• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Ace of Bakes

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Yuru Yuri isn't a 4-panel comic.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Last Dark offers a few fun shout-outs to CLAMP fans, too. There are Makona images scattered throughout the film, and Saya even makes a trip to a certain wish-granting shop in Tokyo. Again, these are not necessary for the enjoyment of the film, but certainly do help answer questions like, "Why is there an invisible shop that grants wishes? Did that dog just talk?"
I'm concerned about this as it seems like some heavy-handed homage. As I am not a CLAMP-fanboy (which is a contradiction in terms) I have no idea what this invisible store that grants wishes is. Even if I did, it sounds like something that would have me o.0 as it sounds pretty ridiculous.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
watch xxxHolic
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I willl admit I bought Shining Bread, but only for Tony Taka's art.

Its terrible. I thought okay drop the bread and get on with the main arc with the alternative worlds and lost memories etc, but they insisted on continously pushing that to the back. I mean the main plot was an after thought.

Then like OP said, it seemed to try to do harem, but never really went anywhere with it.

I mean what the hell were they thinking, its part of the shining series, a high fantasy series about magic and elves, so of course they decided to make a game/show about bread.

Its a real shame the Shining series has some great games like Tears, Force, etc.; but the two anime they made this and the abysmal Shining wind x tears are garbage to put it mildly.

I seriously hope Taka gets very well paid to have his art style applied to something this bad.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
The Last Dark reminded me of those really bad Syfy channel original horror movies.

Echo_City wrote:
Quote:
The Last Dark offers a few fun shout-outs to CLAMP fans, too. There are Makona images scattered throughout the film, and Saya even makes a trip to a certain wish-granting shop in Tokyo. Again, these are not necessary for the enjoyment of the film, but certainly do help answer questions like, "Why is there an invisible shop that grants wishes? Did that dog just talk?"
I'm concerned about this as it seems like some heavy-handed homage. As I am not a CLAMP-fanboy (which is a contradiction in terms) I have no idea what this invisible store that grants wishes is. Even if I did, it sounds like something that would have me o.0 as it sounds pretty ridiculous.

Surprisingly, that was one of the least ridiculous parts. Laughing
sainta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Wait so the Blood-C movie is good? I guess there was something good about watching that "comedy" prequel. Also, it would be nice seeing Watanuki again.
navycherub

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, the fantasy scenes in Yuru Yuri can be plenty sexual.

And thank you for reminding me about everything that happens in Shining Hearts. It has been so long, and I'd almost forgotten how much I wanted to like that show for its calm atmosphere, but couldn't for obvious reasons.
Judge Of Toyama

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:53 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Also, it would be nice seeing Watanuki again.

I just happened to watch the movie today and noticed Watanuki in it and it made me sad that Funi has not licensed the rest of XXXHolic. Sad
nechronius

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:11 am Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Wait so the Blood-C movie is good? I guess there was something good about watching that "comedy" prequel. Also, it would be nice seeing Watanuki again.

I don't think it was shelf worthy, but might be worth a rental viewing. Maybe my opinion of the movie itself is somewhat biased after subjecting myself to the TV series, but I didn't think it was significantly better, although it was at least better focused.

If you don't watch the TV series, you do miss out on some significant plot points, but to subject yourself to the TV series is somewhat painful in any case. But if you resignedly go into the movie cold, then your enjoyment of it is somewhat stunted by some of that lack of background knowledge. It's kind of a self perpetuating problem.

If you like your anime slow, slow, slow, then suddenly very, very gory and awfully sadistic with several fairly predictable plot twists, then by all means watch the TV series. Even the censored TV broadcast version was pretty imaginative with the way it cruelly takes out its intended targets before everything comes to a head towards the end, and then roll right into the movie which happens what seems to be several months later.

I will say though, that the TV show featured some very interesting fights against the "vampires" which did help carry the series some. The fights were pretty dynamic, exciting affairs. For some reason I especially appreciated Saya's fight with a giant six armed sword bearing creature more than any other. I don't remember the movie having fights that were as cool, but I don't feel compelled to rewatch it to see if I remembered any memorable scenes.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:16 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

Damn, I suck. It feels like it is. ;__; I should've double checked, instead of just trusting my shoddy memory.
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:29 am Reply with quote
Great reviews! I loved your review on Shining Hearts. I had no idea they shoved all that bread stuff in your face, yikes! That is such a shame.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:51 am Reply with quote
Bamboo wrote:
I say “damnably,” though, because unfortunately, The Last Dark requires one to have first seen Blood-C, which is a heaping pile of crap.
Oh yea, it certainly is. The Last Dark felt 100 times better than the show, but I don't think I would call it shelf worthy either. Overall it looked better than the tv show. However, the use of CG wasn't the best and felt unnecessary at times. What I recall the story was ok to me until maybe the last 30 minutes where a few things just felt contrived. I'm also not a fan of the Clamp universe poking its nose into the Blood franchise as it feels a bit self indulgent on the part of the creators. Still the movie was ok and it had a satisfying length at about an hour and forty-five minutes. I think its more of a rental, because unless you've seen the show it might not be quite as satisfying and on that basis I would only recommend it to people who enjoyed or at least tolerated the show.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:06 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
watch xxxHolic

Even with the latest OVA, that's not enough spoiler[since the typical proprietor is no longer there.] You've got to read xxxHolic.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:27 am Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Damn, I suck. It feels like it is. ;__; I should've double checked, instead of just trusting my shoddy memory.
Forgiven, as that cover presentation is suspiciously similar to Azumanga Daioh.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:30 am Reply with quote
sainta wrote:

It was better than the god-awful T.V. series, but that's not saying much. I would have rated the movie as perishable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5