• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Dark Children's Anime Film Ringing Bell

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StormSky92

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:00 pm Reply with quote
That picture is misleading. I was expecting some cute movie about barnyard animals, but then I read what it's about....
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Ha ha, I saw this when I was really little. So sad.

Will they be releasing it with the original audio track? That would be a first in North America.

Will it include the old dub as well?
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, well, well.

Looks like I'm getting this. Thank you, Discotek! I am honestly surprised that this got licensed!
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Ringing Bell is all about this:

Let the traumatization being!
I remember when my dad first rented this film, I was about 6 years old back then. The scene that I still remember to this day is Chirin's mother dying.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ha ha, I saw this when I was really little. So sad.

Will they be releasing it with the original audio track? That would be a first in North America.

Will it include the old dub as well?

OF COURSE!!! That's Discotek's policy! They always release both the original Japanese tracks and old dubs of whatever they license! Just putting it out there. Very Happy
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
StormSky92 wrote:
That picture is misleading. I was expecting some cute movie about barnyard animals, but then I read what it's about....

It's essentially Sanrio trolling everyone by making a dark story. They would then follow it up a couple of years later by co-producing the Ideon movies.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
EXCELLENT!

I've wanted Ringing Bell since I heard Daryl Surat review it on Anime World Order. Even then, I knew it was just a matter of time until DiscoTek licensed it. As usually they did not disappoint. (Now then, about Dear Brother.... You're not going to let Nozomi beat you to the punch, are you?)

This is awesome news and I look very much forward to watching this. The dark, sort of old-school premise wrapped in the style of a cheery children's film appeals to me deeply.

DiscoTek continues to be a fantastic company. I seriously wonder how they do it, because I can't imagine that the market for their particular products is especially large. However they pull it if, I'm so very glad that they do. (They gave me Galaxy Express 999 on DVD; for that, I shall always love them)

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
So this is Bambi except instead of happy, sparkly, YAY SPRING! "la la la la la twit twittery twit twittery" right after the mother's death we get THIS. Very Happy

They see you as small and helpless
They see you as just a child
Surprise when they find out that a warrior will soon run wild

Welcome to a world of new solutions
Welcome to a world of bloody evolution
In time-your heart will open minds
A story will be told
And victory is in a simple soul

RAWR, SHEEP RUN WILD.

I am definitely interested in this. Thanks, Discotek! You just keep proving how awesome you guys are.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
yes! thank you discotek

I don't know if I'm ready to watch this movie again.
But I am always ready for some vintage Sanrio anime.

Hopefully "Yousei Florence" is next? maybe?
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Seen this before. It was grim and depressing, but beautiful. Definitely deserves a license rescue, for sure.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
*GAAAASSSP* OMFG! This was one of the anime I most wanted licensed (the others are like, LoGH and old 80s series, naturally, but this was the one I most thought could actually happen) and it has happened! Discotek just keeps getting points with me! Instant buy for me, depressing yet hauntingly beautiful movie. What was up with Sanrio making such depressing kid's movies though, I will never know and possibly never truly care.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they'll grab Star of Cottonland someday, that's one of the great 1984 films
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic news. More Sanrio please, especially everybody's second-favorite Fantasia imitator! Hell, I'd even buy Winds of Change.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:17 am Reply with quote
Looks intresting now i've seen more then only the cover picture seems i'll be buying a lot of discotec soon they got some awesome line up coming up.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:43 am Reply with quote
I remember reading about "Ringing Bell" in "The Anime Encyclopedia" It was very dark and gloomy. I read that it looks like a Disney movie but has a plot straight out of Shakespeare,Aeschylus,and Eugene O'Neill. I'm not going to buy "Ringing Bell." It's about as much fun to watch as a traffic accident. I can live without this one in my anime collection.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2