• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - His Favorite

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuzzytipsy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I totally agree about wanting smut to be smutty, and yet somehow this is definitely one of my favorite BL manga. For me, the sense of humor reminds me a lot of Ouran High School Host Club, probably because of the prominence of fangirls in both. I also feel like His Favorite might work well to introduce someone to the BL genre, since it's not smutty, but the main relationship develops in a pretty typical way for BL (significant consent issues at the beginning, lessening as the story progresses), and the overall feel is quite similar to shoujo.

I am so happy that SuBLime is releasing this, and I am always eagerly looking forward to the next volume.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy This is actually my favorite yaoi manga for the exact reasons you cited. I love Yoshida's character design; it's completely distinctive in a genre that can sometimes feel irritatingly homogeneous. I made the same observation, too, about him looking like Luffy. Thanks for reviewing it. Anime hyper
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I understand the wanting smut to be smutty part, but I'm glad that His Favorite doesn't really focus on that. I find the character's relationships to be very adorable, and like to just see their antics. (Course, wouldn't object to them being shown getting a busy. lol)

I love the comedy in the series, and while the art isn't the greatest I feel like it kinda fits with the series. I'm happy to see it getting a physical release as well, and I am supporting it!
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
This is in my top two BL series. Everything said in this article is what makes HF so good. I love everything about Yoshida, is design, character, reactions and development. I'm very excited for the next instalment! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Whenever I have to explain the variations and tropes in BL/Yaoi to someone, this is one of the (4 or 5) titles I recommend. Even though its is something of an outlier, the meta-humor is so reverential of other manga genres, it is worth recommending on its own.

As soon as I saw the cover of the two main characters, I knew I had to buy this book. As long as Sublime keeps publishing the volumes, I'll keep buying them.

Quote:
psychic manimal

... I'm not sure I know what that is ..... Embarassed

Quote:
henohenomoheji

Learned something today! I didn't even know there was a word for that. Wink
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I adore His Favorite for everything the writer pointed out. I'm so grateful for the ANN review - hopefully it will drum up even more love for this series.

The story is genuinely funny and also very sweet. I agree that it would be nice to see a little more action, but it's still one of my favorite titles.

Wouldn't it make an adorable anime?
animefan425

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I find pretty amusing that the reviewer celebrates when a BL manga gets smutty, considering that when male-oriented "ecchi" series do the same they are criticized for being another generic immoral pandering otaku trash.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

Quote:
psychic manimal

I was wondering about that, myself. To me, "Manimal" is the name of a short-lived series about a man that can transform into animals, which I saw in reruns on the SciFi channel (back when it was still called "The SciFi channel"). I have no idea what it's supposed to mean in the context of BL.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
animefan425 wrote:
I find pretty amusing that the reviewer celebrates when a BL manga gets smutty, considering that when male-oriented "ecchi" series do the same they are criticized for being another generic immoral pandering otaku trash.

Oh. boo hoo. Rolling Eyes

as if yaoi fans have never been criticized by fanbois.

BTW, House of 1000 Manga has covered ecchi titles. Check the archives.
fuzzytipsy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
notrogersmith wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

Quote:
psychic manimal

I was wondering about that, myself. To me, "Manimal" is the name of a short-lived series about a man that can transform into animals, which I saw in reruns on the SciFi channel (back when it was still called "The SciFi channel"). I have no idea what it's supposed to mean in the context of BL.

I assumed that is was referring to the Love Pistols (Sex Pistols) series.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
animefan425 wrote:

That isn't true of our editorial and you clearly don't actually read our reviews.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
notrogersmith wrote:

Manimal........ C'mon guys/gals........ Man + animal...... in bed Cool
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I might have to read this sometime. I used to be much more into the BL genre, but it's been a few years since I really actually read any of it, though this sounds like something I'd enjoy. I have a secret soft spot for comedy relief characters finding love, and it sounds like Yoshida is one of those characters put into the spotlight. That, and he's got one of those faces I can't say no to. Smile
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Manimal........ C'mon guys/gals........ Man + animal...... in bed Cool

I kind of doubt it. Not fetish-y enough. This is Japan we're talking about.

Anime smile + sweatdrop
peeyaj

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote
His Favorite is one of my favorite BL manga.. It's a pity though that the manga only has Chapter 19. It's very funny.

@ANN

Is there any chance that you will review Tachibana Benio' Seven Days? Arguably, one of the best shounen ai manga of all time. I hop so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2