• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy - Figma Amy

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
Oh man, that Amy is gorgeous. If I see her for a decent price at Sakura-Con (hah) I might have to pick her up. Or Mandarake (more likely). Now, if only they'd get off their bums and make a MODEL of Chamber already!
GVman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I watched one episode of Gargantia, and said “well, that was fine, I could probably keep up with this,” but now it's today and the Gargantia action figure has been sitting on my stack for about a month and nope, just that one episode.

You're not missing much of anything. The only reason I can think of as to why the show is so well-liked is Chamber's character, but that doesn't fully explain it.
acetatsujin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Hmm ... I'm a big FIGMA collector. Do they have Chamber by chance? He's one of my favorite AI characters.
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
It really is a nice looking figure and the glider is tempting (mostly because it reminds me of Aang's from Avatar) but Amy became so annoying and useless toward the end of the series I can't bring myself to even think about buying it. I'm still waiting for Chamber to get a nice figure or at least a decent figure of Bellows.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
The glider does look really nice here; unique and would look great on a shelf.

I'm going to have to agree with other posters, though. Gargantia was an okay series as a whole, but not something I found incredibly engaging. I remember criticizing overall character development (beyond Ledo) and can't remember Amy serving a real purpose beyond love interest. So not enough love for her to dish out the dough.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:25 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
Quote:
I watched one episode of Gargantia, and said “well, that was fine, I could probably keep up with this,” but now it's today and the Gargantia action figure has been sitting on my stack for about a month and nope, just that one episode.

You're not missing much of anything. The only reason I can think of as to why the show is so well-liked is Chamber's character, but that doesn't fully explain it.
I greatly disagree. The show was one of the best last year IMO. It has a deeper story than what was on the surface, and Chamber is a huge part of that of course but he's not the only good thing about it.
Banken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:33 am Reply with quote
I'm not a big figure fan, but other than the basic design, this doesn't really have more than a passing resemblance to the character...
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
Gargantia, for me, was better than a good number of the shows airing at the time, and it still carries its intended messages and covers some nice themes, but if you watched it because Urobuchi was involved, then you might be a little disappointed, as Urobuchi had little to do with anything but the overall plot outline. It was generally written by amateurs as somewhat of a training project, and Urobuchi wrote just the first and last episodes himself (and most people claim those to be the best episodes, even if the conclusion tends to be a little underwhelming). It still has one "Urobuchi twist" (a twist fans of Urobuchi will have seen before), but aside from slightly changing one character, it doesn't really do much for the themes. It was still good. It's just the weakest Urobuchi work thus far, in my opinion. I believe there's a sequel in the works, so I hope that one develops in a better direction. =3
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1