• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best World-Building Tournament: Concluded!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:34 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Next thing you know, some guy's going to try to retell the French Revolution from the standpoint of the English, "A Tale of Two Countries" or something. Different setting, same setting? Hey, look, you still have the Bastille, it's got to be the same. At least Dickens was closer to the time period. And country.

Conversely, how about allegory? Relegate the same situation into your own tale, don't use historical figures as character shorthand, turn the whole thing from "historical fiction", a phrase that easily turns my stomach, to outright fiction, AKA, "lies". After all, history itself is a bit of a fiction except just right after it happened.

Anime dazed
One question, can you see the difference between 'historical fiction' and 'history textbook' or 'documentary'?

By the way, the book you mentioned is titled, A Tale of Two Cities.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
As I said, "Suspect".

I'd consider pretty much everything you've said about worldbuilding to be "suspect," so I'm fine to agree to disagree on this one.
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:21 pm Reply with quote
For shows I don't know (not in short supply here) I'm using the nomination as a guideline, and I'll be rewarding well written or convincing nominations with my vote.

A1: World of Slayers

A2: Shinobi World From my read of the nominations, this show seemed to take itself more seriously

A3: Tsukuru Haven't seen either, but this seems to be more developed from my read of the nominations.

A4: France Tough choice here, but it looks like the historical setting has more potential for a developed setting.

A5: Holy Brittanian Emire: Like Galap, I'm voting this here mostly because of Akito the Exiled. Even in the short time it had, the expansion into the other continents really provided a rich background which sets up the already well developed world in the main series.

A6: Paradigm City Definitely seems to take itself more seriously.

A7: Amberground The nomination seems to explain this one better and in a more compelling way, but I have a feeling my opinion could be different if I actually saw them.

A8: Angel's Egg This one's apparently going to get destroyed, but I don't care. The world building in this is involved, beautiful, and slow paced. It is the main focus of the show, and even if the setting is metaphorical, it is absolutely the main focus.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:53 am Reply with quote
A-1: Slayers
A-2: Shinobi
A-3: Tsukuru
A-4: France
A-5: Claymore
A-6: Paradigm City
I've only seen eps at random way back in the day, but atmosphere is certainly something this series oozes (even in simple Toonami ads). I do hope to get it when Sentai re-releases it
A-7: Amberground
Based on what I've read of the manga, the world is just its own living breathing thing, it's very interesting and well done and it's great to learn more about the world too. And it's simply beautiful, most all the manga covers (and the anime ones too for that matter) have this obvious blue-purple color scheme which just works so well with the world and it's really gorgeous.
A-8: Macross
Tris8

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Woohoo! The tournament has begun!

Group A-1
World of Slayers, Slayers franchise
vs.
CLAMP Universe, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles
CLAMP Universe

Group A-2
Shinobi World, Naruto franchise
vs.
1648 Testament Era Japan, Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere
Shinobi World

Group A-3
Future Tokyo, Chobits
vs.
Tuskuru, Utawarerumono
I have seen Chobits and although I found it enjoyable enough, the one thing that constantly frustrated me was the lack of world-building. It neglected to expound upon the world in favor of what I viewed as not nearly as interesting. Tsukuru on the other hand sounds like a well-defined and interesting world so I'm voting for the show I have not seen.

Group A-4
France, The Rose of Versailles
vs.
Little Garden, Problem Children Are Coming From Another World, Aren’t They?
France. I've seen both and it pains me to vote against Little Garden in the first round but the world of France was much more fleshed out than Little Garden.

Group A-5
Island of Claymore, Claymore
vs.
Holy Brittanian Empire, Code Geass franchise
Holy Brittanian Empire

Group A-6
Paradigm City, The Big O
vs.
World of tsuritama, tsuritama
Tsuritama

Group A-7
Amberground, Tegami Bachi: Letter Bee/Reverse
vs.
World of Arslan, Heroic Legend of Arslan
Tegami Bachi has its flaws, but the development of Amberground isn't one of them. In fact, it was the best part of the show for me. From the 3 main districts, to the intense security of crossing between them, to the distinct lifestyle differences between districts, this world is fully realized and very compelling.

Group A-8
World of Angel’s Egg, Angel’s Egg
vs.
Macross Universe, Macross franchise
I have seen Angel's Egg and not Macross, but what I've heard of the Macross franchise coupled with my extreme confusion after watching Angel's Egg makes this vote an easy one.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Just a heads-up that we're down to only 23 hours left on voting for this week, so don't dawdle too much longer if you intend to vote.

And unfortunately I don't have a running total, as I have been much too busy this weekend to get around to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote
^ It seems 13 people have voted so far.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
vs.

Group A-2
vs.

Group A-3
Future Tokyo, Chobits
vs.
Tuskuru, Utawarerumono

Future Tokyo, Chobits

Group A-4
vs.

Group A-5
vs.

Group A-6
Paradigm City, The Big O
vs.

Paradigm City, The Big O

Group A-7
vs.

Group A-8
vs.

Macross Universe, Macross franchise. The only one where I've seen enough of both to make a properly informed choice. While I think Macross deserves to be here I reckon Angel's Egg uses a pretentious shell to obfuscate an empty core.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
farichada

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:18 am Reply with quote
Group A-1
vs.

Group A-2
vs.

Despite the franchise's less than stellar reputation among the anime community, its setting is quite expansive and memorable.

Group A-3
Future Tokyo, Chobits
vs.
Tuskuru, Utawarerumono

Tuskuru[/url], Utawarerumono

At best, Future Tokyo is a borderline worthy entrant. Tskuru is something more than that with a more unique setting that gets more attention than the former.

Group A-4
vs.

Little Garden[/url], Problem Children Are Coming From Another World, Aren’t They?

France of RoV will probably win this, but I am unsure its strengths outside of its creative license. While it is obvious historical research was done for the setting, the execution is strange to say the least mainly due to the fact that setting is so overly romanticized and detached from truth that it is almost sickening that people even think the mood remotely similar to the historical truth.

Group A-5
vs.

HolyBrittanianEmpire.html]Holy Brittanian Empire[/url], Code Geass franchise

While Code Geass as a whole is a bit of a train wreck, the setting is expansive, interesting, and markedly different enough despite being historical fiction. The conflicts between the different groups and the Robespierre-esque revolutionary aura while drowning in melodrama enhances an already interesting world to the next level.

Group A-6
Paradigm City, The Big O
vs.

Paradigm City, The Big O

I suspect many will miss this due the lack of popularity of this series, and the much higher nomination count of its foe. Paradigm City reeks with character and weight while the world of tsuritama is primarily a modern day backdrop for wacky shenanigans.

Group A-7
vs.

World of Arslan[/url], Heroic Legend of Arslan

While this world hasn't aged the best against more recently created shows, the level of ambition and raw imaginative power poured into this world simply outclasses even the serene and more majestic world of Amberland.

Group A-8
vs.

Macross Universe, Macross franchise.

The Macross Universe setting is among the elite of the most distinctive settings in the mecha genre. This world also served as a creative pioneer is many areas as well. Angel's Egg world while certainly different, smothers you with pretentiousness hoping you will forget it is lacking in meaningful substance.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1

Group A-2

Group A-3

Tuskuru, Utawarerumono

I found Utawarerumono a mediocre anime in terms of plot and characters, but the world the story takes place is really coherent and interesting. The different races and the interactions are deeper than the stereotypical plot.

Group A-4

Group A-5

I felt drawn to the world of Claymore; it is scary and no one in their right mind would (probably) be like a part of it in real life, but the settings are dangerous and beautiful, and there is something so unsettling in the fight of good and evil (specially when good becomes evil) in this cruel world.

Group A-6

Group A-7

Group A-8
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
vs.

Voting for: World of Slayers

Group A-2
vs.

Voting for: 1648 Testament Era Japan

Group A-3
Future Tokyo, Chobits
vs.
Tuskuru, Utawarerumono

Voting for: Tuskuru

Group A-4
vs.

Voting for: France

Group A-5
vs.

Voting for: Holy Brittanian Empire.

The world building of Code Geass was one of the reasons that made it a great anime. I love watching entertainments where a real life event takes a different path. In Code Geass,that would be Britain winning the American Revolution.

Group A-6
Paradigm City, The Big O
vs.
Voting for: Paradigm City

Group A-7
vs.

Voting for: World of Arslan

Group A-8
vs.

Voting for: Macross Universe
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
World of Slayers, Slayers franchise vs.
Choosing: CLAMP Universe
The Slayers world is fairly run-of-the-mill fantasy. I'm not a huge fan of the CLAMP universes of Tsubasa, because they're not much more than tangentially linked, and not much time is spent developing each, but they are varied and interesting enough to move on here.

Group A-2
Shinobi World, Naruto franchise vs.
Choosing: Shinobi World
Testament Era Japan sounds like the creators just threw everything into the story without much regard as to how well it meshes. As for the Shinobi world, how ninjutsu works and the political relations between nations are respectably elaborate and decently well explained. The inclusion of more-or-less modern technology is also a refreshing change from the expected.

Group A-3
Future Tokyo, Chobits vs.
Tuskuru, Utawarerumono
Choosing: Tuskuru
I think Chobits problem here is that a large portion of the exploration of humanoid robots is done using Chi as a lens, and Chi is special, and as such, the examination of typical daily life and how it is affected by the existence of persocoms is limited. Tuskuru, on the other hand, distinctly identifies a variety of races and establishes culture and religion of its peoples.

Group A-4
France, The Rose of Versailles vs.
Choosing: France

Group A-5
Island of Claymore, Claymore vs.
Choosing: Holy Brittanian Empire
The HBE is from a world similar enough to ours to be mostly familiar, but defined and distinct. The Island of Claymore is a sturdy and well established setting, but I don't quite find it interesting for what it is. It suffers a little here for being an adaptation of an incomplete story, meaning some important facts weren't been revealed by the conclusion.

Group A-6
Paradigm City, The Big O vs.
Choosing: World of Tsuritama
I've seen neither series, and although I've heard good things about The Big O, the description of Tsuritama's world intrigued me far more.

Group A-7
Amberground, Tegami Bachi: Letter Bee/Reverse vs.
Choosing: Amberground

Group A-8
World of Angel’s Egg, Angel’s Egg vs.
Choosing: Macross
What I've heard of Angel's Egg sounds as though it's more focused on artistic merit than creating a functional world. The Macross universe has the advantage of multiple series to develop and refine technology, inter-species relations, and an authentic feeling transition of culture.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
vs.

Voting for Clamp

Group A-2
vs.

Voting for Shinobi World

Group A-3
Future Tokyo, Chobits
vs.
Tuskuru, Utawarerumono

Voting for Tsukuru. learned more about the world they lived in and the people that inhabited than I did watching a robot become human like

Group A-4
vs.

Little Garden

Group A-5
vs.

Holy Brittanian Empire, mainly because we know more about it than we do with Claymore

Group A-6
Paradigm City, The Big O
vs.

Big O

Group A-7
vs.

Amberground

Group A-8
vs.
Macross Universe, Macross franchise[/quote]

Macross
mow123

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Group A-1
vs.
World of Slayers

Group A-2
vs.
Shinobi World

The other takes too much time to go nowhere which is frustrating since the journey itself to build the world is also not enjoyable.

Group A-3
Future Tokyo, Chobits
vs.
Tuskuru, Utawarerumono
Tsukuru sounds like it has more promise.

Group A-4
vs.
France. I have serious concerns with this nomination, but I feel that the other one seems weaker based on the arguments.

Group A-5
vs.
Holy Brittanian Empire

A boundless alternate history world that is very compelling. I do see untapped potential, but with a world as huge that is to be expected. Unlike others in the same genre, the uniqueness and distinctiveness is quite high.

Group A-6
Paradigm City, The Big O
vs.
Tsuritama

Group A-7
vs.
Tegami Bachi has some glaring flaws, and the development of World of Arslan is without a doubt more involved. The complex political elements of this world is a complex web and is quite a gem to see to fruition. It's a shame that obscurity will cause it to go to an early grave. The amount of complexity almost rivals LoGH.

Group A-8
vs.
Angel's Egg is too much of a muddled artistic experiment to be considered an example of strong world building. Macross,is quite strong and has a very well developed signature brand to its world that is iconic among all mecha fans.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Round 1 Group A is now closed.

With 20 votes in (a bit of a disappointment for a first round), the results:

A-1: World of Slayers holds out against CLAMP Universe, 11-9.
A-1: Shinobi World goes ninja on 1648 Testament Era Japan, 17-3.
A-1: Tuskuru overwhelms Future Tokyo, 16-4.
A-1: France stomps over Little Garden, 16-4.
A-1: Holy Brittanian Empire conquers Claymore, 16-4.
A-1: Paradigm City filets World of tsuritama, 15-5.
A-1: Amberground outshines (outdarkens?) World of Arslan, 15-5.
A-1: Macross Universe unleashes its idols on Angel's Egg, 16-4.

A-1 was still in play until the final vote, with Slayers ever ahead but never able to decisively pull away. The rest were always blow-outs, resulting one of the least competitive rounds that we've had in quite some time.

Anyway, new pairings will be up sometime before I go to bed tonight. Preview Guide work has bogged me down more than I expected. (Six titles covered today, and there were two more that I could have done but just didn't have time to get to. And yes, six is an awful lot to do in one day, especially if you're also working.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 34