• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Licenses Death Note Anime for Download

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minuet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
itunes! Put it on itunes! Very Happy

Will it be in Japanese or english?
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Call me a luddite, but I still prefer spending my money on real physical objects. I don't like paying for something stored on a hard drive.I'm certainly interested in Deathnote on DVD, but I'm hesitant for paying for anything downloaded. The only time I would really consider it is if it was a very small company or band trying to get known. With Viz and Deathnote, I'd rather wait for the DVD format.
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Not a series I'm interested in, but I like the idea and I'd certainly consider supporting it (price dependent) for a series I like.
cl4y

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm very interested in how this works out for them. We obviously don't know the details yet, but who knows to what extent this could potentially change the US anime industry? I, for one, would be thrilled to have an alternative to fansubs and dvd's.

This is perfect for me when it comes to Death Note, as I don't like the anime enough to buy the dvd's (the manga spoiled me), but I like it enough to support it in a less expensive way. If this turns out to be a quality service for a reasonable price, then Viz'll get money from me that they wouldn't otherwise. I hope the potential of this release format isn't wasted on poor implementation.

Edit:
p.s. - It's not likely to happen, but I hope this kills the bootleggers.
TWXM

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote
The two groups that were fansubbing it, Live-Evil and Toriyama's World, have stopped because it was liscensed.
Eos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:22 pm Reply with quote
minuet wrote:
itunes! Put it on itunes! Very Happy

Will it be in Japanese or english?

Most likely subtitled in English, if they plan on releasing it very soon after the originally airing. This is a clever idea, it flies in the face of the "I'll continue to download because the DVD's will take a while to come out" logic. I'm looking forward to buying them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:22 pm Reply with quote
More than two groups were subbing it. One group released a torrent for the first ten episodes earlier today.

I can see this working if its used as a sort of rental or targeted at people that don't normally buy DVDs, or perhaps even watch anime regularly. For example, if Viz puts it up on the sites that people use to download movies legally, they could reach new consumers. However, if they just try to do this to get extra money out of current fans that normally buy the DVDs, it will probably won't work out too well.

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Wha? What about a physical release? Will that come later? And will these episodes be subbed?

The biggest question though, is price. Generally, people who buy TV shows are used to the $2 price tag perpetuated by iTunes and Xbox Live. ADV's download service charges $5 an episode. I don't know how much business ADV's online store, but I think by doing a download-first release, Viz is either shooting for a niche within a niche, or they're making use of an excellent promotional tool and collecting a few bucks on the side before they cash in on a DVD release down the road.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Wha? What about a physical release? Will that come later? And will these episodes be subbed?

It will certainly be released on DVD at somepoint, though when is still unknown. Whether the downloads will be dubbed, subbed or both is unknown at this point.
Faceman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:45 pm Reply with quote
What would be cool, is if you bought the episodes online, it made you elegible for some sort of rebate on the physical DVDs once they come out. An insentive for people to try the first few episodes, or to get people to get it on as many mediums as possible.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:54 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
However, if they just try to do this to get extra money out of current fans that normally buy the DVDs, it will probably won't work out too well.

I don't think Viz is doing it for that reason. I think, like I think they do with everything else they do, that they are just trying to give service to their fans. That's why I like Viz so much, they care more about their fans than themselves, and I think that if every licencing company had this attitude, this world would be a better place.
struttgart

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:54 pm Reply with quote
GimmeGimmeGimme!!!!

I think this is a great idea. I would agree that it would be very cool if Viz offered a discount style incentive like mentioned above but I do not think that is likely. Regardless, I will be in line to D/L the episodes assuming they are subbed in english.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:55 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
That's why I like Viz so much, they care more about their fans than themselves, and I think that if every licencing company had this attitude, this world would be a better place.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing *gasping for breath* Laughing
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quote
The way I see it is that Viz is going to milk this series for all it's worth now that its popularity has peaked, why don't they just dub the DVDs as they are released in Japan?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:06 pm Reply with quote
It sounds like a good plan to me, to allow people who are following the series as it is released in Japan to continue to do so. It will be interesting to see if it works out as well as is hoped.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7