• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Neon Genesis Resurrection

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:49 am Reply with quote
Aoi Hana, eh?

/makes note to check it out in near future
NGE1113

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:44 am Reply with quote
As per the Eva manga, yeah, the tenth volume was okay, but not that great to me. Aside from the months-on-months-on-months between volumes, it just feels that Sadamoto plays things a bit too safe (i.e., too close to the anime) for my own taste. The events are shuffled around a bit (the history behind NERV occurs quite a bit later here than it did in the anime), but for the most part, just stuck to close to the anime. Of course, it's weird and neat at the same time to see Kaworu still hanging around, as well as Shinji hating his guts. All in all, for me, not a bad read, but there were some possibilties for improvement that could have been worked on over the course of the manga, but never materialized.

Now for another round of waiting until volume 11 comes out...
shamelessfanboy

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I love Aoi Hana too, to be honest.
smoochy

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I've always wanted to check out Parasyte, and now I have a recommendation. Excellent.
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I see what you're saying regarding the linearity of the story in Parasyte, but I think that works for the overall series. It's a straightforward action-horror series, and it doesn't waste a lot of time on fluff, it gets right to the meat of the story quickly. It doesn't have the atmospheric creepiness of some series, but it's still engaging enough in its own way, I think.

I absolutely loved this series back when it was being serialized in MixxZine, so finally getting to see the series brought to life again is a welcome surprise. The one thing that bums me out about the new edition, though, is that the hand is no longer named "Lefty." Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PhatPhil

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Sweet mother of god, they FINALLY released volume 10 of the Eva manga?!

*rushes off to nearest bookstore to get a copy*

Well at least it finally got started up again, god knows ADV BOMBED in the manga market...

Hence why we'll probably NEVER see Yotsuba&! volume 4-6 anytime soon. D:
NGE1113

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
PhatPhil wrote:
Well at least it finally got started up again, god knows ADV BOMBED in the manga market...

Hence why we'll probably NEVER see Yotsuba&! volume 4-6 anytime soon. D:

Actually, the massive delays in getting Eva released are due to the mangaka, Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, taking his time finishing it up.

Also, from my understanding from these two posts, both Yotsuba?! and Gunslinger Girl are slated to return to publication this July.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:40 pm Reply with quote
People confusing Viz's real Evangelion with ADV's cracky Evangelion spinoff makes me a sad panda. Sad

But I'll believe Yotsuba& 4 is out when I hold a cold, hard copy in my hands. Rolling Eyes
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I haven't checked out Parasyte yet, but it looks freakin' awesome from everything that I've read about it. Really glad that Del Rey is re-releasing this series. Perhaps its translator will come by and put in his two cents...?

I've also had Aoi Hana sitting on my computer for a while. Should really look into it, especially since the same publisher also put out Nijigahara Holograph. Exclamation (Really should start a thread on that soon.)

NGE1113 wrote:
Aside from the months-on-months-on-months between volumes,

You can change that to chapters and it'd still be true.

Quote:
it just feels that Sadamoto plays things a bit too safe (i.e., too close to the anime) for my own taste.

It's one of my many complaints about the manga as it started off quite well and it seemed as though this was going to be Sadamoto's own version, but somewhere along the line he fell back onto just writing a lackluster "fanfiction" (or rather, "doujinshi") that just took and spun around some plot events and characterizations, and for worse, not the better. It's more redundant, than anything else, except its not "faithful," either. I wish that he would've gone his own way or else just let the series remain intact, but he didn't, and it's disappointing.

Way too Rei-centric (yet for all of Sadamoto's attempts to make her "develop," she's still not much more than a plot device), Shinji becomes generic, Asuka's purpose is pretty much cut along with the depth she had in the anime, and the manga feels less inclusive with the adults. I mean, with the anime, the adults were practically as much of a focus as the children, which is a nice change of pace, but in the manga their roles are largely downplayed (and please, don't anybody bring up that contrived "background" that Sadamoto gave Kaji).

Like I said in a thread over at the manga section (which gets so little traffic compared to the anime), I really enjoy Sadamoto's short stories, but his adapted material leaves much to be desired.

Quote:
Now for another round of waiting until volume 11 comes out...

Keeping up with the chapters as they come out in Japan (through the usual illegal means, of course), I think that there's enough material for volume eleven to be put out... It's just a matter of Sadamoto not being lazy and actually getting it together.

NGE1113 wrote:
PhatPhil wrote:

Actually, the massive delays in getting Eva released are due to the mangaka, Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, taking his time finishing it up.

Not to mention that it's Viz releasing the NGE manga, not ADV. Rolling Eyes
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
I haven't checked out Parasyte yet, but it looks freakin' awesome from everything that I've read about it. Really glad that Del Rey is re-releasing this series. Perhaps its translator will come by and put in his two cents...?

What about? The little jibe I made about the translation (about the hand no longer being called "Lefty") is explained pretty clearly in the translation notes. It's actually his right hand, but since Mixx/Tokyopop reversed the artwork, it became his left hand. And since "Lefty" *is* a nickname of sorts in America, it worked. With the artwork now unreversed, the name "Righty" wouldn't make much sense, so they left it as the original Japanese, "Migi."

Also, regarding the complaints in the review about the lack of depth in some of the characters, they become much more developed in future volumes. Future villains in particular get pretty devious......but I don't want to spoil anything. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Hm... your review is exactly why I don't read most of the Gundam mangas. They look like poory drawn fanwork. Though, if you want a good gundam series, imo, you should try out "Mobile Suit Gundam: Ecole du Ciel". It has some of the best artwork I've seen in a gundam manga, and it actually has a coherent story. I know I'm enjoying it, as it slowly comes out from TP (read 3 times a year)...
MidnightDemon

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:06 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
I see what you're saying regarding the linearity of the story in Parasyte, but I think that works for the overall series. It's a straightforward action-horror series, and it doesn't waste a lot of time on fluff, it gets right to the meat of the story quickly. It doesn't have the atmospheric creepiness of some series, but it's still engaging enough in its own way, I think.

I absolutely loved this series back when it was being serialized in MixxZine, so finally getting to see the series brought to life again is a welcome surprise. The one thing that bums me out about the new edition, though, is that the hand is no longer named "Lefty." Sad

Shocked .. agh
but yay for reprints~!
I also remember it waaay back in the one volume of mixx that I bought
(and that was for the sailor moon, I was really little, gimme a break Razz)
It's been so long, I'm definitely picking his one up
at least for the nostalgia Smile
and the random slicing Smile
NinjaUmbreon

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:57 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Hm... your review is exactly why I don't read most of the Gundam mangas. They look like poory drawn fanwork. Though, if you want a good gundam series, imo, you should try out "Mobile Suit Gundam: Ecole du Ciel". It has some of the best artwork I've seen in a gundam manga, and it actually has a coherent story. I know I'm enjoying it, as it slowly comes out from TP (read 3 times a year)...

I haven't read Mobile Suit Gundam: Ecole du Ciel, but Char's Deleted Affair is really well drawn and has a good story line. I also enjoyed Gundam Crossbone, although other then the Gundams in it some of the other mechs are pretty lame looking.
PhatPhil

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:04 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
I
NGE1113 wrote:
PhatPhil wrote:

Not to mention that it's Viz releasing the NGE manga, not ADV. Rolling Eyes

Okay, EXCUSE me for making a wrong statement, god forbid I mix it up, considering most of ADV's manga are in that god awful dry cover that is extremely unpleasant to the touch and from what I remember, that's the style of covers for most of the manga volumes.

ALL OF THAT ASIDE, I'm just glad it's finally out.

On another note, thank you for that info of the release of Yotsuba&! volume 4, it's been annoying that ADV has been slacking off like CRAZY with their manga releases. First it was Chrono Crusade, then Angelic Days, THEN Angel/Dust neo, I've pretty much lost all faith in their ability to get manga out consistently. ~_~
therealssjlink

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:19 pm Reply with quote
To say that I do not like yuri because I do not think Blue Flower must be a joke....

I like realistic yuri, and that is also the reason why I do not like Marimete.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4