• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wind Rises' Miyazaki, 'Tsukumo' Director Morita React to Oscar Nods

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see The Wind Rises has a nomination but a shame nothing for Madoka 3, but we all knew that was a long shot anyway.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Glad to see The Wind Rises has a nomination but a shame nothing for Madoka 3, but we all knew that was a long shot anyway.

That wasn't even a long shot. Epic would have stood a better chance of being nominated than a sequel to a TV series (or set of movies) that none of the critics or Academy members would have seen, understood, or cared one shit about.
otakunomike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
As a huge Mamarou Hosoda fan I was hoping for Wolf Children (which due to funky requirements, was technically eligible) but that one was a long shot. Unfortunately with the way the Academy is, Frozen will probably end up winning
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't even think Wolf Children was submitted, guess FUNi didn't want to waste the money on any kind of campaigning.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:

I really couldn't imagine Rebellion winning an Oscar. I would, however, like to see someday an anime movie be nominated for just Best Picture, rather than just best "animated" picture. I hope that one day there will be something that clearly deserves to stand as an equal. Anime needs a "The Godfather." Or really just more movies period (especially that aren't just recaps or continuations of series).
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:02 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:

I really couldn't imagine Rebellion winning an Oscar. I would, however, like to see someday an anime movie be nominated for just Best Picture, rather than just best "animated" picture. I hope that one day there will be something that clearly deserves to stand as an equal. Anime needs a "The Godfather." Or really just more movies period (especially that aren't just recaps or continuations of series).

I never saw it winning but I figured eh maybe it had a shot of getting nominated, I don't even see the Wind Rises winning.

Also sad FUNi passed on the chance to give Wolf Children a run it was a very sweet and touching movie.
kayori1928

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they were nominated but the animation category is a tough category this year and the movie hasn't come out in our theaters yet
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:21 pm Reply with quote
kayori1928 wrote:
I'm glad they were nominated but the animation category is a tough category this year and the movie hasn't come out in our theaters yet

Yeah I agreed, it would take a miracle for The Wind Rises to win a oscar at the Academy Award.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote
otakunomike wrote:
As a huge Mamarou Hosoda fan I was hoping for Wolf Children (which due to funky requirements, was technically eligible) but that one was a long shot. Unfortunately with the way the Academy is, Frozen will probably end up winning

Unfortunately? Frozen was one of the best movies of the year period. I'd love to see Miyazaki get a second statue, but the day for the Disney studios proper has finally come.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling "Frozen" will end up winning, but then again a few heads were turned when "Lilo and Stitch" lost to Miyazaki's "Spirited Away" so I think there could still be a chance in Miyazaki getting one last Oscar before retiring. But I also haven't had the chance to see "Frozen" yet so I'm not sure what to expect.
Animexcel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Not only is Spirited Away the only Japanese animated feature to win the Oscar, but it's the only 2D animated film to win in it's catagory period. The rest of the winners were computer animated.
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:08 am Reply with quote
well on the bright side out of the 5 films two of them are 2D.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:18 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:

I definitely agree on this. I can get most of my "non-anime" friends to sit through an anime movie, but not a whole show. Unfortunately, there are too few anime movies to choose from that don't rely on past knowledge of a show. At least not that I am aware of.
Oraculo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:15 am Reply with quote
otakunomike wrote:
Frozen was one of the best movies of the year period.

Say what now? Soooo, how many animated movies have you seen, period? Confused Technically (as in "3D animation technique") Frozen was very good (oooh, so pretty ice 'n water stuff! Surprised ). In every other way, it was not impressive at all, with its boring storyline and not-very-engaging characters. (Not even Olaf, sorry.) Neutral
So just score another one for "neon, glittering distractions," I guess. *sigh*
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Oraculo wrote:
otakunomike wrote:
Frozen was one of the best movies of the year period.

Say what now? Soooo, how many animated movies have you seen, period? Confused Technically (as in "3D animation technique") Frozen was very good (oooh, so pretty ice 'n water stuff! Surprised ). In every other way, it was not impressive at all, with its boring storyline and not-very-engaging characters. (Not even Olaf, sorry.) Neutral
So just score another one for "neon, glittering distractions," I guess. *sigh*

I agree with this. I enjoyed it, but more because of the company I was with then because the movie was actually good. I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't think the story was anything special.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2