because they can't do it perfect the first time.

In any case: ZZ BD > DVD. DVD a shit. End of story. (At least, with analog/film anime. Digital anime on BD is a different story, and there's always exceptions, like LoGH's BDs only being DVD upscales.)
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:15 pm Reply with quote
As someone who bought almost all of BE's Gundam DVD releases before they went under, it's nice to have a legal way to watch this show subbed, but I also hope Daisuki improves the quality of its streams.
zaphdash

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Both Zeta and ZZ look fine on blu-ray (although there's a noticeable difference between the opening credit sequences, which are immaculate, and the episode content itself, which is merely pretty good). Then again, I'm not so into "cleaning up" old footage in the first place. walw6pK4Alo got at the real problem when he mentioned things that become plasticky when the effort to remove all the "imperfections" ends up washing out details in the image (actually the "immaculate" opening credits sequences verge very closely on this, although I still remember them on balance looking awesome, not fake). I like film grain and don't mind a reasonable amount of scratches (I'm talking film that has been decently preserved here, not something that was poorly cared for and is now totally scratched to shit). It's been a couple years since I watched the Zeta and ZZ blus, so I don't even remember precisely what they looked like (like whether they cleaned up the scratches, for instance), but I remember not having any complaints. If they were released in NA with those transfers I would buy them. Actually, I'm put off by the plasticky look even in things that were never scratched to begin with -- a lot of newer computer-animated anime looks too fake to me. If it's otherwise a good show/movie of course I'll still watch it but film, imperfections and all, has a certain warmth to it that you just don't get from sterile computer animation, and that you can lose with excessive "restoration" of old footage as well.

Given my position here I shockingly also did not have any major qualms with Dragon Ball Kai (except that they cut it off 2/3 of the way through). Then again I also reject the conventional wisdom that Gundam ZZ isn't very good (actually, I like it more and more each time I rewatch it and would absolutely, without hesitation, snatch up a legit NA release), so what do I know.

Quote:
Even BDs for Hollywood films aren't all perfect.

Indeed, a lot of them also suffer from excessive cleanup leading to a plastic look -- which is far more pronounced in live action than it is in animation. We sort of expect uniform coloring in animation so you can get away with a great deal more cleanup as long as everything that should be a particular shade of a particular color still is. Live action isn't nearly so forgiving, and yet with many movies they still indiscriminately carpet bomb the film source with noise reduction filters and so forth. Too many people (both in Hollywood and the anime industry) view noise, grain, etc as some sort of intrinsic flaw in film that, thankfully, they can now correct, when the reality is that the pursuit of "perfection" just carries art further away from its audience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3