• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Winter 2014-The List

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ignatz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:51 pm Reply with quote
So, Hozuki no Reitetsu is gonna be the second Wit Studio's TV series after Attack on Titan, huh. Doesn't look very impressive. Confused

Anyway, am I the only one hyped for this season's Pupa? I hope it will be an awesome horror series. Anime hyper
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm unfamiliar with Hozuki no Reitetsu tbh but the preview seems interesting enough. I'll look forward to Pupa and somewhat of Buddy Complex though.

Regarding Pupa, I heard it's a 5 minute anime...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Wow, after Majestic Prince and Valvrave, boy do the Mecha in Buddy Complex look.....dull.

Now, granted if its a somewhat more grounded take on the mecha genre that could be good.

But it's a Sunrise piece....
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
The synopsis for Sakura Trick is kind of hilarious. "They're BEST FRIENDS, everyone. The best of FRIENDS. They share a very meaningful FRIENDSHIP. That's all that's going on here they're FRIENDS."
jet_

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Leave it to ANN to not mention words like yuri, lesbians and in love with in a spotlight about a yuri anime.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure what goes up on the spotlight is what they are given by whomever in Japan gives it to them.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:52 pm Reply with quote
i am surprised they did not use "a certain pilot's love song" as the title considerign all the extra views that could have brought.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
This looks like it could be a fun show to watch and I"m a bit of a sucker for yuri, which I've heard that the source manga is quite direct about. If it delivers that and things aren't too crowded this season, I might watch it.

I wince a little, I confess, at the mention of Haruka's cup size. Treating breast size in any sense as a character trait tends to sound a warning bell to me.

jet_ wrote:
Leave it to ANN to not mention words like yuri, lesbians and in love with in a spotlight about a yuri anime.

I think that you're mislaying blame here. My understanding is that ANN merely translates and formats materials sent by the Japanese companies. As such, if those words are avoided, barring translations errors, it's almost surely because the Japanese staff who provided the materials avoided the words. Furthermore, I can't imagine where any mandate to avoid using, "lesbians," and, "yuri," might come from.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:23 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I'm pretty sure what goes up on the spotlight is what they are given by whomever in Japan gives it to them.

That makes sense. Now I wonder why a new thread wasn't made when the Sakura Trick spotlight was commented.
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

I wince a little, I confess, at the mention of Haruka's cup size. Treating breast size in any sense as a character trait tends to sound a warning bell to me.

Indeed, something like that makes the whole mess sound like Lesbian Fetishization - The Series!
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Space Dandy: Seems like it could be a fun ride, but I'm not feeling that "gotta watch this" spark.

Hozuki: No strong opinions one way or another. Story seems somewhat interesting though.

Buddy Complex: PLEASE, Sunrise, for the love of God, make this show as gay as it can possibly be without actually being BL (since that would sadly enough never fly on Japanese TV). Should be pretty gay, though, mecha shows are always ridiculously gay for some strange reason. Don't let me down with the doujins, fujos. Char designs could be better. Hina a cute, though.

Sakura Trick: Cute character designs. Zero interest otherwise.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:53 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
getchman wrote:

That makes sense. Now I wonder why a new thread wasn't made when the Sakura Trick spotlight was commented.

The Engrish in some of these previews is a big clue.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:54 pm Reply with quote
The only thing that I'm really looking forward to in the winter season is Space Dandy. There are a couple other titles I'm looking into, but from what I've seen of Space Dandy (All the previews and the 9 minutes of the first episode they released) it is a most definite for me, and seems like it will be a very fun ride. My cousin and I are watching the premiere together Saturday and she is very excited as well.

I might try Sakura Trick still even though I got bored of the manga after a bit, but I dunno.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I've got 7 definite must watch shows for Winter thus far: Space Dandy, SYD 2, Super Sonico, Maken-ki 2, Witch Craft Works, Wizard Barristers, Chuunibyou 2; 3 obligation series in the new Saki, Toaru Hikuushi TV, Gin no Saji 2; and some ones I'm willing to try in Nisekoi, D-Frag, Sekai Seifuku, and Inari Konkon Koi Iroha. There were others like Nobunaga the Fool and Buddy Complex, but I'll wait until reviews or opinions start flowing on those, the "willing to watch" series are the ones I'll just start on immediately. So that's at least 14 new series on top of Kill la Kill, Log Horizon, Space Brothers, Gundam Build Fighters, Samurai Flamenco, and Magi 2. Haven't had so many two(+) cours series in a while.

It can be a hassle when everything seems interesting.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

It can be a hassle when everything seems interesting.

yup, I'm right there with you. 18 new shows look interesting to me, as well as 10 carryovers

Last edited by getchman on Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8