• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Licenses Fusé: Memoirs of a Huntress Anime Film

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I've never heard of this before, so it'll be another blind buy for me from NISA.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested, plus I love NISA's releases.

Anybody seen it and/or know if it's any good?
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
OMG! I never thought this would get licensed.

NISA does it again, licensing quality stuff that I thought I would never see over here.

I thought this film was absolutely great, BTW. Some of the scenes early on might be a little difficult for some people, though, since she IS a huntress. Not very graphic, but hits hard. After that, the story starts.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Just like Princess and the Pilot from last year. Movie premise seems like one I'd want to snag up, but is only on Blu-Ray. NIS is losing out on a customer again. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Damn that box is colorful, looks better than a lot of the film did. I've seen it, it's been streaming on hulu for a while now, and I didn't like it that much. Felt like it was slow and didn't really know what story it wanted to tell so it just combined a few smaller stories instead and got meta in a really weird way ("Okay so it's based on the Hakkenden but we have someone writing the Hakkenden as it's going on but there are also people putting on a play of it and it's implied that they have the same source material the novelist did, ow my head"). But hey, it's on hulu so check it out if you don't want to blind buy, can't hurt anyway!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Looks kinda cool. Since NISA seems to be branching out a bit into movies, I wish it would branch out in a different way as well: currently, it tends to license recent productions. I'd love if it started to "reach back" and pluck available titles from the past and give them the NISA treatment.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:14 pm Reply with quote
First the Mai Mai Miracle kickstarter and now this? Today was a good day. Even though I have never heard of this title before i'll be picking it up, as NISA has yet to disappoint me with any of their licenses.

Ggultra2764 wrote:
Just like Princess and the Pilot from last year. Movie premise seems like one I'd want to snag up, but is only on Blu-Ray. NIS is losing out on a customer again. Sad

This is just my personal opinion, but if you do not own a Blu-Ray player in 2014, you're really missing out. It's anything but expensive to get one, and if you're just somewhat serious about buying anime you should get one for the increased quality, which most definitely leads to a better viewing experience Wink!
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
You're listed as a collector and yet you dont have a bluray player in 2014? You should take some of your collector's money and spend 50 bucks on a bluray player. You really have no right to complain at this point of time.

Also, THIS is how you give customers a good value! NIS of A really seems to care about us. I wish aNiplex would learn this

Last edited by Kougeru on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I've watched this movie already on fansubs and it was alright; I rated it as Good here at ANN. The core relationship was a bit weak and it isn't the most tightly-written of movies, but it is a diverting watch with some reasonably good visuals. In many ways it very much resembles a Ghibli movie.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
This is just my personal opinion, but if you do not own a Blu-Ray player in 2014, you're really missing out. It's anything but expensive to get one, and if you're just somewhat serious about buying anime you should get one for the increased quality, which most definitely leads to a better viewing experience Wink!

Quote:
You're listed as a collector and yet you don't have a bluray player in 2014? You should take some of your collector's money and spend 50 bucks on a bluray player. You really have no right to complain at this point of time.

Getting a stand alone player is that cheap, yes. But I'd still have to go through the hassle of getting an HDTV that would be compatible with said player and those are still anywhere from $100 to $200 for the smaller screen models they have out on the market. And for anyone that argues getting one I could hook up to my computer, why go through the hassle of having to find compatible software with it for my computer just to see one movie that is Blu-Ray only format when the majority of my collection is DVDs that I can get cheaper than said Blu-Ray releases?

Also I've argued this before with folks in the Subscribers forum: I don't see the perks of moving onto Blu-Ray if all I'm getting is better-looking image quality and higher resolution, especially as I've heard of many current titles in the format here in the states mostly being upscales. I don't want to move on to something new technologically if the only perk to it is better-looking visuals, as I care for more than just visual quality with what I watch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:39 pm Reply with quote
@ Ggultra2764 - well, in your case, the perks are more than just better visual and sound quality. BD-only releases have become more common and my guess is that they will continue to become more common. So by not having a means of playing BDs, you are restricting the number of titles you can physically own legitimately.

Having said that, I completely understand where you are coming from. I tend to favour BD releases over DVDs when the price difference isn't astronomical, but frankly, I feel like I'm buying into hype. I've been watching my GoS DVD LE and it looks freakin' gorgeous on my BD player and HDTV. Granted not every DVD release will be to that quality, but I also know my Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust DVD also looks stunning on my set-up.

But the restriction on titles (due to the growing number of BD-only releases) is a real disadvantage.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Ggultra2764 - well, in your case, the perks are more than just better visual and sound quality. BD-only releases have become more common and my guess is that they will continue to become more common. So by not having a means of playing BDs, you are restricting the number of titles you can physically own legitimately.

Having said that, I completely understand where you are coming from. I tend to favour BD releases over DVDs when the price difference isn't astronomical, but frankly, I feel like I'm buying into hype. I've been watching my GoS DVD LE and it looks freakin' gorgeous on my BD player and HDTV. Granted not every DVD release will be to that quality, but I also know my Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust DVD also looks stunning on my set-up.

But the restriction on titles (due to the growing number of BD-only releases) is a real disadvantage.

The only distributors known to have the occasional Blu-Ray-only releases currently are Aniplex and NIS America, and they tend to cater more to high-end buyers in many instances. Other distributors like Funimation and Sentai are still offering either DVD-only or simultaneous Blu-Ray and DVD releases with their titles.
Yuno_Shiki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
You're listed as a collector and yet you don't have a bluray player in 2014? You should take some of your collector's money and spend 50 bucks on a bluray player. You really have no right to complain at this point of time.

Also, THIS is how you give customers a good value! NIS of A really seems to care about us. I wish aNiplex would learn this

The main gripe I have with Bluray is it's lack of flexibility... with DVD's I'm relatively free to play as I want... but blurays have the complication of hardware and software difficulties. If you got a player at home and the TV for it that's great but if you're looking to view it on a computer is complicated because you need both a hardware that's capable of playing the disc AND a software that has the proprietary codecs. I have a bluray player on my desktop computer that I DO use... and I still had to pay up 80 bucks for a media player that could then play it on my bluray capable hardware...

I still like it since I'm always one of those tech geeks that loves the latest and greatest stuff, but it's not worth it to me to play out arguments over the adoption of it as though it's the coolest thing on the block. Blurays aren't exactly THAT integrated into our daily lives yet, No offense Rolling Eyes

That being said, I personally would have liked to have had a DVD combo pack option for this at least. Since I don't have any bluray capability when I'm on my laptop. The series itself, is worth watching though for those who can get it.

Last edited by Yuno_Shiki on Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:47 pm Reply with quote
That's part of the reason DVD is still popular, it's ubiquitous and incorporated into everything where BD has not gone. BD players are not standard in computers and laptops, in cars, or as built-ins on some TV models. Even if stand-alone player prices have dropped, it's not the same kind of penetration into all devices, yet.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote
@Ggultra2764:

You sound like a person refusing to buy DVDs because VHS is cheaper and a DVD player is too much of a "hassle" to install.

If you have a choice between BR or DVD then sure, get the cheaper version. But if your choice is between BR or nothing, then your argument that BR is not worth it because there's a cheaper alternative product or that you don't need the HD visuals flies out the window.

HD televisions are pretty cheap now, not that you need one. If all you want to do is watch BRs then a CRT TV is fine. You won't get the HD visuals but you said you don't care about them anyway. If the only way to watch a title is on BR then a CRT or non-HD flatscreen will do fine.

Also, getting the software on your computer to handle a BR player is so easy that it isn't a legitimate excuse.

I personally don't mind DVD-quality releases. 480p is fine for me except for a very select group of releases that deserve to be watched in HD. But this is 2014; even I've accepted the fact that more and more BR-only releases are coming out and will be coming out in the future. You should too.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Even if stand-alone player prices have dropped, it's not the same kind of penetration into all devices, yet.

Well, anyone with a PS3 or latest-gen console can play BR shows and movies, so if you're a gamer as well as an anime fan then you're likely already covered.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3