• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:50 am Reply with quote
Well, after having to deal with an internet connection that went wrong, I can finally come on here and get things moving for next week. I hope you all had fun talking about Akito, but from what I read from everybody's discussions, we got nowhere near to discussing everything there was to talk about her the entire series. So hopefully as the series progresses over here, we will get more discussion about here in the future.

Anyways, onto Shigure week. As I stated in the hint, he refers to himself as the most cursed of the Zodiac, though at the beginning we didn't know why, as the series progressed we got the idea to what his motives were and why he would say the things that he would say.

Characters related to Shigure:
- Akito
- Hatori
- Ayame
- Kureno
- Mayuko
- Tohru
- Yuki
- Kyo
- Kagura
- Kisa
- Hiro
- Ritsu
- Hatsuharu
- Rin
- Momiji
- Kazuma
- Uochan
- Hanachan

Plenty of things to cover about the "slug" as I and aya_honda have referred to him before due to his lazy nature towards the beginning Laughing I hope all to enjoy this sly, dim witted yet mysterious character of Fruits Basket.

Edit: Tagged

Last edited by fighterholic on Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:25 am Reply with quote
I just got home from work a little while ago and needless to say I'm not at all sleepy. Rolling Eyes

Shigure is probably the most convoluted member of the Zodiac. When we first meet him spoiler[he is delighted to learn that Tohru is familar with the Zodiac animals and is tickled to know that Tohru wanted to be the Year of the Cat. (Now that I think about it, a little bit of foreshadowing as to who she really likes?) He also found it to be quite funny to find Tohru camping in his "back yard." ]

I'm sure that we all will agree that Shigure is a spoiler[perv...small one but still a perv. Not to mention a tormentor of editors. But, as the series goes on, we learn that there is something deeper to Shigure and he's playing a bigger game than anybody knows. And even though he's super-close to Ayame, even Ayame doesn't know what he's plotting. He has told Hatori, who doesn't like Shigure's plan but won't stop it.]

To the point of where I'm at we know that Shigure is spoiler[up to something but we aren't quite sure what...and since I've read so many spoilers in this thread, I'm not sure if I'm remembering what I've read or what I've spoiler... Rolling Eyes ]

But, I think as the next volumes come out, we shall truly see Shigure's spoiler[plots and manipulations and reasons for what he does. And at this point, perhaps his reason is: LOVE.]
Ningensei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:09 am Reply with quote
Shigure was always an interesting character for me. In the anime, which I watched first, I really liked him a lot and he was spoiler[portrayed as a comic relief character. We mostly only say his lighthearted moments which also dominate the first couple volumes of manga, but his manipulative side also comes out early as well, in the manga at least.] I really liked him a lot at first, but then I kind of dislike him as well. I guess you could call it a love/hate relationship. Shigure is also a very spoiler[observant and perceptive character, who always seems to know what's going on (probably because he's the one orchestrating it) and is very aware of other characters latent feelings and emotions. (Like Kyo and Mayu). ]

LydiaDianne: After rereading the early volumes recently, I also enjoyed the part in the very first volume spoiler[on his reactions to Tohru saying how much she loved the cat. Something like "If only he could hear her say this" when Kyo hadn't even been introduced yet. It seems like he also becomes aware of Kyo's feelings early on, which are very obvious anyway, and likes to exploit them any time he can with all his little perverted jokes. He really gets a kick from getting a rise out of people, especially Mayu, Kyo, and his poor editor!]

Yes, I think we are starting to see more of spoiler[his manipulative side, and he has not been shy in conversations with Hatori and others(?) on how he is using Tohru for his own gains when it comes to the family and Zodiac curse. How it wasn't wholly out of kindness that she is allowed to stay and that there are underlying reasons as well.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Shigure's humor is definetly such to keep me reading the manga in short. When it comes to his not so serious moments, such as teasing Kyo, getting pounded by Yuki, even getting ignored by Hatori when he makes a really empty joke, he's able to provide that feedback to just keep you in tune with his character.
All in all, I have to admit I think Shigure is my favorite character from this series. Because at first he's this comic relief character, but as the series goes on you discover his true intentions, and see how he's not all so funny on the inside, that he truly has a dark secret.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Shigure has been one of my favourite characters since I read the chapter when he talked with Hatori and showed his sinister side Cool. After watching anime when his character was ruined at the end, it was pretty nice to see that he could be more interesting in manga than in anime.

one thing about him was strange to me why he referred to himself as the most cursed of the Zodiac, when in further volume spoiler[he said that being one of the possessed didn't hurt him that much and parent's love was not something he wanted. Although he seems to had normal parents that didn't rejected him. ]

LydiaDianne wrote:
But, I think as the next volumes come out, we shall truly see Shigure's spoiler[plots and manipulations and reasons for what he does. And at this point, perhaps his reason is: LOVE.]

I think his reason was spoiler[Love, lonley, and do something in order to stop Akito to see him as a father.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:

one thing about him was strange to me why he referred to himself as the most cursed of the Zodiac, when in further volume spoiler[he said that being one of the possessed didn't hurt him that much and parent's love was not something he wanted. Although he seems to had normal parents that didn't rejected him. ]

LydiaDianne wrote:

I think his reason was spoiler[Love, lonley, and do something in order to stop Akito to see him as a father.]

I think that you answered your own question (and I certainly don't mind if I'm corrected concerning this). If I'm putting two and two together correctly, Shigure considers himself to be the "most cursed of the Zodiac" spoiler[precisely because of the way he feels about Akito and her feelings towards him. He has had a good childhood and life but he doesn't have what he wants the most - all of Akito's love/attention.]

Even though we are now learning how manipulative Shigure is, the other members of the Zodiac do like him, even though they get very angry with him or think he's a perv (Yuki and Kyo) but he's also a friend and someone safe and protective(Rin (?), Kisa, Momiji and Haru). And he does shield the younger ones, why else would he have allowed spoiler[Haru to talk him into taking in Yuki?]

And he didn't have to let Tohru stay with them, although that was probably self-interest in the beginning - she was willing to clean that pigsty of a house and cook real food. But I'm sure as time went on and Tohru learned of the Secret, he began putting his plot together.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

I think that you answered your own question (and I certainly don't mind if I'm corrected concerning this). If I'm putting two and two together correctly, Shigure considers himself to be the "most cursed of the Zodiac" spoiler[precisely because of the way he feels about Akito and her feelings towards him. He has had a good childhood and life but he doesn't have what he wants the most - all of Akito's love/attention.]

well maybe but i sitll don't understand why the most cursed. The rest of the Zodiac also didn't have what they wanted.

LydiaDianne wrote:

Even though we are now learning how manipulative Shigure is, the other members of the Zodiac do like him, even though they get very angry with him or think he's a perv (Yuki and Kyo) but he's also a friend and someone safe and protective(Rin (?), Kisa, Momiji and Haru). And he does shield the younger ones, why else would he have allowed spoiler[Haru to talk him into taking in Yuki?]

To piss off Akito Rolling Eyes by taking her "toy", or maybe he already thought how to break the cruse. This happened during time when he was pissed off that she slept with Kureno, so i think it is possible.

I forgot about one more thing how he spoiler[discovered that Akito slept with Kureno?I heard that in Japan came into somebody room without permission is very rude even if it is your family, or maybe I am wrong? If it is true in this case theory that Shigure came to Akito room in bad time dosen't sound good Confused ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Probably spoiler[in some way he just "knew" that they had been sleeping together. And they were being seen together alot, which was probably another giveaway. Shigure in a sense does command a respect from everybody else, each in their own unique way. He is resourceful, helpful, and knows the pains that each person goes through. Funny how he doesn't get along with his parents, though we don't really stop to think why until we see that he doesn't have what he wants. I'm sure he appreciates his parents raising him up to that point, but nothing else after that.]
Ningensei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:54 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[None of the Kureno/Akito/Shigure relationship has been covered very much in the English release, ]so I can't really contribute anything to the topic. Crying or Very sad

Well, the discussion about spoiler[Akito's age earlier seems to make sense if you think of Shigure as the major pervert that he his. He seems to really like younger women. Wink I know his reasons for having feelings toward Akito is different,] but I couldn't resist.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
spoiler[None of the Kureno/Akito/Shigure relationship has been covered very much in the English release, ]so I can't really contribute anything to the topic. Crying or Very sad

Well, the discussion about spoiler[Akito's age earlier seems to make sense if you think of Shigure as the major pervert that he his. He seems to really like younger women. Wink I know his reasons for having feelings toward Akito is different,] but I couldn't resist.

A lot of times in the manga there seems to be major age differences between certain couples in this series. The ones most notable are spoiler[Shigure-Akito (28-20), Katsuya-Kyoko (23-15), Kureno-Arisa (27-18) and Kazuma-Saki (4?-18)] If at times we've seen it the other way around it's only by a couple of years. Shigure must have felt he was destined for it, but was disappointed in how things were turning out and decided he would stop at nothing to get what he wanted.
murph76

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Shigure is a character I can love and loathe in the space of a single chapter. But he's also one of the few characters that can keep me wondering what he's going to say or do next.

Does he spoiler[have an ulterior motive in every decision he makes? When he takes in Yuki, he's offering an escape and new opportunities to someone who has basically been locked in room most of his life. But, he's also taking away Akito's favorite, her toy, as Aylinn said. In Tohru's case, Shigure is offering shelter to a homeless girl, but he's also getting a maid and cook in the bargain. Not to mention he's using Tohru in some way to try and break the zodiac curse. (Curse the slow release of the English volumes!!) It's not always a negative goal though. When Shigure suggested a trip to the summer house, his real goal was to get Hatori away during Kana's wedding. ]

Like LydiaDianne said, he seems like a caring person, and seems genuinely concerned about the well-being of Ayame and Hatori, as well as the younger Jyuunishi and Tohru.

I think my all-time favorite Shigure moment is when spoiler[he poked Ritsu in the side to calm him down and shouts "Justice prevails" (or something). Kyo and Yuki's reaction of "You fight for justice?" and "You seem more like a villian to me" are priceless. The whole scene had me laughing out loud.]

-Murph
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I laugh when Shigure spoiler[is about to be get himself into big trouble with Kyo and Yuki, and then on top of that, people like to break things in his house a lot] Laughing But he's a cool guy, I think he looks better when he's wearing a suit rather than the Japanese yukata you almost always see him in.
Ningensei

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:15 am Reply with quote
I also love it when Shigure wears his (er..Hatori's) suit! spoiler[When he came to Tohru's Parent/Teacher Conference and all of the girls were squealing over him; I'm sure he loved it a little too much Laughing And also he was looking forward to surprising(!) Mayu-sensei. (Tohru: "Ice crystals?") Haha, that part had me laughing out loud! Not to mention afterwards when we find out it is Hatori's suit and he tells Shigure to burn it, and Shigure is excited because he gets a $3,000 suit for free! Very Happy ]
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:46 am Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
I also love it when Shigure wears his (er..Hatori's) suit! spoiler[When he came to Tohru's Parent/Teacher Conference and all of the girls were squealing over him; I'm sure he loved it a little too much Laughing And also he was looking forward to surprising(!) Mayu-sensei. (Tohru: "Ice crystals?") Haha, that part had me laughing out loud! Not to mention afterwards when we find out it is Hatori's suit and he tells Shigure to burn it, and Shigure is excited because he gets a $3,000 suit for free! Very Happy ]

that's my favourite moment too, spoiler[especially Mayu facial expression when she saw him in Hatori's suit.]

About Shigure pervert side. I found nice image with Akito as high school girl
Ningensei

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Where is that picture from? Is it in a later volume of the manga? Or is it just fan art or something? It's pretty hilarious though, to see Akito embarrassed and blushing! Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 69 of 170