• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2013

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Its about time we got a Terra Formars anime, with sales like that.
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, of COURSE One Piece would lead. It's, like, the only manga in all of Japan whose audience consists at least to a substantial extent of people who generally aren't into manga. Though I'm quite impressed to see Attack on Titan at such a close second. I knew the series was big, but it's giving One Piece some competition.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
...Something other than One Piece sold more than half of what One Piece did? Shocked
kayori1928

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Attack on Titan was such a close second. I don't think I've seen such a close 2nd to One Piece in...ever. I am glad because even though One Piece is decent I always found it way overrated. It really only gets #1 every year because it is the highest selling and most popular manga in Japan, which AOT is the most poplar world-wide. As for Naruto falling out of the top three....well if you read the manga its pretty obvious why.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see KuroBas so high, it's great to know all that stupid drama hasn't affected, on the contrary, it's probably pushed people to buy more of it.

Also, the fact that Toriko (6 volumes) barely passed Bleach (4 volumes) by 100K when the latter is very much past its prime should be depressing considering the huge amount of marketing Toriko has been receiving for a while. And on that note, it's great to see Bleach selling so well all things considered, Everything but the Rain was a particularly fantastic mini-arc
straw$hat$fighter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:24 pm Reply with quote
For the people who said that One Piece can't be beaten check out the numbers.

One Piece 4 volumes + 68 old volumes made 18.1 mil and Attack on Titan 3 volumes + 8 old volumes made 15.9 mil (Difference 2.2 mil) If this result would come in October or November and it was 3 volumes vs 3 volumes Attack on Titan would be on top as One Piece v72 made 2.5 mil. I love One Piece and know its much more popular (look top selling by volumes result) but this year Attack on Titan kicked everyones ass.

(Please reply only after reading all my comments)

Last edited by straw$hat$fighter on Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
pykrete

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:32 pm Reply with quote
-
=

One Piece 72 - 2,354,005 copies sold

So very close. If there had only been four 2013 One Piece volumes to three 2013 Shingeki volumes, Shingeki would had taken first place by 136,207 copies.

Btw, the overall series count includes special editions. Shingeki only sold 15,475,569 regular editions. 458,232 are special editions.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote
straw$hat$fighter wrote:

One Piece 4 volumes + 68 old volumes made 18.1 mil and Attack on Titan 3 volumes + 8 old volumes made 15.9 mil (Difference 2.2 mil) If this result would come in October or November and it was 3 volumes vs 3 volumes Attack on Titan would be on top as One Piece v72 made 2.5 mil. I love One Piece and know its much more popular (look by volumes result) but this year Attack on Titan kicked everyones ass.

Do you work for the gon't? What's with the selective stats?
The old vols of OP doesn't sale that much this year.

Everybody knows AoT helps by the anime. It will have a down year next year once everybody buys a copy.

IF you don't like the total sales number, Just looks a sale by vol.

One Piece Vol. 69 and 70 all sold over 3m.
I think ANN reported that vol 69 has a record print run of 4 millions copy.

I think 71 and 72 all atleast over over 2 millions by now. 72 hasn't out for a long time out, so it doesn't maximize all the sales.

Give me the number of AoT vols sales this year.
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:46 pm Reply with quote
straw$hat$fighter wrote:

One Piece 4 volumes + 68 old volumes made 18.1 mil and Attack on Titan 3 volumes + 8 old volumes made 15.9 mil (Difference 2.2 mil) If this result would come in October or November and it was 3 volumes vs 3 volumes Attack on Titan would be on top as One Piece v72 made 2.5 mil. I love One Piece and know its much more popular (look by volumes result) but this year Attack on Titan kicked everyones ass.
Not really. One piece has more old volumes, but they've been out far longer and hit saturation point long ago. AoT is relatively new and had a substantial boost because its anime came out this year to raise awareness. And One Piece's new volumes were the top on a by volume basis. The lowest new one piece volume sold about 400,000 more than the highest AoT volume (04 - One Piece 72 (2,354,005 copies)
05 - Shingeki no Kyojin 09 (1,950,807 copies)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Attack of Titan's numbers this year are outstanding, but it's just a one-time thing due to the anime. It will maintain very impressive numbers of course, but they will be considerably lower over the next years.

I'm glad to see Hunter x Hunter still selling a ton even with all the hiatuses.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Ao Haru Ride on the list. I picked it up as a random buy at Kinokuniya and have really enjoyed it so far.
straw$hat$fighter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
straw$hat$fighter wrote:

Everybody knows AoT helps by the anime. It will have a down year next year once everybody buys a copy.

I think 71 and 72 all atleast over over 2 millions by now. 72 hasn't out for a long time out, so it doesn't maximize all the sales.

Learn to read!! You missed this.

I love One Piece and know its much more popular (look by volumes result) but this year Attack on Titan kicked everyones ass.

I know that AoT cannot win One Piece in a regular 3 vs 3 volumes and its performance is a one time thing. I said AoT performance the best This Year

Last edited by straw$hat$fighter on Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
m_traydor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:53 pm Reply with quote
kayori1928 wrote:
Attack on Titan was such a close second. I don't think I've seen such a close 2nd to One Piece in...ever. I am glad because even though One Piece is decent I always found it way overrated. It really only gets #1 every year because it is the highest selling and most popular manga in Japan, which AOT is the most poplar world-wide. As for Naruto falling out of the top three....well if you read the manga its pretty obvious why.

Sure One Piece gets most of it's popularity in Japan but no matter how you look at it there is no such thing as Japan and worldwide. Japan is part of the world too.

On another note, Kudos to Assassination Classroom for getting in the top 10.
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, th emost impressive thing here IMO is Assassination Classroom. Not entirely unexpected if you've been following it's success, but still, it's a very new series (hell, I don't think it had a single volume that was released before the measured period), not a battle manga, and still hasn't had an anime adaptation. And it's not like it comes from a famous mangaka either: Neuro was more of a cult hit than anything, which isn't really comparable to something like Silver Spoon being by Arakawa
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
straw$hat$fighter wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
straw$hat$fighter wrote:

Learn to read!! You missed this.

I love One Piece and know its much more popular (look by volumes result) but this year Attack on Titan kicked everyones ass.

I know that AoT cannot win One Piece in a regular 3 vs 3 volumes. I am not that stupid. I said AoT pro formed the best This Year

AoT can't win in 3 vs 3 sales and can't win in total sales. It can only win in old vols sales because of the anime. I don't know what's kick ass mean. I don;'t know how you get Aot performed better when i got beat in total sales and sales per vol.

OP has an unfair advantage because it's on a popular magazine and it's weekly. When you can draw more that means you can sell more.

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6