• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime News Network Australia

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleuster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait to see what this Australian Anime scene I've been hearing about!

happy A-Day
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BleuVII

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:03 am Reply with quote
This is cool and all, but I thought the Australian and Canada/USA anime scenes were virtually the same. I am curious to hear some of the differences. Would anyone care to enlighten me?
violetsquirrel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:04 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
This is cool and all, but I thought the Australian and Canada/USA anime scenes were virtually the same. I am curious to hear some of the differences. Would anyone care to enlighten me?

Mostly we have less things licenced and less anime on TV. We usually only get things well after the US does, so it's actually really nice to see reviews go up for anime/manga that are being released here now. I know we use the US dub tracks, but I'm not sure how much the releases differ in other areas. It's nice to get news about when anime is going to be on our TV as opposed to seeing the weekly roundup of what's on US/Canadian TV.

And of course we have our own conventions and anime clubs and companies involved. Speaking of which, congratulations Jon Very Happy Delighted to see our state leading the way Wink

BTW, the acronym in the article should be JAFWA, not JAMWA Razz Confusing with JAMWAF, I know...
animecritixx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:29 am Reply with quote
It is good news Australia now has it's own anime site! And launched on Australia Day, our celebration of the first fleet into Sydney Harbour. I am looking forward to keeping up with the news that is relevent to Australians! Good work! Smile
Amasa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:54 am Reply with quote
This is great news! Anime catgrin I hope the Forums live a little though, I'd be interested to just how big Anime Australia actually is.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:58 am Reply with quote
Does this mean our Stevetheeunich won't be coming here to be a miserable old git then? I bet he's a mod there as well. Wink Laughing
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Does this mean our Stevetheeunich won't be coming here to be a miserable old git then? I bet he's a mod there as well. Wink Laughing

Ahhh Steve, we'll miss you.

-t
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm somewhat confused about this. Wasn't ANN (Australia) launched sometime ago? I could of swore that there was a site up, or is it now that it has original content by Australian?

Tempest wrote:
Ahhh Steve, we'll miss you.

Wait what happened to Steve? He's not coming back, or is it that he's going to be spending his day yelling at his fellow country men (and women)?
speedfreek19

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:42 pm Reply with quote
It was up, but not much was there, at the most, just a bit of news really. I imagine this is the official launch Wink
10円

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:27 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like nothing more than needless dilution to me.

Websites are generally viewable by everyone (except by folks in China and several overly religious states thanks in part to sympathetic American-based companies like Cisco), so why go out of your way to divide them up along geographical or political boundaries? Nothing in the article seems to explain why or how dividing it up helps the fan audience as a whole.
Gage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:25 pm Reply with quote
ANN Australia has been around before this news was posted on ANN USA. - Nothing all too new.

Although being the news fan boy like myself I hope that the news for ANN AU will be posted on time. Razz
Jubet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
so why go out of your way to divide them up along geographical or political boundaries?

Because Australia has a different release system than the USA? Anime and manga is released different times, if at all, so it could be useful to know when a particular anime/manga is coming to Australia.
10円

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Jubet wrote:
Quote:
so why go out of your way to divide them up along geographical or political boundaries?

Because Australia has a different release system than the USA? Anime and manga is released different times, if at all, so it could be useful to know when a particular anime/manga is coming to Australia.

I have no problem understanding why people want to have release date information and reviews that apply to their local area, but why not just add another column to the main website instead of creating two or more websites? I've already gone on the record saying that far too much of the original Newtype USA layout was geared toward Japanese information and release dates, but that was a printed magazine released exclusively in North America and not a website. Half of the promise of the internet is based on the idea that physical and political boundaries are virtually wiped clean. Arbitrarily reimposing these boundaries only serves to needlessly fracture the audience.
Jubet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:11 pm Reply with quote
It sounds like this Australian site is a tester for other international sites, and if ANN had the release dates for all countries it could become complicated especially if they are released at different times (which they often are). Would notice be given for different releases in different countries? That could get confusing. If another column was added, it probably wouldn't cover all the events, while the content would be interesting only to a limited amount of people. The sites are connected, being run by some of the same people and I imagine would have some of the same content, but is marketed to a different audience.

Quote:
Half of the promise of the internet is based on the idea that physical and political boundaries are virtually wiped clean. Arbitrarily reimposing these boundaries only serves to needlessly fracture the audience.

Despite not wanting it, there are lines between people. What interests me, might not interest you. I doubt there are that many people in the USA interested in the release of anime/manga in other countries who don't work in the industry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1