• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Year-end Survey

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Why is ANN an option for what service do you use to stream anime when you no longer stream anime? For the previews? Confused

Tough choices--I need to pick a favorite manga company? Razz

I think you guys are doing a great job in general. Just never, ever switch to Disqus.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
OK, just finished the survey!!! Can't wait to see what future announcement which will help enhance ANN. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Surveys are neat and surveys are good. Hurrah for surveys!

There was something that I wanted to suggest for adding or expanding coverage, but I wasn't sure where it fit or how to put it. I've thought for a while that it would be interesting if ANN had an actual Japanese correspondent or two who could report on or analyze the attitudes and culture of Japanese fans. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a pile of practical impossibilities that prevent this, but it could be interesting, if only as an occasional feature or special series of columns, and make them less of a black box.

I'd certainly like to see Brain Diving come back or something similar that deals with comparatively 'academic' subjects. A column, perhaps with rotating writers, that undertakes analytical criticism of anime might be interesting too and could provoke conversation.

I think that it would be nice to improve the subscriber benefits too. ANN has its loyal group of idiots who keep giving it money, but it might get more idiots with a more appealing package and the loyalists would hardly say no.

Agent355 wrote:
I think you guys are doing a great job in general. Just never, ever switch to Disqus.

Seconded emphatically. Disqus is wretched.

A newer version of the software now in use would probably be fine; no need to rock the boat too much. I don't care much for comments appended to articles, but there is something a little tempting about something that would justify burning the Talkback forum down.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:32 pm Reply with quote
By "MCM" under companies do you perhaps mean "MVM"?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:18 am Reply with quote
I just hope ANN to stay focus on covering anime manga only (including cosplay,merchandise,event).

Diversing into video game territory (also, japanese entertainment industry, and worse, non japanese entertainment industry) isn't always good.

I feel the current content is already balanced, except for some non anime related video game reviews, such as The Last of Us, Remember Me, etc.
navycherub

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:18 am Reply with quote
"YouTube (Really, you watch legal anime on YouTube?)"

Hey, I watched at least three legal anime on YouTube this year - Inferno Cop, Turning Girls, and the Cardfight!! Vanguard dub. They exist.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:21 am Reply with quote
There was a point when YouTube was the only way to watch FUNimation simulcasts in the UK since all their other venues were US-only even when they have UK rights. They stopped putting simulcasts up on YouTube unfortunately.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
biolizard_alpha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:27 am Reply with quote
That survey was missing a lot of "None" options. I come here just for the news, not for any of the columns you guys do.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
That part about old columns was interesting--it was RIDICULOUSLY hard to pick which one I wanted to see back--as I've never seen any of them before and they all sounded really interesting.

Nonetheless I completed the whole survey. I'm excited to see what the future has in store for ANN.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:40 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

There was something that I wanted to suggest for adding or expanding coverage, but I wasn't sure where it fit or how to put it. I've thought for a while that it would be interesting if ANN had an actual Japanese correspondent or two who could report on or analyze the attitudes and culture of Japanese fans.

I could be wrong, but I thought that mewpudding101 or maybe it was GokuMew2 were occasional correspondents from Japan to the site. Could have sworn I recall one or both of them writing up articles for the site at some point.

Quote:
I think that it would be nice to improve the subscriber benefits too. ANN has its loyal group of idiots who keep giving it money, but it might get more idiots with a more appealing package and the loyalists would hardly say no.
I'm kinda surprised just how many subscribers there actually are. According to the usergroup, there's 224 of us. Granted, some in the group are moderators, so I assume they're just part of the group so they can make sure we're not plotting to overthrow the site or anything, but still, there's a lot of people that subscribe and don't actually post in the forums or anything.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:46 am Reply with quote
Why wasn't there a "Not yet, but I plan to" option for the Anime News Nina Kickstarter question? You made me feel all bad & stuff. Confused
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:03 am Reply with quote
RightStuf/Nozomi/Lucky Penny is my favorite anime company, but that wasn't one of the choices. I voted for my second favorite company, but I just wanted to let you know that I would have chosen RightStuf if that was a choice.
rydia251

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:11 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
I could be wrong, but I thought that mewpudding101 or maybe it was GokuMew2 were occasional correspondents from Japan to the site. Could have sworn I recall one or both of them writing up articles for the site at some point.

Think you are thinking of mewpudding, at least according to a recent article. GokuMew posts frequently but I don't remember her (or him?) posting articles. Sorry to either if I am confusing genders.
Panon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:17 am Reply with quote
NavyCherub wrote:
"YouTube (Really, you watch legal anime on YouTube?)"

Hey, I watched at least three legal anime on YouTube this year - Inferno Cop, Turning Girls, and the Cardfight!! Vanguard dub. They exist.

Bandai have been simulcasting Gundam on Youtube for more than two years now as well

So yeah, "really".
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:05 am Reply with quote
I think everything is going pretty well here. I haven't been around here very long, but I've recently been reading more articles and spending more time here.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of most of those other comment systems, but it would be nice to have the talkback directly with the articles rather than linked like it is. I don't dislike the forum format, but sometimes it can get a little cluttered if peoples' conversations start branching out within the thread.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4