• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hunter X Hunter Moves From Sunday Mornings to Late Tuesday Nights

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quote
The series' more extreme visuals as of late are likely the reason for this happening and I'm glad the production committee chose this over creating a softer work.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Without TV ratings I'm a bit concerned for the longevity of the adaptation. It's not doing well with home video and the manga, as far as I know, is still on hiatus. So over time (Chimera Ant arc is pretty long) I'm concerned that this timeslot change will have a negative effect on the longevity of the show.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I honestly thought this had already happened. Damn, should have been watching on TV. Well, it totally makes sense. I can't understand how anyone thought it was OK to air the Chimera Ant arc on morning
TV. I think York Shin barely cut it.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
this is not a kids show. Well, atleast for American standard.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:06 am Reply with quote
Ignoring the 'oh goody it's finally out of that kiddie timeslot' mindset, dosen't anyone find his a tad worrying? Like Megiddo this could effect how much longer this series lasts. I'll enjoy the upped content (though honestly I thought the TV series was doing well enough as it was.) but I'll say this: TOGASHI IT'S TIME TO GET BACK TO WORK!!!!
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:07 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Without TV ratings I'm a bit concerned for the longevity of the adaptation. It's not doing well with home video and the manga, as far as I know, is still on hiatus. So over time (Chimera Ant arc is pretty long) I'm concerned that this timeslot change will have a negative effect on the longevity of the show.
I'm sharing the exact same concerns. Just how is this show going to succeed with it moving to late-night?

Does anyone know of other shows that have had this happen in the past, moving from mornings to late-night?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote
Heh, works fine for me. I had a lot of shows to watch every Saturday anyways.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lostrune

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Maybe it's the other way around. Since the anime won't last another year before it reaches the manga hiatus point they're shoving it off to a dead slot and giving the prime Sunday morning timeslot to a new up and coming kids show to promote. The 2011 Hunter x Hunter anime is on it's last legs.. get ready for another reboot in 10 years Laughing Tagashi might have wrote another 30 chapters by then!
labmember001

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:17 am Reply with quote
It's not going to last long in this time slot. I can't imagine its blu-ray/dvd sales bring in anywhere near enough to pay for it. I think it is definitely too dark to get a kid's timeslot now, but this is a fatal blow. The second movie will probably flop too, as parents won't take their kids to it, and the kids probably won't care since they won't see it on tv anymore anyways. Maybe it'll make it another 2 cours, if we're lucky Sad
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:58 am Reply with quote
I wonder if it's cause of the violence. I mean the show was already pretty dark, but Chimera Ant took this series way beyond the usual Shounen Jump territory. I have a feeling they're probably gonna end the anime after this arc. Hopefully I'm wrong.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:52 am Reply with quote
With the manga not looking to resume any time soon, they are running out of material so will have to end in the near future.
Add in the upped violence for this arc, and you can see the reasoning with this.
Sad times as I thought the manga would have resumed with the anime being rebooted.
Such a shame.
dan9999

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:26 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

It aint THAT long, we are like halfway through it maybe. Its not wont live more than a year, maybe less-

lostrune wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Maybe it's the other way around. Since the anime won't last another year before it reaches the manga hiatus point they're shoving it off to a dead slot and giving the prime Sunday morning timeslot to a new up and coming kids show to promote. The 2011 Hunter x Hunter anime is on it's last legs.. get ready for another reboot in 10 years Laughing Tagashi might have wrote another 30 chapters by then!

Indeed THIS. Like I mentioned above, I keep up with the manga, this will be over next year, in a yea or could be less, it cold be over by fall 2014.

v1cious wrote:
I wonder if it's cause of the violence. I mean the show was already pretty dark, but Chimera Ant took this series way beyond the usual Shounen Jump territory. I have a feeling they're probably gonna end the anime after this arc. Hopefully I'm wrong.

There is NOTHING else to adapt aside from the elections after chimera ant. The anime will catch up to the manga not far from now and remember HxH has he lazies mangaka ever.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:40 am Reply with quote
>and ran every Sunday at 10:55 a.m.

Seriously? Here in Kyushu, it's always been on in the wee hours of Monday morning. Usually 2:00 am or later (it floats around a bit from week to week). I am kind of flabbergasted that even Japan would show YorkNew City -- let alone the Chimera ants -- in primo children's time.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:55 am Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
HxH has the laziest mangaka ever.

Nobody's worse than Miura.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:57 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
>and ran every Sunday at 10:55 a.m.

Seriously? Here in Kyushu, it's always been on in the wee hours of Monday morning. Usually 2:00 am or later (it floats around a bit from week to week). I am kind of flabbergasted that even Japan would show YorkNew City -- let alone the Chimera ants -- in primo children's time.

Apparently most of the affiliates running the show also aired it late at night as well. One of the three that were running it the same day as NTV also switched to late night at some point too.

But yes, I am surprised with the way Japanese standards are, that Hunter x Hunter got away with what it did that early in the morning. The only other bizarre time slot a number years back where something similar happened was with Eureka 7, airing Sunday mornings (I believe) at around 7/7:30AM, though that was on TBS.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2