• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Great Beauty Wins Golden Globe Over The Wind Rises

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:58 am Reply with quote
It should've just been submitted to the animated category. I don't know why it wasn't...
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:21 am Reply with quote
I don't think it would have won in animated category either. Frozen was a beautiful masterpiece, possibly one of the top 5 movies Disney has ever released. It deserved the win, imo.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:22 am Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
I don't think it would have won in animated category either. Frozen was a beautiful masterpiece, possibly one of the top 5 movies Disney has ever released. It deserved the win, imo.
I felt The Wind Rises had much deeper meaning and overall more value than Frozen and deserved to win over that in animation.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:22 am Reply with quote
Frozen was a good movie, but I wouldn't go anywhere near as far as putting it in Disney's top 5 all-time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I am more disappointed the Hunt lost.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru: The Wind Rises wasn't competing in animation, though.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Frozen was a good movie, but I wouldn't go anywhere near as far as putting it in Disney's top 5 all-time.

I think Frozen pulls its weight against a lot of the Disney films for breaking the mold (putting love between two sisters above romantic love, for instance) and the character Elsa holds a special place for those identifying as LGBTQ.

I grew up during Disney's Golden Age, and distinctly remember seeing Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin in theaters. I obsessively watched Sleeping Beauty as a kid but I have to agree with above poster, Frozen's narrative definitely puts it into the top 5 spot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Yes, but the animation and character designs in Frozen are so generic. Many people have pointed out that Anna looks like Rapunzel from Tangled. It brought down the movie for me. Great feminist themes, nice reversal of Disney movie tropes, boring CG animation.

I miss American hand drawn animation already. Sad

Now onto the Oscars, where Madoka Magica Rebellion will certainly win for best animated feature! Laughing
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:

I grew up during Disney's Golden Age, and distinctly remember seeing Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin in theaters. I obsessively watched Sleeping Beauty as a kid but I have to agree with above poster, Frozen's narrative definitely puts it into the top 5 spot.

That's the renaissance, the Golden Age was from the 30s through the 50s. *pushes glasses up nose*
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
octopodpie wrote:

That's the renaissance, the Golden Age was from the 30s through the 50s. *pushes glasses up nose*

So you're saying I'm NOT 70 years old?! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Yes, but the animation and character designs in Frozen are so generic. Many people have pointed out that Anna looks like Rapunzel from Tangled. It brought down the movie for me. Great feminist themes, nice reversal of Disney movie tropes, boring CG animation.

I miss American hand drawn animation already.

Generic because one single other movie in the same vein of production looks the same? That's fine with me, I like those character designs and how charming it works out being CG. The missing of hand drawn will go on, Disney closed that studio down and no one else would even attempt it.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Key wrote:

I think Frozen pulls its weight against a lot of the Disney films for breaking the mold (putting love between two sisters above romantic love, for instance) and the character Elsa holds a special place for those identifying as LGBTQ.

These are my thoughts exactly. I thought it was a brilliant way of reinventing and modernizing tried and true classic Disney tropes, by: (spoiler tagged just in case)

spoiler[1) Making a princess story where the princess is the most active participant and the savior, as opposed to the old trope of princesses who were passive and waited to be saved.
2) Rather than a classic battle between good and evil, Frozen is about accepting yourself and about sister love. The "villain" isn't even revealed until the last act of the story, and what drives the movie and the characters is Elsa's conflict with herself.
3)Making a joke from the classic Disney "love at first sight". Anna is initially naive and falls into that "trope", but is constantly laughed at because of it, and her impulsiveness put her, Elsa and their kingdom in great peril
4)Conserving the message of true love as the ultimate power, but subverting it by making the cursed princess the actor and not the receiver, by stomping on the dated notion of "true love kiss" and switching it to a broader and better definition of "love" ]

Seriously, Frozen is the best thing Disney has done in a really long time, and I wouldn't hesitate to put it in my Top 10 all-time Disney movies and Top 5 Disney Princess movies.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I know it's Miyazaki/Ghibli but I still find think it's nomination is a real accomplishment for it's nomination. Well here's to hoping it snags an Oscar nod even if it will lose to the heavy contender Frozen. Still hoping for a double whammy of anime this year, with Madoka Magica and Wind Rises, who knows a triple whammy. Unlikely as it is, a guy can dream right?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Uhh... Madoka has zero chances of actually getting nominated for the Oscar. While I doubt any anime other than The Wind Rises will be nominated, if there was any other anime film with even a faint hope, it would be Letter to Momo. But I'm gonna go ahead and predict the only "foreign" nominees in the Best Animated Feature category this year will be The Wind Rises and Ernest and Celestine, since those are the ones with momentum.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi: I think you're underestimating Momo. It's more Ghibli-esque than the official Ghibli movie in contention.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2