• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai: Capsule Toys Are a 31-Billion-Yen Business

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Bandai calculated that the capsule vending machine business grew from approximately 20 billion yen (US$168 million) in 2000 to 33 billion yen (US$277 million) in 2005. The total dropped slightly to 30.5 billion yen (US$256 million) in 2006

Dear god, I had no idea that Capsule made so much damn money. I can't imagine that the US market make even a tenth of what the Japanese market is like. Still 256 millions is not a bad year work, damn maybe this Attorney business isn't as profitable as I thought it could be..... Wink
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:39 am Reply with quote
Also doesn't hurt that not just every show but every thing you can think of has been complimented by a gashapon set. You can find gashapon sets for the latest anime, live action shows, idol singers, samurai swords, battle ships (both the sea and space variety), food, animals, and even viruses just to name a few. With such an unusual variety expanding to such varied tastes it's no surprise that there's an industry boom. And if this is truly just the gashapon industry then I can only imagine what the blind box industry is doing.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CommunistHamster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:59 am Reply with quote
My business runs coin operated machines, and it's great because there's so little labour. Just restock the machines every other day and empty the coin box. Capsule vending machines are also the cheapest, since they have very few moving parts and no electronics (well, most of them).
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:37 am Reply with quote
Lord knows some of my money is tallied in there. Sure, I don't buy them directly from the machines, but I've picked up a few capsules at cons. That's in addition to the boxed ones.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I wish we had more toys in the vending machines in the states. I used to collect Homies, I should have well over a hundred by now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:19 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
I wish we had more toys in the vending machines in the states. I used to collect Homies, I should have well over a hundred by now.

Wow that just brought back some very old memories dealing with the homies capsules. I remember there were these really stupid Ninja Capsule I used to buy that came in different colors....I must of drop at least 25 dollars on that junk. But what's I probably spent more on were getting those tattoo from the 50 cent machine, or getting the cool Stussy sticker...
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Nice thing is you get cool looking plastic for cheap as well. I've seen the contents of capsule items over here for unbelievable amounts though.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
slickwataris wrote:

Wow that just brought back some very old memories dealing with the homies capsules. I remember there were these really stupid Ninja Capsule I used to buy that came in different colors....I must of drop at least 25 dollars on that junk. But what's I probably spent more on were getting those tattoo from the 50 cent machine, or getting the cool Stussy sticker...

They still have the ninjas! I was at the theater a few months ago and someone left theirs on the counter so I took it Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:23 am Reply with quote
IMO, if the American vending machines had as good of stuff in them as the Japanese ones seem to have the entire capsule market here would take off again! Cool

As it is I see plenty of kids buying stuff out the current ones for 50¢/75¢/and $1+ and all they are getting is cheap toys imported from India and South East Asia that have tended to have to be recalled every few years for having too much lead in them Confused . IMO, this market in the U.S. is really missing the boat.
CommunistHamster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:02 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
IMO, if the American vending machines had as good of stuff in them as the Japanese ones seem to have the entire capsule market here would take off again! Cool

As it is I see plenty of kids buying stuff out the current ones for 50¢/75¢/and $1+ and all they are getting is cheap toys imported from India and South East Asia that have tended to have to be recalled every few years for having too much lead in them Confused . IMO, this market in the U.S. is really missing the boat.

[Sorry about the bump, but] sounds like a good business opportunity for someone in their spare time!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1