• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Adding Manga

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:52 pm Reply with quote
What do I have to do to add manga? I filled out the submission form a good month and a half ago, and I am waiting for the title to appear. I know the title exists, because I am looking at the tankubon right now! It is sitting on my shelf. As far as I can tell, no new manga has been added to the encyclopedia for quite some time.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:37 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
As far as I can tell, no new manga has been added to the encyclopedia for quite some time.

animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/recently-added.php

Let me tell you (and whoever is waiting his/her submissions approved) how new title approval works:

1: Find out if it is already in the Encyclopedia. A single letter typo and/or a punctuation sign can make all the difference. Furthermore, in some cases the title already in the Encyc is only in English or Japanese romaji, and user who made the "new" submission used the title in the other language (or, in some rarer cases, the third language e.g. French or Italian). To verify this I have to search the Encyc with both romaji and the translation, plus using Google in both romaji and kanji, as well as Amazon.jp and even Yahoo! Japan Auction (especially for vintage titles).

Takes: 5-30 minutes, depending on the source given by submitter.

2. Find out if it exists in the correct format. This may sound silly, but I've seen numerous submissions misidentified formats (mostly for anime though), confused anime with manga, mixed it with different titles in a big family of related titles (e.g. Pokemon), or speculated a nonexistent sequel.

Takes: 5-60 minutes; easy for recent titles, but difficult for vintage titles or titles with multiple sequels/prequels/spinoffs.

3. Add fundamental information. Once certain that the said title is not in the Encyc yet and truly exists, it would be approved and listed, but in order to let most, if not all, ANN users to recognize which title has just been approved (and discourage other trying to submit the same title again), I'd add at least some basic information, including Japanese title in kanji and romaji, English title / title in other languages (if applicable), Japanese author(s) and publisher(s). If possible I'd add vintage, serialization info, number of tankoubon and pages per volume, genre, a picture, or even write a plot summary for it (especially if I've read it personally).

Takes: 5-30 minutes, depending how much info I can find.

You see, in the end approving one title takes 15 to 120 minutes. If I can dedicate myself three hours of my personal free time for ANN per day, I can approve up to 12 or down to 1.5 titles. Then I don't have time to watch anime or read manga. Great. Just great.

Wanna know how many manga titles still waiting in the line? 630 by now, with the oldest submission from July 2005. I don't want to sound like making myself an important and irreplaceable asset to ANN, but please give some credits to one who have spend the last three months approving >90% new titles (~500) alone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:20 am Reply with quote
Well in that case I am wondering when PantsGoblin be allowed to add titles to the encyclopedia? Out of curiosity.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:34 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the detailed explanation. In the submission page, if you provided spots for that basic information, we as the users could help.

For example, one of the titles that I submitted was "Eureka seveN: Gravity Boys and Lifting Girl". For basic information, I can tell you that the English title is the official title. It is transliterated into Japanese as "エウレカセブン:グラヴィティボーイス&リフティンガール". It is a manga spinoff of Eureka 7 (TV) and Eureka 7 (manga), published by Kadokawa Comics A. It is two tankubon, 371 pages, and retails at 540 and 580 yen for volumes 1 and 2 respectively. I can even give you the chapter titles:

VOLUME 1

01 SKYLINE
02 BLUEBIRD
03 CROSSROAD
04 CHALLENGER
05 SILVER GHOST
06 FAIRLADY

VOLUME 2

07 CHASER
08 LIFE
09 LIBERTY
10 FAIRLADY-Z
11 AIR WAVE
12 INSPIRE
13 MUSTANG
14 NEW WAVE

I think I have proved my point, though I can even list the script writers for each chapter. However, my point is this: we can help you. We really appreaciate the work you're doing Smile , and we understand how much time it takes. However, the fans can definately help.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:44 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Thanks for the detailed explanation. In the submission page, if you provided spots for that basic information, we as the users could help.

The submission form's URL field will accept any text, not just URLs, up to field's limit for the number of characters (I have yet to find that limit, which is probably over 255 characters—I've submitted four or five URLs and other information at a time).
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:50 am Reply with quote
Done. Thank you for saving me a great deal of time.

Right now I only set it as "related to" anime version of E7. What would be the most appropriate relationship, to anime or manga?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:08 am Reply with quote
It's strange, actually. It is DEFINATELY a spinoff of the anime, and it is a direct prequel to the video game series. However, the main E7 manga features a character from this spinoff, so you would have to list it as related to the manga. Hope that helps. In the future, if I submit a manga to the encyclopedia, how can I help you with this information?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1