• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Box Office, September 14-15

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mierin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Toei Animation and Shinji Aramaki's CG-animated Space Pirate Captain Harlock film fell from #2 to #7 in its second weekend.

I'm surprised. I thought it would do better than that.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:08 am Reply with quote
Maybe the film just isn't good? It's not like all of Leiji properties are great just because.
StormSky92

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:19 am Reply with quote
A film called "Ataru" took over the #1 spot, in case anyone was wondering, and didn't check the sources.
Helius

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:09 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Maybe the film just isn't good? It's not like all of Leiji properties are great just because.

I'm slightly worried that the film has only managed to earn close to $3 million against its $30 million budget, it might not be able to break-even, let alone turning a profit, throughout its run... Confused
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I feel really stupid, but I thought that the Wind Rises had made $1 BILLION. Turns out that I really messed that up, and it only grossed $100 million. Never ask me to be your market analyst or accountant.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:42 am Reply with quote
Helius wrote:
I'm slightly worried that the film has only managed to earn close to $3 million against its $30 million budget, it might not be able to break-even, let alone turning a profit, throughout its run... Confused

Don't forget, if Japan works remotely like Hollywood, you have to double the break-even budget on top of the production budget for things like marketing and splitting costs with theaters. So it probably needs to earn more like $50-60m to be any kind of success. Still, it may have a presence on BD/DVD, but I feel like this was supposed to be a hit for everyone in theaters, not just disc-buying otaku. Even if it sold 100k on BD at ~$70, that would still barely help against the budget, and that scenario will never happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1