• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bubblegum Crisis Blu-ray Kickstarter Meets Pledge Goal

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Great. Now can we go back to saving Anime Sols, please?
jet_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
There's something about the combination of mecha and Kickstarter that makes me shiver in delight.
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I have the poster they were giving out! I got it at Anime Central 2009! And it's still hanging, framed, on my wall to this day!
I won't have money until next week, but as long as some of the extras are still being offered, I'll throw 100 bucks at the project. I love Bubblegum Crisis, it's one of the first shows I saw that wasn't on American television, back when I had to pay 30 bucks for a VHS copy.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
It's amazing how they were able to reach their goal with 26 days to spare while meanwhile at AnimeSols Arrow http://animesols.com/
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quote
My fingers are still crossed for a new English dub, preferably one which uses Seraphim with as much of the original cast and staff of the Tokyo 2040 dub as possible.

Tragically it looks as though the most vocal people on the social media for this are raging sub-purists who believe that the English language should be as Admiral Halsey famously said that Japanese should be.

This ultimate edition of this should have the ultimate (quality-wise) dub and anyone with ears knows that the extant dub for 2033 ain't it.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually really hoping for AD Police FIles and Bubblegum Crash to be included so that it's more of a COMPLETE set in terms of sequels/prequels. I'm also in the camp of REALLY wanting a new English dub because while I haven't heard the original english dub, I'd love to have an audio track that matches the great looks of the new BD encode.

Hope this kickstarter project does even better!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:30 pm Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
It's amazing how they were able to reach their goal with 26 days to spare while meanwhile at AnimeSols Arrow http://animesols.com/

There's many factors playing into this.

1. It's on Kickstarter, a site that's well known and can give your project visibility by simply being on it.
2. It's Bubblegum Crisis, a well known OVA series that's had 20+ years to accrue a goodsized fanbase compared to virtually unknown and some never-before subbed series on AnimeSols.

Echo_City wrote:
My fingers are still crossed for a new English dub, preferably one which uses Seraphim with as much of the original cast and staff of the Tokyo 2040 dub as possible.

This ultimate edition of this should have the ultimate (quality-wise) dub and anyone with ears knows that the extant dub for 2033 ain't it.

A new dub would be fine so long as it's not financed by what's already been contributed. Maybe make another stretch goal for a new dub, which would probably cost as much as this Kickstarter alone did if not more.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:32 pm Reply with quote
walw: A lot of those show have been fansubbed on Youtube for a while now with tens of thousands of views.

Last edited by GATSU on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Wow, there are only 2 posters left. Shocked All the goodies are getting gobbled up real fast! Surprised
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

There's many factors playing into this.

1. It's on Kickstarter, a site that's well known and can give your project visibility by simply being on it.
2. It's Bubblegum Crisis, a well known OVA series that's had 20+ years to accrue a goodsized fanbase compared to virtually unknown and some never-before subbed series on AnimeSols.

Another factor: Kickstarter is open to international, non-U.S. backers.

The only geographical restriction on this Kickstarter project is that shipping to Japan or China is prohibited.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
I know I for one would rather the BD didn't have any English dub at all. Anime is no place for English audio.

Ha, says you. There wouldn't be much of a North American anime market in the first place if not for English dubbed anime Rolling Eyes

Plus, options are always a good thing. They would've been stupid to not include their readily available English dub in addition to subs. More viewing options = more people interested in owning the set which = more money for Animeigo. Including both is a win-win situation.
vermilionone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it's made sufficiently clear, but as I understand it any money greater than the initial goal will be spent towards extras that the community of donors chooses. So if there's enough extra money for the dub, and enough of the community want it, then they'll do a dub. Alternately the money could be spent on expanding the set to other series, or on nicer packaging, or special pack-ins etc... There aren't any stretch goals because they're being more flexible about what's produced.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:46 pm Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:

The series helps but I really think being on Kickstarter vs a site thats like kickstarter but isn't turns a decent amount of people off. Plus, the super long donation window removes urgency and can lead to people forgetting about the series existing.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
vermilionone wrote:
I don't think it's made sufficiently clear, but as I understand it any money greater than the initial goal will be spent towards extras that the community of donors chooses. So if there's enough extra money for the dub, and enough of the community want it, then they'll do a dub. Alternately the money could be spent on expanding the set to other series, or on nicer packaging, or special pack-ins etc... There aren't any stretch goals because they're being more flexible about what's produced.

And on that list of priorities of what to spend extra cash on, a new dub comes close to last.
vermilionone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:05 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
vermilionone wrote:

And on that list of priorities of what to spend extra cash on, a new dub comes close to last.

I think the conversation has been fairly amicable, but that's the sense I'm getting. A dub is expensive and there isn't enough money for stuff people seem to absolutely want, like CDs, the audio dramas, and ADP.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5