• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Afro Samurai Ratings Report

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
i'm not surprised it got such a low rating. if it was on adult swim, it would've been higher.
Angel_Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah especally since it looks like Samurai Champloo.Anime smile
SomeWhiteGuy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I think the anime was just disappointing in the fact that Sam L. Jackson hardly had any lines. The main char had one-line sentences throughout the entire time, and was always quiet. And once you think about it, that guy as the voice actor is the ONLY thing this anime has going for it. Without him, it's a regular samurai anime like all he others....
B33

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Many people do not watch Spike TV for anime. Not a huge surprise...

Should have been put on Adult Swim.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Those ratings are piss-poor, even by cable standards. I don't think Spike TV knows how to market the show. (Or any show, for that matter. Laughing )
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:35 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i'm not surprised it got such a low rating. if it was on adult swim, it would've been higher.

.6 isn't that bad a rating.

You need to put things into perspective also, it was .6 in one demo, the wrestling press release was written to make wrestling look good.

But who knows, Afro might have scored a 1.1 in some other demo...

Unfortunately Spike and Funimation haven't announced details yet, so we posted about what we have... Hopefully Spike or Funi will break out the rest of the Demos soon.

-t
free2slap

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Like everyone already said this is no surprise at all.

i didn't even know what channel spiketv was till i asked someone.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I don't know much about ratings. Can someone explain this to me and why it's apparently bad?

If it matters, I watched the episode streaming on the Internet, so perhaps many viewers did that instead of watching it on TV.

Or not.
Strephon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:48 pm Reply with quote
SomeWhiteGuy wrote:
I think the anime was just disappointing in the fact that Sam L. Jackson hardly had any lines. The main char had one-line sentences throughout the entire time, and was always quiet. And once you think about it, that guy as the voice actor is the ONLY thing this anime has going for it. Without him, it's a regular samurai anime like all he others....

Jackson had plenty of lines...remember, he was the sidekick as well as the main character.
madpierrot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that everyone is saying how bad it did. I mean a .6 is like what between 600,000 and 700,000 people? Adult Swim anime is very lucky to hit 500,000 I believe so it beat that out. Of course you have to take into account day and time, but still, how good was everyone expecting it to be. I still wonder about the target audience here. I mean are Spike viewers really ones to watch anime? Considering everything I'm not going to say it did bad.
emory

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:18 am Reply with quote
madpierrot wrote:
I'm surprised that everyone is saying how bad it did. I mean a .6 is like what between 600,000 and 700,000 people?

With men 18-34, more like around 200,000 people. Maybe a smidge over.
Proz512

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:39 am Reply with quote
Million Dollar Cliched Series.

After watching the first episode, you can already predict what's going to happen and who Afro is going to fight along with how it's going to end spoiler[considering every single major villain has a giant number on them who fights Afro in order at least in the first episode] I wasn't sure if I was I watching Ninja Scroll, Aeon Flux or Samurai Champloo. It was like all 3 three smashed then rehashed.

Not even Samuel's one-liners can save this series. Not even Adult Swim could bring the viewers if it was shown on there. The trailer leading up to it was cool but the rest was a let down.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:06 am Reply with quote
Actually, it has one more saving grace. The art in it is fairly unique. Other than that... yeah...

BUT, as people have already pointed out, most people who would want to check out the first episode just watched a streaming version of it on the internet.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:08 am Reply with quote
Finally got around to watching that steaming pile the other night, and the stench of it rained down like a manhole cover after exploding ... I am shocked even .6 people stuck through the entire episode.

The only thing that piques my interest is seeing the MSRP for the DVD release ... $20 Spike and $40 uncut. What could they possibly add that would make that Boondocks+Dead Leaves=Samurai Champloo-wannabe (without being remotely halfway as good as any of them) worth twice as much? Or even worth the base price? Aside from a written apology in blood and a voucher for a GOOD Funimation release.
energydan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:56 am Reply with quote
It wasn't very good. I watched it simply because it was on and I happened to be channel surfing. I doubt I'll be tuning in every week, probably just catching an episode here and there. Like a few others have said, it's a "been there, done that" kind of show where you can predict everything just from watching the first 5 minutes, but without any other charm to keep you watching.

However, I wouldn't mind seeing Spike air more anime, since they can pretty much show and say whatever they want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2