• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
To 24 or not to 24: Episode count preference.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's Your Episode Count Preference?
--Bot Trap Activated! Initiate Cleansing Protocol 3.1--
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
13 Episodes
25%
 25%  [ 30 ]
26 Episodes
41%
 41%  [ 49 ]
26+ Episodes (for series like DBZ, InuYasha, One Piece)
12%
 12%  [ 15 ]
Other, and let me tell you why!
17%
 17%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 118

lilredphoenix

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I prefer longer anime series or shows so something that is about 24 or 26 episodes are right up my alley, but in saying that I also don't care for some of the episodes to be fillers or those dreaded re-caps which seem un-necessary and just waste time then maybe it should have been created to be a shorter version. There also have been 12 or 13 episode series I wish could have been longer since there was so much going on with back ground history and character development it seemed rushed and a bit too jam packed, could have been drawn out a bit more. It just really depends on the anime.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:32 am Reply with quote
However long it takes to effectively tell the story gets my vote, though frankly I tend to find that 13-26 episodes is the general "sweet spot" for actually getting that done. Most of my favorite series, as well as those that I felt truly excelled in the storytelling department, tend to fit into that range. If a series is big and epic enough in scope, 52 episodes will work just fine (Twelve Kingdoms, Fullmetal Alchemist, and most Gundam or Macross series come to mind here), but I tend to find that most series that go longer start to hit rough patches or derail completely due to repetition, becoming too bloated & cumbersome, or other similar reasons. Though I was a big fan of each at one point, Naruto, Bleach, & Inu-Yasha each lost its appeal at roughly around the 52-episode mark, and even those long series I have an odd soft spot for (hi, DBZ) are still plagued by issues with plot and pacing that are hard to ignore or defend.

Never mind the fact that long-running series like that tend to be big financial burdens to buy.

One trend I have enjoyed in the last decade or so, however, has been the tendency to release a series in small, 13-26-episode bits and keep adding to it for as long as the show remains successful. Maria-sama ga Miteru, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Black Lagoon, Big O, Rozen Maiden, & Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei all went this route and it worked out really well, as it kept each series from overstaying its welcome and required that the story be concluded at certain regular intervals which prevented the pacing from getting out of hand. Though some series don't get proper conclusions by going this route (again, Big O, Rozen Maiden), it still offers a way to have longer series that don't fall prey to many of the issues that eventually plague those long series that run in one large chunk.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I think it depends on the show that I'm watching. If the anime show that I'm watching is going to keep bringing out episodes that bring out new content sporadically, I'll keep watching it, even if the episode count rises above 200. Smile
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:12 pm Reply with quote
13 is the way to go! No filler, its easy to finish even if the shows sucks and it does not take up years of your time. Angel Beats, HOTD, true tears, baccano (16), anohana etc etc
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:09 am Reply with quote
I'm torn between 26 and 13 episodes. 13 because of the tight storytelling and absence of fillers, 26 because I like to spend a little bit more time with the characters I've grown to like and watch them grow and develop, with some time for quieter moments and reflection in between the main storytelling. Everything above 26 episodes has to have a pretty good reason and planning ahead of the creators to keep me invested over a long period of time. I very much prefer a fixed and planned story arc over an ongoing series, for time management reasons alone.
tenzen12

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:35 am Reply with quote
I think 26 episode provide the greatest guarantee of quality. 13 episodes are often less ambitous and just filling airing spot and 50 have usualy pacing problems or become repetative soon.

Of course there are also times when project is interesting but lacking ability to appeal general public. These also might be one coured and still be great (NotaminA stuffs for example)
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:35 am Reply with quote
The number of episodes an anime should run at would depend on how long the story or source material is. If it's a title focused on a minimal number of characters, has a short manga/ novel run and/ or has a plot that is low on scale, then a one season run would be enough in most instances to showcase the series in its entirety. If there are many characters focused on and the series has a more grand or complex plot, then a longer episode run would be necessary. However, there should be long-term planning by studios with how far one should try expanding a series and to ensure the quality of its title is consistent throughout its run to ensure viewers stick around for the long term. Titles like Monster and Legend of the Galactic Heroes are very memorable for their grand, complex plots and large casts, which the studios behind them did a very commendable job with to stay very faithful to the source material without the addition of filler or recaps and consistently maintaining the story's pacing and mood throughout its run, even when running for over a year of TV time and running as an OVA series for nearly a decade. Long-running shounen anime titles like Bleach and Naruto tend to suffer quality-wise in many instances since their source material is made to be as dragged out as possible, which can lead to repetitive plot developments, character development slowed to a screeching halt and the makers of the anime having to resort to filler arcs and recap episodes to drag things out in the anime adaptation when they catch up with the manga source material.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:31 am Reply with quote
I liked animes with episodes up to 30...Thank you...
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Let me preface by saying that my favorite anime series are original works that are not adaptations from previews material (manga, light novels, games). Because I am a fan of well told stories with characters with depth, series with 25-50 episodes tend to make the most sense because the creators have plenty of time to develop them.

That being said, I voted for 13 episodes. Now that I am watching series as they air, I find it more comfortable to follow series for only 3 months as opposed to half a year or a full year. I like anime series with well told stories and characters with depth, but one-cour, original series like Anohana have shown that short animes can be very complete experiences.

Adaptations tend to suffer under the one-cour format, but there are exceptions like Kids on the Slope and Bunny Drop. 13 episode series have good and bad points, but if they are done right you can enjoy a great experience in about 5 hours.
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:35 am Reply with quote
Four cour is my favourite. Or even five and above (just not One Piece length pls)
SolidSnake1111

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I chose Other. It depends on the series because some plots can go on for 26+ episodes while some need less to maintain its quality.

I think One Piece has gone on for long enough though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2