• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dallos Sub.DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I'd never even heard of it until now. It sounds interesting; I'm keen to watch it. Another title for the backlog I guess.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember A-Team being from that early, and Wikipedia agrees that it's from 1983-1987. So it couldn't have been an influence on anime from 1983 anyway.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Glad to read this review. I may have to take a look at it since we got our copy in. It's been years since I even seen this movie and at the time I wasn't really interested. It was shown at a anime club meet back in the mid to late 80's. I guess sometimes we're glad to see these titles even when they have crappy stories. It shows that we do have some heart on the subject.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I thought it had received a pretty strong remaster for the recent R2 DVDs, maybe they didn't get that version for this? Either way, Dallos was one of the early works that started pumping in a lot of the visual techniques they'd be using later in the decade, like airbrushing, where I think it wasn't really present in contemporaries like Cobra or Crusher Joe.
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I've always wanted to watch this. Now I think I will.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I seen this years ago. Nice.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the historical context, Theron. I didn't realize Dallos was basically the first straight-to-video animation project ever. I was planning on getting the title anyway, but the context gives me extra incentive.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Very cool that we finally got the first ever OVA (directed by MAMORU OSHII of all people); I'll pick this up at some point.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote
It looks like an anime adaptation of Clifford D. Simak's Cemetary World. Worth a gander since that Golden Age is my kind of science fiction.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Based on the description I've read of Cemetary World, there's no real similarity between it and Dallos. The cemetery visible in the cover art is used more for poignant impact than as a prevailing theme. (It literally does not appear until the last couple of minutes of the series.)

Oh, and expect at least one more '80s OVA/movie to pop up in the near future in reviews.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
the plot sounds a little bit like the video game Red Faction except on the moon instead of Mars
GuyvarIII

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Dallos is one of my favorite anime. I still think the beginning of the second Dallos OVA has one of the best action scenes, at the same time depicting the plight of the Moonopolis miners in microcosm.

And, Dallos has a powerful nihilistic ending, showing young Shun in a field of graves, as he comes to the realization that he and all the miners are powerless to change their lives; and that even God (Dallos) looks on in disinterest at the fate of Man.
robo-ky

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:36 am Reply with quote
The way the politics between the lunar colonies and Earth plays is out seems too similar to the overall themes in Gundam. Seems like Oshii just ripped off Tomino.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:02 am Reply with quote
Being a big Oshii fan I'd really like to check this out, but, uh… is it really DVD only? There's no Blu-Ray or digital release?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:40 am Reply with quote
If Dallos resembles anything, it's the later Bounty Dog and Freedom Project.

gatotsu: It's not on Blu-Ray in Japan, and there's no chance in hell that it'll sell well enough to justify being upgraded to that format here. Hell, I'll be happy if it sells enough copies for us to finally get Angel's Egg on R1 DVD. So just be glad you can throw out that truncated dubbed version from the 90s.

Going back to the actual review...

Quote:
(although surely the TV series The A-Team would have been a better match here from that same time period?),

Wikipedia Japan says it didn't get a broadcast in that country until two years after the OAV.

Quote:
Healthy adult men typically have buff, broad-shouldered, triangular builds, while the stark differences in design between Melinda, Rachel, and female rebel Erna help give the impression that Melinda is supposed to be the stunning beauty while Rachel is the “girl next door” and Erna, who looks like a period pop rocker, is the tough one.

It makes me think of Heavy Metal if it had a budget, and didn't screw up with that godawful 2000 sequel. Laughing

Anyway, I thought Dallos wasn't bad for people who wanted an anime on the go back then. But it's not really aspiring for more. Though at least it has better overall production values than the vastly overrated Megazone 23.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2