• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anohana Film Opens With 198 Million Yen

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quote
When can I see this movie? D:
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quote
nice
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully, they will do a good job of condensing the series, though it is going to take a lot of good writing to do that.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:58 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
When can I see this movie? D:

If you're in Japan, right now.

BD's will come eventually but might take awhile. I can't wait for this though. It's been awhile since I've seen Anohana.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The film retells the anohana story from the character Menma's point of view with a new epilogue.

spoiler[
Even if it's just a dream or something, I'd want to see Menma get married like she wanted.]
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:49 am Reply with quote
Need to watch this. Missed out on getting advanced tickets. All my friends who watched it said they cried. ^^;
bin1127

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:49 am Reply with quote
japan really likes their ghost movies.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:42 am Reply with quote
I don't want to wait any longer! Laughing I think this will have to be an import job when its released, I guess, next year. Glad to see its had a solid opening.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
I don't want to wait any longer! Laughing I think this will have to be an import job when its released, I guess, next year. Glad to see its had a solid opening.

There's a chance it might get a US release considering that NISA released the series in the USA and Siren Visuals released it in AU/NZ.

Eeps .. it's Hanabee who released it in AU/NZ!!
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:00 pm Reply with quote
So a movie that grosses $2 million in its opening weekend ranks 3rd in box-office sales. In Hollywood, you'd need another zero on the end of that figure to be taken seriously. A film that grossed $20 million in its first weekend ranks about 700th all time.

Some of this difference obviously represents the fact that Japan has a third the population of the US. Moreover, in the US at least, the 12-24 demographic dominates movie ticket sales. If Japanese movie attendees also skew young, that further limits the theatrical audience in rapidly-greying Japan.

On the other hand, Japanese movie ticket prices appear to run about three times the cost in the US. In 2011, Businessweek reported that ticket prices in Tokyo were just under $24, compared to about $8 in the US in the same year. So that $2 million in revenues works out to a whole lot fewer theater goers than it would in the US.

I know Japan has a much higher cost of living than the US overall, but you'd think movie tickets would have a pretty elastic demand curve. In such cases, cutting prices more than proportionately increases attendance so revenues grow overall. We know the market for anime on disc in Japan is highly inelastic, so maybe that's just true for entertainment in general?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
^
Also, Japan is much more a TV society in ratio to a movie society. By far their most popular celebrities are TV stars compared to movie stars. That's why, until recently, for the longest time Hollywood could control much of their movie market. So their entertainment life is skewed more around TV than theaters. Even accounting for population and price differences, there's less spending power for movies compared to America.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1