• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haibane Renmei and Lucile Hadzihalilovic's "Innocence&a

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angel_lover

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:54 am Reply with quote
I just finished watching the movie "Innocence" (aka "L'École"), and was struck by the very strong similarities to Haibane Renmei. Haibane Renmei was made two years before Innocence, so you might think that Lucile Hadzihalilovic had seen it and copied it (especially as she appears to be interested in Japan and Japanese cinema). However, Innocence is apparently based quite closely on the story "Mine-Haha" by the German playwright Frank Wedekind that was written in 1903. So, are the similarities purely coincidental, or did Yoshitoshe ABe base his script at least in part on Wedekind's story? Can anyone else shed any light on possible connections? Here's a list of some of the similarities:

spoiler[
* Both stories are set in a place surrounded by a wall
* In Innocence, girls arrive in coffins - in Haibane Renmei they arrive in cocoons.
* In both stories, the girls stay only for a certain time and then leave as mysteriously as they arrive
* In Innocence, all the girls wear colour-coded ribbons in their hair, in Haibane Renmei they wear halos.
* In Innocence, disobedience can be punished by never being allowed to leave and having to serve the other girls for the rest of your life. In Haibane Renmei, if you don't achieve your "day of flight" you have to stay and serve the Haibane as a member of the Haibane Renmei.
* In both stories, a girl tries to escape by climbing the creepers growing on the wall.]

[Fixed spoiler tags ~Zalis]
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:58 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure I remember an interview with ABe where he referenced the book "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:00 am Reply with quote
Em, looks like the spoiler tag is not supported by lists. Better use simpler line breaks instead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
angel_lover

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I'm pretty sure I remember an interview with ABe where he referenced the book "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World".

I was forgetting that. Maybe Murakami had read or heard about the Wedekind story then.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:02 pm Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:

I was forgetting that. Maybe Murakami had read or heard about the Wedekind story then.

That's not at all impossible, since it is an established fact that Murakami is familiar with Alban Berg, who used Wedekind for inspiration. And yes, ABe has been quite unequivocal about Murakami being an influence on Haibane Renmei.

(See also: this thread)

Having said that, I can see the parallels you're getting at... but I think they may be somewhat forced. Mine-Haha is (as I understand it; I have not read it) typical of the symbolist movement's use of heavy imagery of an archetypal nature. And that's the trouble with archetypes -- they crop up everywhere, and it's hard to infer actual influence from their occurrences.

- abunai

Addendum: Found the full text of Mine-Haha (in the original German) online.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
angel_lover

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:15 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Having said that, I can see the parallels you're getting at... but I think they may be somewhat forced.

The parallels rather jumped out at me when I watched the film, although your point about Symbolism is well made - as an admirer of Debussy's Pelléas et Mélisande I understand the shortcomings of the movement only too well. I found the German text of Mine-Haha too, shame I don't speak German.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1