• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: CNN Discovers Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, Calls Her Japan's Lady Gaga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone in Japan actually buy Kyary Pamyu Pamyu albums? This seems rather insulting to Lady Gaga.

She seems like a novelty act that has found a home in the weird corners of the internet, not an actual musician. Something like that guy who trained his bird to sing Zelda music.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Did they mention that Lady Gaga was inspired heavily by Japanese fashion? Also, Ai Otsuka was weird before it was cool. Plus, she can actually sing and play instruments. Sorry, I dont think Kyary is talented at all
zeopower6

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Ai Otsuka isn't really that weird. She's lewd (beef tongue = innuendo! BUTTS.) but not weird.

Kyary doesn't even make her music. >_> Nakata is the magician behind her digital hits.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:10 pm Reply with quote
It's kinda cool to see Kyary getting attention from CNN, I wish more J-pop artists could get more media coverage in the US, this is becoming more frequent for K-pop, I want J-pop to do this too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OrangeVision

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
Does anyone in Japan actually buy Kyary Pamyu Pamyu albums? This seems rather insulting to Lady Gaga.

She seems like a novelty act that has found a home in the weird corners of the internet, not an actual musician. Something like that guy who trained his bird to sing Zelda music.
Not sure if you're baiting, but if I recall correctly nandacollection reached #1 on JP charts and other albums didn't fall very short of that.

And the guy who produces Kyaru's music is higly regarded musician with various ongoing successful projects under his wing.

You may dislike her and/or her music, but "baby panda sneezing" she is not.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Leave it to CNN to tell us something we already know about.
ZanraiKid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
While I can applaud CNN for getting the basic ideas behind Kyary right and portraying the persona accurately, I feel she would have never been recognized if it weren't for the Cool Japan initiative. Since she has been around since 2011 and is only just getting mass media attention, you'd think they recognize her career prior. Also, to say she is Japan's hottest export would be guffaw worthy. Kyary's no where close to being the only hot Japanese act, and even South Korea doesn't acknowledge that PSY is the only thing they have in their favor. Then there is the fact that anime still exists...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote
BREAKING NEWS JAPAN EXHIBITS KAWAII POP BAND,
Tokyo:
Allegedly cute, or "kawaii" as they call it is gabagaba. Laughing

CNN, always first with baking nuds
Laughing

More credit goes to NHK World's J-Melo programme. Wink
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:12 pm Reply with quote
ZanraiKid wrote:
While I can applaud CNN for getting the basic ideas behind Kyary right and portraying the persona accurately, I feel she would have never been recognized if it weren't for the Cool Japan initiative. Since she has been around since 2011 and is only just getting mass media attention, you'd think they recognize her career prior. Also, to say she is Japan's hottest export would be guffaw worthy. Kyary's no where close to being the only hot Japanese act, and even South Korea doesn't acknowledge that PSY is the only thing they have in their favor. Then there is the fact that anime still exists...

No several K-pop groups (ie: BigBang, Girls Generation) has already gotten attention around the world. Both BigBang, and Girls Generation and other K-pop groups has already made their marked on the Billboard and other places. Nowhere, J-pop has ever achieved this on a global scale like K-pop did. PSY has already gotten recognition around the world, Kyary doesn't get this same level of global recognition like PSY did. Anime/manga still exist but these day, Korea is already rocking the world thanks to K-pop and K-dramas, and Korean films. Anime/manga is not enough to get Japan on the global radar again. I feel like Japan could model their Cool Japan from their Korean counterpart, South Korea did it well and now look what happen, Hallyu/Korean Wave. South Korea played the marketing/globalization game better then Japan, if Japan can export more J-dramas, J-pop, and other cool thing not only anime and manga, maybe Japan can replicate it's own Hallyu. I'm not sure if Cool Japan program can reach the same level as South Korea for the Hallyu. Right now, Girls Generation, 2NE1, BigBang, SHINee, Super Junior is more recognized worldwide then any of the local J-pop act that include Kyary.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:21 am Reply with quote
This article is not about K-pop, let's not make it about it. Not every thread or article that brings up music out of Asia needs to become about k-pop. If it was about the music industry as a whole, okay, but this is just about one artist getting recognition.
EricJ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:43 am Reply with quote
So, what's with the "Japanese Lady Gaga" thing, anyway?
Is she really some attention-starved tranny who has to always wear sunglasses over her creepy little unconvincing guy-eyes? Cool
Razz

(Well, I dunno, maybe KPP is, from that YouTube clip, first I've heard about it...)
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:05 am Reply with quote
It was funny that they dubbed her with that very mature British voice. Wink
slicKrox

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:37 am Reply with quote
First asked my self: am I actually listening this? Finished watching all interview and I can not say, that I didn't liked that, it was fun and colourful. PS: Who knows what song at 1:20 ?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:44 am Reply with quote
What's so different from this pop star to the next? I've never heard of her before, and they're all virtually the same to me, but then again, I don't give two shits for j-pop unless it plays for a minute and a half before or after my cartoons.

On second thought, I do think I've heard that one song via the Pomf parody, but that's about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2