• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best World-Building Tournament: Concluded!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:57 am Reply with quote
Group B-1
World of Magi, Magi

I'll go with the one I know. An arabian setting is a much rarer breed in anime and I'm digging the politics of the world.

Group B-2
World of Chrono Crusade, Chrono Crusade

I didn't really see much of an impressive worldbuilding in Kanon. Thought the setting was rather ordinary.

Group B-3
Mahora Academy, Negima franchise

Going with the one i've seen although I don't have very high opinion about the worldbuilding in Negima. I thought it was quite haphazardly done.

Group B-4
World of Haruhi Suzumiya, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Seen only Haruhi.

Group B-5
Alfheim Online, Sword Art Online Fairy Dance arc

The worlds were the one thing that I liked in SAO.

Group B-6
Kingdom of Midland, Berserk

I have to admit that this vote is influenced by the manga. In the anime (and the Golden Age arc) the setting is a very ordinary medieval world. However the detail put into the world together with the Eclipse still takes my vote.

Group B-7
Victorian England, Victorian Romance Emma

See my reasons for the Rose of Versailles.

Group B-8
Setting of Blast of Tempest, Blast of Tempest

Haven't seen Ryvvius, but I also loved shakespearean flair and pretty logically structures plotline. And good orldbuilding I think had a lot to do with it.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:23 am Reply with quote
Group B-1
World of Magi, Magi
vs.
Eight City Union, Daphne in the Brilliant Blue

World of Magi

Group B-2
vs.
World of Kanon, Kanon

World of Chrono Crusade Kanon has no world-building, there are some magical elements, but they are just there. No one ever questions them or try to explain them. Without them it is just a generic high school setting.

Group B-3
vs.
World of Inuyasha, Inuyasha

World of Inuyasha

Group B-4
vs.
Universe of the Four Gods, Fushigi Yugi

World of Haruhi Suzumiya

Group B-5
Afterlife, Angel Beats!
vs.

Alfheim Online

Group B-6
Mulitverse of Fantastic Children, Fantastic Children
vs.

Mulitverse of Fantastic Children

Group B-7
vs.
Seisha-Do Universe, Girls und Panzer

Victorian England

Group B-8
vs.
Ryvius, Infinite Ryvius

Setting of Blast of Tempest
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:50 am Reply with quote
Group B-1
World of Magi, Magi
vs.

World of Magi

Group B-2
vs.
World of Kanon, Kanon

World of Chrono Crusade

Group B-3
vs.

World of Inuyasha There's not that much to Mahora Academy from what's presented in the anime series.

Group B-4
vs.

Universe of the Four Gods There's more a focus on actual world building in Fushigi Yugi then their is in Haruhi Suzumiya.

Group B-5
Afterlife, Angel Beats!
vs.

Afterlife

Group B-6
vs.

Kingdom of Midland

Group B-7
vs.

Victorian England

Group B-8
vs.
Ryvius, Infinite Ryvius

Blast of Tempest
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Group B-1
World of Magi, Magi

Group B-2

Group B-3

Group B-4

Group B-5
Afterlife, Angel Beats!

I have to give this one to Afterlife. I didn't think they presented ALO as well as Aincard.

Group B-6

Group B-7

Group B-8
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quote
B1: Eight city union

B2: World of Chrono Crusade:

B3: Inuyasha

B4: Universe of the four gods

B5: Alfheim Online:

Not so much a vote for ALO, which I also find weak but against Angel Beats, which really didn't care about its setting at all. Nothing made sense, and every explanation was only a first order thing.

B6: Multiverse of Fantastic children:

Haven't seen either, but Fantastic children's tale crossing space and time seems much more interesting and grand in scale than Berserk.

B7: Victorian England

B8: Ryvius
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade needs to bold his answer for B-5

Group B-1
World of Magi, Magi
vs.

haven't seen either, it looks like Magi is the right choice here

Group B-2
vs.
World of Kanon, Kanon

Chrono Crusade

Group B-3
vs.

Mahora Academy

Group B-4
vs.

Universe of the Four Gods

Group B-5
Afterlife, Angel Beats!
vs.

Alfheim Online

Group B-6
vs.

Midland

Group B-7
vs.

Seen both and England in Emma is very beautifully detailed. However, a world in which driving tanks is considered a very womanly sport and competitions between schools with strict rules and regulations making it not only fun, but very safe easily draws my vote. the detail in which one of the OVA's goes into the super carrier school ship and how its operated is very impressive as well. My vote goes to Girls und Panzer

Group B-8
vs.
Ryvius, Infinite Ryvius[/quote]

Blast of Tempest
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Sorry about the spreadsheet. I use OpenOffice, but I thought I saved it as an Excel file. Also, don't expect group B results to be up until Wednesday; I'm not going to have any time Tuesday to check the official results.

Group B-1
World of Magi, Magi vs.
Choosing: Eight City Union
Both sound pretty interesting, but the dungeon elements in Magi seem to much like an RPG mechanic. Breaks the immersion a little.

Group B-2
World of Chrono Crusade, Chrono Crusade vs.
World of Kanon, Kanon
Choosing: Chrono Crusade

Group B-3
Mahora Academy, Negima franchise vs.
Choosing: Inuyasha
More of a vote against Mahora Academy than for Inuyasha. While the fantastical elements and magic are adequately wondrous, they're not especially well tied together, somewhat thrown together when the situation calls for.

Group B-4
World of Haruhi Suzumiya, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya vs.
Choosing: Universe of the Four Gods
I think the write up is give MoHS a little more credit than it deserves regarding ambiguity. The god who doesn't know she's a god concept is certainly interesting, but the show is generally better establishing atmosphere of its mundane events.

Group B-5
Afterlife, Angel Beats! vs.
Choosing: Alfheim Online
Scanned through other people's votes for opinions on this one. The point that AB's Afterlife is pretty much a typical school plus a few weapons and magic/sci-fi abilities weighs against it. It's more the characters than the setting that make Angel Beats interesting.

Group B-6
Mulitverse of Fantastic Children, Fantastic Children vs.
Choosing: Midland

Group B-7
Victorian England, Victorian Romance Emma vs.
Choosing: Victorian England
While I enjoyed Girls und Panzer, the tank battles felt more like an unconventional sport more than a revolutionary world building element, and the aircraft carrier cities weren't utilized that much. A couple times I couldn't tell when they were or weren't on one.
Emma, on the other hand, demonstrates great care in recreating the details and feel of its historical era.

Group B-8
Setting of Blast of Tempest, Blast of Tempest vs.
Ryvius, Infinite Ryvius
Choosing: Ryvius
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:05 am Reply with quote
Round 1 Group B is now closed.

With an anemic 15 vote in, the results:

B-1: World of Magi eliminates Eight City Union, 10-5.
B-2: World of Chrono Crusade goes demonic on World of Kanon, 14-1.
B-3: World of Inuyasha slices up Mahora Academy, 10-5.
B-4: Universe of the Four Gods barely slips by World of Haruhi Suzumiya, 8-7.
B-5: ALfheim Online outdoes Afterlife, 9-6.
B-6: Kingdom of Midland defeats Multiverse of Fantastic Children, 9-6.
B-7: Victorian England outclasses Sensha-Do Universe, 10-5.
B-8: Setting of Blast of Tempest slams Ryvius, 11-4.

A few of these matches were closer than the final results indicate in what was generally a much more competitive group than the previous one. The Fushigi Yugi setting won on the final vote, while ALfheim Online took the final three and Kingdom of Midland took four of the final five to break ties. The B-3 and B-7 matches were also more competitive early on.

Next round is set up and should be up shortly. Will try to be a bit more timely next week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:10 am Reply with quote
Round 1 Group C is now closed.

Results can be found here.

Some of you are coming pretty weak on doing your one required justification. I'd like to see an improvement with that in this Group.

Group C-1
Abenobashi Shopping Arcade, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi
vs.
Future France, Gankutsuo: The Count of Monte Cristo

Group C-2
1960s Japan, Kids on the Slope
vs.
The Wired, Serial Experiments Lain

Group C-3
Soul Society, Bleach franchise
vs.
Assiah/Gehenna, Blue Exorcist

Group C-4
World of Pandora Hearts, Pandora Hearts
vs.
Ruined World, Casshern Sins

Group C-5
Helvetia, Sound of the Sky
vs.
Setting of BTM: Decode, Birdy the Mighty: Decode

Group C-6
Setting of From the New World, From the New World
vs.
Seikyou Academy, Dusk maiden of Amnesia

Group C-7
World of Ergo Proxy, Ergo Proxy
vs.
Future Earth, Now and Then, Here and There

Group C-8
Gargantia, Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
vs.
Prefecture F, Excel Saga

Last edited by Key on Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:59 am Reply with quote
Group C-1
vs.

Future France

Group C-2
vs.

The Wired

Group C-3
vs.

Assiah/Gehenna

Group C-4
vs.

This series may be incomplete, it is based on the on-going manga, but the anime managed to pretty nicly cover the world-building part. The rules governing the world are explained, there is a lot of foreshadowing and the power of Will of the Abyss is presented. However, unfortunately, in the anime it is never shown how this meticulous set-up impacts the plot later on, there is no denying that the world-building is mostly done and the story seems promising because of it. Even though it needs some more time, before it becomes truly awesome.

Pandora Heart’s is an example of a good world-building. Because there is foreshadowing and important information are given early on, the audience has a fair chance at guessing what will happen next, which is doubly important, as it is a mystery and the audience may be interested in making their own theories. It is also good to establish rules early on in the story and not change them. Imagine that you are playing a game and rules change during the game, that’s usually not fun, if you don’t know what you can or can’t do. The same applies to worlds like Pandora Hearts, because without stable rules and foreshadowing any plot twist will seem like an ass-pull.

Thanks to this strong sense of internal logic, in spite of the series being inspired by Alice in the Wonderland, it creates its own distinctive atmosphere and feels like its own story rather than another series heavily influenced by Lewis Carroll's book without an interesting concept of its own.

So my vote goes to World of Pandora Hearts

By 'rules' I mean that it is shown what is possible in this world. That, for example, Will of the Abyss can change humans into chains or give life to lifeless, so when it becomes important later on, it is not a total surprise and the plot twist is not an ass-pull.

Group C-5
vs.

Setting of BTM: Decode

Group C-6
vs.

Setting of From the New World

Group C-7
vs.

World of Ergo Proxy

Group C-8
vs.
Prefecture F, Excel Saga

Gargantia
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:27 am Reply with quote
Group C-1
vs.
Voting for Future France, Gankutsuo: The Count of Monte Cristo

Group C-2
vs.
Voting for The Wired, Serial Experiments Lain. This is more of a vote against KoS. Kids on the Slope is basically a story about the friendship between 2 boys. It could have taken place in any time period. What made it interesting was that it was set in the 1960s and what made it disappointing was that the time period and music was more for atmosphere and an accompaniment to the drama. I think the story and setting were hampered by its one season format and both could have benefited from an extra season.

Group C-3
vs.
Voting for Soul Society, Bleach franchise. I haven't seen Blue Exorcist (another half-human half demon?), but I have seen plenty of Bleach and I found it to be pretty decent through the Soul Society arc. An interesting use of the afterlife, detailed and well organized.

Group C-4
vs.
Voting for World of Pandora Hearts, Pandora Hearts. I've seen only a few episodes of both and they didn't really hold me. We have a lot of ruined worlds and wastelands in this group (Casshern, Song of the Sky, Ergo Proxy, NTHT) but Casshern Sins kind of bored me while Pandora Hearts had some interesting Alice in Wonderland allusions. I'll give the nod to Pandora Hearts.

Group C-5
vs.
Voting for Helvetia, Sound of the Sky. Seen both. I own Birdy the Mighty Decode and the OAVs from the 1990's. Birdy is the type of fun show that I can re-watch multiple times. I don't own Sound of the Sky and don't plan to re-watch it. However, I'll vote for it over Birdy. Some of Birdy's setting is a little generic and cliche even if done well. Interstellar police officer? Animal based humanoid aliens? Robots? Human experimentation? In contrast, Sound of the Sky's world has a tenuous ceasefire between two warring nations during a time that humanity is in decline. There is a huge desert called Nomands land that is slowly enveloping the last remnants of the habitable world. It is implied that this wasteland was initially created by weapons of mass destruction. There are fewer people in the world. Technology has regressed though there are relics of a highly technological past. Both men and women are soldiers in this world. All of this adds to the comments made by characters that "the world has already ended" and an atmosphere of ruin. The Roman empire has its own language as the soldier's speak in German while the Helvetian write their wishes at the church in French. There is some nice art work of old fortresses, European style buildings and countryside giving it an old world feel. A shared mythology involving fire maidens and an angel ties both nations together.

Flowers and ancient fortresses, Angel's Chasm, Spider Tank: advanced tech from an earlier time.

Group C-6
vs.
Voting for Setting of From the New World, From the New World.

Group C-7
vs.
Voting for World of Ergo Proxy, Ergo Proxy. Seen both and own both. If I had a choice of which one to watch again it would be NTHT. I think NTHT is excellent and EP is flawed, but as far as a detailed and thought out world I give the edge to EP. NTHT takes place in the future or perhaps its a future in a parallel world. It is never made clear. You have two groups fighting one another, Hellywood and Zari-bars. Is it because they are two different cultures with differing values? No, culture and discrimination have little to do with the conflict and the cultures are not strongly defined. In fact Hellywood preys on the surrounding villages for recruitment purposes, so in fact they are the same people which adds to the horror of the story. Do the leaders of the respective communities have competing ideologies? Not really, one is a paranoid madman and the others are consumed by hatred for the madman. Who is Lala-ru? An alien? A modified human that has lived thousands of years? Not revealed and most likely she is a spoiler[symbol or personification of mother earth that feels itself used and abused by man]. Why can Shu, the American girl Sara and everyone else understand each other? Does everybody speak Japanese in this world or English or is there some reason which is never explained? NTHT is a powerful exploration on the horrors of war and the sickness that is hatred. However, it has less to do with the world building and more to do with people, what lies inside them and the choices they make.

Ergo Proxy is a post-apocalyptic world where the earth is destroyed and contaminated with a reduced human population surviving in technologically advanced domes. At one point in Ergo Proxy Re-l Mayer says, "Romdo the last refuge of order…" and everything is ordered in Romdo. Human population is regulated. People are given android children to raise in place of living ones and the lucky are allowed to have real children. Humans are grown and genetically engineered for specific jobs when needed. Wall sized holograms are used for advertisements and book sized ones for files. What is required of a perfect citizen and for survival is to obey. This is a highly detailed world and the purpose that the domes and proxies (beings of great power) play is integral to the story. So I would say that the world building in Ergo Proxy is more detailed and plays a larger role in the story than Now and Then, Here and There.

Inside Romdo Dome

Group C-8
vs.
Prefecture F, Excel Saga
Voting for Gargantia, Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:49 am Reply with quote
Hurrah, Universe of the Four Gods made it! I didn't expect that but I am very happy to see it happen.

Group C-1

This setting is a great mix of style and substance, which definitely helps to take a classic story and tell it in a completely different way.

Group C-2

I do enjoy historical settings but I feel like the Wired just has more to offer as far as setting goes, given how heavily its presence lies over this series.

Group C-3

Group C-4

Group C-5

Group C-6

Group C-7

Group C-8
Prefecture F, Excel Saga
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:50 am Reply with quote
Group C-1

Group C-2

Group C-3

Group C-4

Group C-5
Most alien worlds in fiction, looked very lived in and sometimes abandoned. But Birdy the Mighty: Decode's alien world(Oriotera)
is depicted as a fully functional society much like ours.

Group C-6

Group C-7

Group C-8

Last edited by cyberdraco on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:15 am Reply with quote
cyberdraco, you have to justify at least one of your votes in order for them all to count.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I am already sensing that we could have a lot of blow-outs this round.

Anyway, I have time right now, so let's get to business.

Group C-1
vs.
While I don't consider Future France to be a top competitor, its blending of old-school style and hyper-advanced technology (the Count's carriage is pulled by robotic horses, for instance) makes for a fascinating-looking setting.

Group C-2
vs.
The Wird, on the strength of the surrealistic setting it creates. Of the historical settings in this tournament, KoS's is probably the weakest, as many of the elements in it aren't really that different from modern-day Japan.

Group C-3
vs.
I'm going withSoul Society even though I can see the merits of the BE setting based on what little I've watched of that series (i.e., the first six episodes). It is definitely a distinctive setting as afterlifes go and is progressively described in great detail over the course of the series.

Group C-4
vs.
Going with Ruined World here, as I do not think you will find a more starkly and effectively-portrayed example of a dystopian future anywhere in anime.

Group C-5
vs.

Deferring to One-Eye here since he has seen both, and I think Helvetia is a pretty solid option anyway.

Group C-6
vs.

Though it pains me to do this, I have to go against a setting I love and opt for FTNW's setting here. Seikyou Academy might be a solid pick against other competition, as it does probably one of the best jobs you'll see in anime of developing a setting limited to a single building and its grounds (rich history, intriguing supernatural dynamics). However, FTNW does nothing less than construct a novel new reality for humanity and do so in great and fascinating detail. I don't remember how far I picked it to go in the minigame, but it's one of my top picks for a potential dark horse in this tournament.

Group C-7
vs.

Also with One-Eye on this one. I may never watch Ergo Proxy again, but it had a great, unique, and well-developed setting. NTHT, OTOH, was much more about the people and events than the setting.

Group C-8
vs.
Prefecture F, Excel Saga

While I don't consider Gargantia to be a top-rate competitor, Prefecture F is a weaker one because its world-building really only exists as a vehicle for its gags.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 34