• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lupin III vs. Detective Conan The Movie's Teaser Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZanraiKid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Shocked

Get pumped, everyone.

This is going to be awesome.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Is Fujiko trying to seduce Ai?
hojo 360

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Anyone think Funi will dub it or is that a sad dream Crying or Very sad
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

One can only hope.
kanechin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

rule 34 of it in 3...2...
yamiangie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

I guess it didn't work with Conan at the end of the first special.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Horrendous. An insult to fans of either franchise.

TMS is officially out of ideas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:20 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

And...yet...everyone else is utterly excited for this film? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

And...yet...everyone else is utterly excited for this film? Laughing

There's a plague of low standards going around, I guess.

A (second, mind you) crossover between these two franchises is TMS' pathetic compromise to save money in making another film for either franchise. Lupin fans like myself have been waiting for decades for another theatrical feature, and what do we get? A second go at a concept already used in a TV special, a substandard one, at that, and a needless one.

Lupin has a detective nemesis already. Conan has a thief nemesis already. There is zero reason, other than being TMS properties, that these two universes should collide, especially for a big box office feature, when not only did it already happen, but TMS could be better served coming up with NEW ideas.

It's bad enough that the Lupin franchise has fallen into such disrepair over the years, with its terrible, generic TV specials. The only good thing to happen to Lupin in the past decade is the Fujiko TV series. Have you seen any of the recent specials? More of the same stupid, safe, boring tripe. Lupin is after special treasure, meets mysterious movie-only woman with tortured past, villain appears who killed mysterious movie-only woman's parents or brother or some other family member, Goemon does all the real work, Fujiko betrays, big action chase scene, Lupin and the gang lose treasure but learn valuable lesson about life, movie-only woman's life is enriched for having met Lupin, Fujiko runs off with remainder of treasure, the end. Same TV special since the 80s.

Decades. Decades of wait and the new Lupin theatrical movie? A repeat of a horrible TV special that was itself a terrible cheap way to get away with doing a joint movie instead of a movie for each franchise.

It's a load of crap, the trailer looks like TV special-grade production values, and it's an insult to both franchises.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kutsu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I think it might be a way for TMS to test if Lupin could work as a successful annual theater franchise like Conan (fyi penguintruth, that franchise gets a new film each year, 18th one in april 2014) Doraemon or Pokemon (all of those are much more kid orientated than Lupin, especially the latter 2).

By having the name Conan in it, they're sure that it won't bomb, and then depending how much it makes compared to the annual Conan movie they might decide to have a go and make a 100% Lupin movie the year after.

I suspect Toho, the distributor, has been hoping to achieve a 4th annual successful anime movie franchise for quite some time now to fill in the last big period of the year (Doraemon fills spring break in march, Conan golden week in april-may, Pokemon summer break and obon week in july-august), maybe they're hoping along with TMS that the Lupin franchise could play that role since the specials generally do well on tv after all (although that doesn't always translate into ticket sales, for example Shin-chan gets ratings twice as high as Pokemon but its movies are far less successful).
E-Master

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quote
It's also been a while since Lupin had a theatrical movie, the last one he had was the 1996 Dead or Alive movie which was back when Goro Naya was still alive and was the voice of good old pops. Great movie too, I hope this film will be good as well cause I enjoyed the TV special that had Lupin & Conan meeting for the first time.
kanechin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Should have been called Lupin III x Detective Conan if they really are going to oppose each other this time.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I didn't watch the 2009 Special yet, though I did buy the JP BD as a collection since I love both shows. I will surly do the same for this movie when it comes on BD, hopefully by then ill get around to watching the special.

I wish if Funi or Discotek would license the Lupin vs Conan SP and movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1