• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Special Guest Edition: Cyborg 009

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raneth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:18 am Reply with quote
Wait wait wait.

You're telling me that after spoiler[009 and 002 die at the end of volume 10] there are 26 more volumes? To Google!

I loved this series. I read the Tokyopop editions and I really want to watch the CG movie that was released last year.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:10 pm Reply with quote
A shame this never caught on here. I really liked the anime too.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I wish Sony would give us our Cyborg 009 DVD boxsets which are long overdue. They could at least stream it on Crackle.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
When will the remaining 26 volumes be online? It's been months since Vol. 10 came out...

Also, Sony does need to finish their DVDs of the 2001 anime. They only released 8 out of 51 episodes to DVD (but all were dubbed and shown on Toonami). If they don't have it anymore, then hopefully someone else picks up the license (FUNimation would be good since they have the new movie). Maybe Sony will do a MOD release like a couple of their other anime properties. I used to watch the show all the time when it was on Toonami when I was younger.

It would also be cool if the original two anime series (1967, 1979) and movies (1966, 1980) were picked up by a company like Discotek.
vashna

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I just heard Jason Thompson on the Weekly Shonen Jump Podcast from Viz. While he mentioned the show, he didn't mention Cyborg 009 directly. I wonder if he wasn't allowed to for whatever reason. Presumably copyright reasons I mean. Did anyone else get a chance to hear the podcast? It was nice to hear Anime News Network get some publicity.
GVman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I've emailed Comixology about the rest of Cyborg 009. They said they'd be glad to put up more of the series if IshiPro would give it to them. I guess the problem is on IshiPro's end... In all likelihood, the delay is likely because Tokyopop never did these later volumes. IshiPro was able to just scan the Tokyopop volumes and throw them up on Comixology. Everything else they're having to do from scratch.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote
vashna wrote:
I just heard Jason Thompson on the Weekly Shonen Jump Podcast from Viz. While he mentioned the show, he didn't mention Cyborg 009 directly. I wonder if he wasn't allowed to for whatever reason. Presumably copyright reasons I mean. Did anyone else get a chance to hear the podcast? It was nice to hear Anime News Network get some publicity.

I'm not sure what you mean about mentioning 'the show', do you mean House of 1000 Manga? I didn't talk about this specific column (which is written by Shaenon Garrity since I was out of town), but I did talk about a bunch of things; the Shonen Jump people apparently cut some of it for time reasons, but not censorship.
vashna

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Ah, really sorry Ptolemy. I never realized that you replied. I did mean the House of 1000 Manga. I wasn't sure why they had cut things out. I wasn't decrying censorship, but I wasn't sure how much you were allowed to play on there. They always seem to have about an hour or so of content in that podcast, so time limitations make sense I suppose.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1