• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Announces Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic Dub Cast

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
The video is listed as private
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Dang, they are using a female VA for Aladdin Sad The majority of the time I don't like how it sounds when a woman voices a male character. Aladdin's apparent age is pretty young though which makes it better.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't see Bryce Papenbrook, Christine Marie Cabanos, or Darrel Guilbeau's names anywhere.

This pleases me. Very Happy
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:14 pm Reply with quote
How many Arabian themed anime are there?
Crystal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
Dang, they are using a female VA for Aladdin Sad The majority of the time I don't like how it sounds when a woman voices a male character. Aladdin's apparent age is pretty young though which makes it better.

Um, that's pretty much an animation standard. And it happened in Japanese too. Alot. They did it in the days of Rocky & Bullwinkle, they do it in the Simpsons and King of the Hill (both of which are longrunners) . . . they do it because men don't have "as" close kids' voices (although it can be a cool character voice sometimes) and they don't like to use kids in TV shows (although often in films) because their voice will change over time. Does seem a little odd they do it in anime that's only supposed to be one season if the VA won't ever play the character again, but it's also because kids can be harder to work with at times.
Sobe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
That English VA for Alibaba is REALLY close to the Japanese VA, LOL. I'm surprised no one has made a comment on that yet.
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote
This sounds pretty great! Aladdin sounds so adorable!
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:44 pm Reply with quote
The dub sounds fine, I laughed at Judal's voice though, he sounds so pathetic, since I consider Judal fairly pathetic it fits finely Anime hyper

Well it doesn't matter much to me though since I have no plans to buy the anime when the manga is already being sold here.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Alibaba voice is sooooooo good.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
Tris8 wrote:

Um, that's pretty much an animation standard. And it happened in Japanese too. Alot. They did it in the days of Rocky & Bullwinkle, they do it in the Simpsons and King of the Hill (both of which are longrunners) . . . they do it because men don't have "as" close kids' voices (although it can be a cool character voice sometimes) and they don't like to use kids in TV shows (although often in films) because their voice will change over time. Does seem a little odd they do it in anime that's only supposed to be one season if the VA won't ever play the character again, but it's also because kids can be harder to work with at times.
Yes, I know. And still don't like it. Erica Mendez sounds like she does a good job from the trailer but in a perfect world I would have liked a male to voice Aladdin.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Aladdin is a 10 year old boy or whatever. Unless they could get an actual kid to voice him, keep male voice actors away from him... I don't want to hear an adult voice coming from Aladdin
Sobe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Aladdin is a 10 year old boy or whatever. Unless they could get an actual kid to voice him, keep male voice actors away from him... I don't want to hear an adult voice coming from Aladdin

Assuming all male VA, English or Japanese, have the same deep voice that is not capable of a wide range like Daisuke Namikawa is a bit ignorant and judgmental. There are some out there but they're rare which isn't helped by the fact that there aren't many male English VA compared to how many male Japanese VA there are.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Okay I was able to access it now

Most of the voices sound pretty good except Alibaba (although I am not a big fan of his seiyuu either) or Sinbad (love his seiyuu so that is disappointing).

Aladdin is especially good, really adorable sounding.

I won't be buying this so that clip is probably all I will hear.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Sobe wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Assuming all male VA, English or Japanese, have the same deep voice that is not capable of a wide range like Daisuke Namikawa is a bit ignorant and judgmental. There are some out there but they're rare which isn't helped by the fact that there aren't many male English VA compared to how many male Japanese VA there are.

Its nearly impossible for a grown man to sound like a little boy unless it sounds very forced and unnatural. Women are perfect for playing pre-pubescent characters since it sounds natural.
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:15 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Sobe wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Its nearly impossible for a grown man to sound like a little boy unless it sounds very forced and unnatural. Women are perfect for playing pre-pubescent characters since it sounds natural.

^^^^
this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3