• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Kickstarting Points

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Rated H would probably be the right rating for Drakengard III.
king 47

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:21 pm Reply with quote
DK info is not correct. It's has the wrong publisher and developer.

Last edited by king 47 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brimfyre

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Yeah, Rated H would probably be the right rating for Drakengard III.

Not in 'Merica. All the sex got censored and replaced by sentences like, "Hey Cool." "I believe in things too."
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
The 'Blackmore' game looks really interesting. Looks like I'll have to start keeping tabs on Kickstarter for indie games and other original projects. Looking forward to seeing this in action.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I don't have really much to note about today's X Button, though it could mostly be credited to my being ill right now and not really having time for games at present. Sad

Though I must say the cartoon certainly made sense, and ended on a rather dreary note.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Brimfyre wrote:
Not in 'Merica. All the sex got censored and replaced by sentences like, "Hey Cool." "I believe in things too."

The irony is that's what you can expect from a Japanese publisher of JP games. Anytime there's a JP publisher, assume risk-averse localization or censoring. Same goes for Korean publishers of their native games.

Given what SQenix did to Drakengard 1
Quote:
The Japanese version of the game featured several very adult oriented themes, and many characters had more than questionable sexual orientations and/or perversion. Leonard is actually a pedophile, and Furiae feels sexual desire for her brother. Arioch, who has lost her womb from her pact and gone mad, enjoys killing and eating children. While all of this isn't reflected in the actual game play, it is inside cut scenes and conversations between characters. Most of these were removed in the American version of the game, making certain cut scenes very difficult to understand. For example, when partly possessed by "The Watchers", Furiae chooses to kill herself, rather than reveal her feelings for her brother, but the censorship makes the reasons for her actions very unclear.

and the messy and confusing result, I bet that's why they demanded the developers for Drakengard 2
Quote:
In contrast to the previous game, the game contained far less of the mature themes found in the original. Shiba, speaking in a 2013 interview, said that the reason for this was that Square Enix, the company's Japanese publisher, wanted that aspect toned down to make a more mainstream game.[21]

And continuing the trend, from what I've read, there probably isn't much to censor, if any, for Drakengard 3
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
At this point I almost feel like no one who brings up Drakengard 1 actually played Drakengard one.

The game was hardly tronned down. None of of Anrioch's twisted self is taken down. Leonard's pedo stuff is not removed, just made more subtle.

And the most important thing that people like to bring up is the incest. I hate to tell you, there's no big sex cutscene missing. They changed a few words during the cutscene in the path where Furaire kills herself. Her reason for killing her self is now very understated, but it's quite obvious that she is killing herself because of Caim's disgust which is the entire point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ctFtnROfL8

It's there, just far more downplayed. But talk of being dirty, seeing in you're heart, and the cries for her brother("hold me"). It's pretty obvious whats going on.

Plus that Drakengard 2 quote refers to Square Enix in Japan. They wanted a more mainstream game for Japan. SE didn't even publish the game in America.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Raikuro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Forgot to mention Ragnarok Odyssey Ace coming out for PS3 and Vita on Feb 18th.

EDIT: I see now that it was delayed. Damn.

Last edited by Raikuro on Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Now that I have gone through NIER, the spin off, I got to say that Drakengard 3 sounds really good. I'm going to have to go back to the other two now.

Oh god, I just read the wiki of Drakengard. Ending E that results in NIER is badass, giving more backstory in what was already a very confusing storyline.

STRIDER: I was under the impression the Hiryu had a bladed tonfa.

The arcade games were great. Its odd they would keep trying to remake the game. Its story is late 80's style insanity. That doesn't really hold over today. Part two was an early PSX 2d/3d style that also does not hold up in 2014.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The arcade games were great. Its odd they would keep trying to remake the game. Its story is late 80's style insanity. That doesn't really hold over today. Part two was an early PSX 2d/3d style that also does not hold up in 2014.

>What is Metal Gear Rising
>What is ANY Platinum Games Brawler

And besides, what's wrong with bringnin back the insanity of old-school games? Not that I trus Capcom to make a good game these days but eh.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm a huge supporter of La Mulana 2.

Everyone should play the remake of the original like right now... Amazing game, and I really hope it starts to get more momentum so they can hit some decent stretch goals. At its current pace it'll just barely get over the line.
I've been a fan since the original freeware days and NIGORO's never let me down.
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Chagen46"]
Quote:
Not that I trus Capcom to make a good game these days but eh.

Just because the higher-ups are idiots doesn't mean they still don't have talented developers. Though for how long, who knows?
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Strider isn't a big name title.

New consoles are out. We need new IP's not rehashed old crap. Grasping at straws is an awesome way to make money apparently. But for $14.99, it isn't a great gamble still that is wasted effort when they could have been making something new.

Capcom is just cementing in the fact that a console crash is inevitable. I'm hoping that Evil Within/PsychoBreak will be decent without resorting to Resident Evil/Biohazard too much.

We need a SweetHome Redo if they want to go back.

I own Strider on NES, Strider 1 and Strider 2 on Genesis, and the PSX double title with misprint discs. I'm a fan. I'm not railin, just saying they could focus in other areas.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh,

I think we're well overdue for some kind of correction in the videogame industry.

I doubt it will crush the industry as much as the 1983 crash did but one wonders if all the console players are still going to be standing when the dust clears. It's a sure bet a few of the better-known, classic developers will go the way of the Dodo bird or be forced to re-organize like SNK has... SNK's had almost as many regenerations as a company as Dr. Who has! Only Atari's gone through more phoenix rebirths...

The game development budgets are just so bloated now, very few original ideas, and the whole Call of Duty squad-type game has been done to death.

They seriously have to rethink how they do their business I think. I don't know that they can continue to plow through with rose-colored spectacles. I just don't think the executives and major players in the game industry use as many hard drugs as Hollywood does. I still wonder how the traditional entertainment industry is making it with its crazy spending that makes game development costs look downright stingy!

I really thought the crash would have happened last console cycle when two companies got the bright idea to release system at the $400+ level and hardware prices stayed high for pretty much the entire generation!

There really haven't been as many standout games this past cycle of systems. I don't even really think the graphics improved that much, either, even with HD sets available for well over 5 years now in the mainstream. I definitely bought and enjoyed more games on the PS2 for sure!
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Strider isn't a big name title.
We need a SweetHome Redo if they want to go back.

One of these things is not like the other. One is a franchise that has maintained popularity for years, so much so that Capcom has decided to bring it back via inclusion in a Marvel vs. fighting game & a brand-new reboot. Also, Capcom owns half of the rights to said franchise.

The other is an old Famicom title based on a Toho horror movie that just happens to also be a big inspiration for the Resident Evil franchise. Sure, it's an unknown "classic", but considering the fact that it never got officially released outside of Japan kind of makes it hard to be fully appreciated. Also, Capcom doesn't own the rights to the original title & movie.

Sorry, but Strider is a "big name", especially if you're going to mention Sweet Home, of all things, as what Capcom should have rebooted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3