• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Tick Tick BTOOOM!

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote
*snicker* "Richly decorated backgrounds" - if anything, that's Gerard & Jacques (rather minor) failing. Yoshinaga's never seemed to care for drawing them frequently or in any great detail in any of her works. Mind you, sometimes she uses all that blank space to great effect, to heighten the mood in a panel. Here, though, it would have helped the setting some to have a bit more Rococo flair.

It's still a really good yaoi series, which is something rare unto itself.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:37 pm Reply with quote
The "Evidence Against" section for the Soulless manga is the main reason I don't buy it. It's pretty much a rushed Sparknotes version of the books.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I really didn't get on with Gerard & Jacques but it has been years since I last picked up the first volume, maybe I should revisit and see if my opinion changes.

I'm still waiting form my copy of Btooom 4 but if its anything like the previous 3 I think I'm still going to be waiting for it to kick in. I think this is mainly down to the story telling; right now I feel nothing for the characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Descent123

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
What? When did Junya Inoue started to do manga head on?

He's pretty famous for his artwork from various arcade games (developers Toaplan and Cave comes to mind).

Man, the girl on the front cover is very very similar to one of the main characters from arcade title Deathsmiles.

Learned something new everyday.
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:16 am Reply with quote
ahhhhh Soulless <3 Yeah, the manga actually cut off early, there's two more books that won't get manga. Sad... unlike my other favorite book series, Cirque du Freak, the manga for Soulless ended up being more like a visual companion to the novels than an adaptation.
phia_one wrote:
The "Evidence Against" section for the Soulless manga is the main reason I don't buy it. It's pretty much a rushed Sparknotes version of the books.

... but it's so pretty. That's why Anime smile;
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:12 am Reply with quote
Oh, Fumi Yoshinaga, how I love you! Gerare & Jacques is easily my favorite of her yaoi titles. I don't much care for yaoi, but Yoshinaga will always be the exception as everything she does is amazing. I adored the ending to G&J, she's always subverting things in the most unexpected ways somehow and she is epic and amazing for doing so. There's really no work of hers that I won't recommend, just buy it all! Start with the OOP stuff though, like this one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1