• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam's 35th Year Marked With Reconguista in G, The Origin

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jet_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Tomino said that the "G-Reko" name was chosen in part because "the 'Gundam' name was a total nuisance when trying to develop a new kind of robot story." He noted that the "G" in the title was revealed earlier as standing for "gravity."

Quote:
It is set in "Reguild Century," the era set after the Universal Century.

Thank you for hyping me with your lies, Tomino.

I'm still going to watch it though.
Kinda bummed out about the treatment they're giving The Origin.
rrizqiw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:27 am Reply with quote
jet_ wrote:
Quote:
Tomino said that the "G-Reko" name was chosen in part because "the 'Gundam' name was a total nuisance when trying to develop a new kind of robot story." He noted that the "G" in the title was revealed earlier as standing for "gravity."

Quote:
It is set in "Reguild Century," the era set after the Universal Century.

Thank you for hyping me with your lies, Tomino.

I'm still going to watch it though.
Kinda bummed out about the treatment they're giving The Origin.

to be fair he said that 2 years ago
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:49 am Reply with quote
Well, this is super disappointing. I was hoping for an announcement of a tv adaptation of Origin, instead we're getting a new Tomino show. Although I adore the original series, I think Tomino is an extremely bad director and an even worse writer. Dude's like the Japanese version of George Lucas.

Last edited by AsherFischell on Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:49 am Reply with quote
Lots of nice and exciting projects.

So I take it the Origin anime will adapt parts unique to the manga, but not actually re-do the story of the original Gundam?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:06 am Reply with quote
Super happy to finally see a new Tomino project get off the ground. One of my favorite directors.

From the old news reports on "G-Reko" dating yeeeeears back, one gets the impression that perhaps this started life as an original project and ended up becoming a Gundam thing - but that's all guesswork, maybe we'll get some detail on that somewhere later. Either way, I'm glad this happening before the old man gets any older.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:08 am Reply with quote
I was watching the Reconguista trailer and all I could think was "... You sure this isn't a Bones show?" Laughing

Of course I'll watch it all the same.
ZetaZaku

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:09 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
So I take it the Origin anime will adapt parts unique to the manga, but not actually re-do the story of the original Gundam?

Or maybe they just wanted to start with the new stuff first and go chronologically. They often do that with reboots. Look at FMA Brotherhood for example. Started with a filler and the flashback chapter.

So I guess Origin too will start with Char's background and then continue the story like normal. No Amuro until 2016. haha.

But f*** yes! This is the best news I've seen in ages. This year can't get any better. Lets just hope that Tomino doesn't do a Victory. He's been awful in his recent years (except Turn A).
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:16 am Reply with quote
Yeah that could be it, but 4 episodes seems like a bit too little to do the whole thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:18 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I was watching the Reconguista trailer and all I could think was "... You sure this isn't a Bones show?" Laughing

Of course I'll watch it all the same.

Tomino first used Yoshida for Overman King Gainer a few years before Eureka 7 came out.

As for the claim that Tomino is George Lucas thats nonsense, Tomino's last bad anime was Brain Powerd and Turn A Gundam stands as his finest work.
Panon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:19 am Reply with quote
Thank god they're not wasting a tv series on a reanimation of 0079.
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:26 am Reply with quote
Honestly Turn A as his best work is debatable as I found it out right dull which isn't something I look for in a Gundam Series.

As for the Origin Adapation I'm quite sadden its only 4 eps and might be the stuff new to the OYW to me that's just wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:26 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Yeah that could be it, but 4 episodes seems like a bit too little to do the whole thing.

Not if you're concentrating only on certain portions of the manga.
Origin animated is not a remake of the entire 0079 Gundam tv series.
Hence no need for 40+ episodes.

I love being right Twisted Evil
The UC is dead, and Sunrise righfully invests in alternate timelines.
Bye bye UC, you've done the job for more than 30 years, now it's time to let the youngsters come in. Cool Laughing

Somewhere in this universe, a small group of irreducible UC taliban fans are going apeshit. Maybe they'll send death threats to Sunrise, like the eva fans did years ago against Anno ?
Panon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:32 am Reply with quote
LuckyAstei wrote:
Honestly Turn A as his best work is debatable as I found it out right dull which isn't something I look for in a Gundam Series.

It might not be his best work but it's the only good thing he's made in the last twenty years
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:43 am Reply with quote
Panon wrote:
LuckyAstei wrote:

It might not be his best work but it's the only good thing he's made in the last twenty years

Well there is also Wings of Rean which isn't bad at all.
But of the Gundam Shows of the last 30 years, yeah Turn A is his finest show. Z and ZZ are not even a contender in the same class. And Victory oh boy it should be placed on the pile of shame never to be revisited again.

I see it this way :

Gundam film trilogy -> Char's counterattack -> Turn A.
Everything else Tomino has done in the Gundam Universe is at best mediocre and at worst a steaming pile of shit.
tootbrush

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:50 am Reply with quote
I'll have to watch it because it's Gundam, but I don't have much hope for anything Tomino's involved in.

Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Well there is also Wings of Rean which isn't bad at all.

You're kidding, right? That thing made even less sense than F91. It's one of the best examples of his godawful direction and screenwriting skills.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5