• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Stream The irregular at magic high school, Mushishi: The Next Chapter

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
So Aniplex did indeed to snag Mushi-Shi for themselves. Expected, but still very disappointing. Confused

Just wait until they license the new Black Butler season themselves and put it out sub-only. The fangirl rage will be catastrophic.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
At the very least there's a possibility I can watch Mekaku City Actors on Hulu without waiting at least a week.

SpacemanHardy wrote:
So Aniplex did indeed to snag Mushi-Shi for themselves. Expected, but still very disappointing. Confused

Just wait until they license the new Black Butler season themselves and put it out sub-only. The fangirl rage will be catastrophic.

I seriously doubt the latter would happen.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah GJ Anipurekkusu~

I hope they somehow will be able to release both seasons of Mushishi on BD as Funimation only did a DVD release of the first season Sad. spoiler[Didn't they at some point announce a BD release, and then just dropped it?]

Aniplex getting Mahouka was a given, just hoping it'll be good and not another great animation, great score, crappy plot that's all over the place and filled with holes.
ChihiroFujisaki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't believe Aniplex ever announced a Blu-Ray release of Mushishi season one. The Blu-Rays in Japan are just an upscale though, so you're not going to miss out on a huge leap in quality compared to the Funimation DVDs. I do hope that Aniplex releases the second season on Blu-Ray though, it would be a pity for it to only have a DVD release.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

SpacemanHardy wrote:

I seriously doubt the latter would happen.

If Aniplex holds the international license (like they did with the first 2 series) then it's entirely possible.

Aniplex JP has pretty much stopped licensing to other R1 distributors since Spring 2012.
Everything that they've held the international license for past that point has been an AoA license.

-edit-
Minus S2 of Dog Days.

Last edited by The Coffee God on Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:27 pm Reply with quote
ChihiroFujisaki wrote:
I don't believe Aniplex ever announced a Blu-Ray release of Mushishi season one. The Blu-Rays in Japan are just an upscale though, so you're not going to miss out on a huge leap in quality compared to the Funimation DVDs. I do hope that Aniplex releases the second season on Blu-Ray though, it would be a pity for it to only have a DVD release.

I'm well aware that the BD box released in Japan is an upscale, but even an upscale will be a level up in quality, and i'm all for highest quality, especially with a series like Mushishi Smile.
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
How are the chances of AoA giving us Willingham in a dub? None at all, probably?

But I wouldn't be able to buy their box set in the first place, so it doesn't matter.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Aniplex can't touch the first season of Mushi-Shi, because they had absolutely no part in the production of it.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
The Coffee God wrote:

If Aniplex holds the international license (like they did with the first 2 series) then it's entirely possible.

Aniplex JP has pretty much stopped licensing to other R1 distributors since Spring 2012.
Everything that they've held the international license for past that point has been an AoA license.

Yeah, I should have been clear. I referring to the fact the new Black Butler not getting a dub. Didn't that series do well for FUNimation?
ChihiroFujisaki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
I'm well aware that the BD box released in Japan is an upscale, but even an upscale will be a level up in quality, and i'm all for highest quality, especially with a series like Mushishi Smile.

I can understand that; Mushishi's a fantastic series, and if a Blu-Ray set was made available here I'd pick it up in a heartbeat! I doubt Funimation would bother going back to it though, so I'll just have to settle for now.
Kanokun

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quote
HELL YEAH MEKAKUCITY ACTORS!!
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

Yeah, I should have been clear. I referring to the fact the new Black Butler not getting a dub.

Hard to say.
Save for the Mushi-shi OVA (which is too new to tell), AoA has yet to be put in a position to outsource a dub to other R1 distribs for dub continuity.

AoA doesn't always provide a dub right out of the gate for their release (the Mushi-shi OVA would certainly be much cheaper to dub than a full series), so it's entirely possible, if Aniplex JP holds the international license and it goes to AoA, it's more likely to get a sub-only release the first time around.

darkchibi07 wrote:
Didn't that series do well for FUNimation?

I heard something to that effect, yes.
macattack

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Chalk up four more series to the IP protectorate masquerading as a licensor otherwise known as Aniplex of America.

AoA's primary objective is not to make money from the United States, that is merely a secondary objective. Their job is to prevent Aniplex's properties from being reverse-imported into Japan in order to protect the comparatively larger profits from the home country. Yeah, they'll go through the motions of being a licensor because they do want the sales they can get here. But their releases have gotten progressively worse and worse in audio and visual quality, even on BD, to the point Crunchyroll is offering better resolution and bitrates than the releases themselves.

In other words, effectively renting the product through a stream is a better deal for the consumer than buying the physical release. This doesn't make much sense until you realize what AoA is. Does it make any sense to release new seasons of Black Butler sub-only when the original dubbed sets by FUNimation by all accounts sold pretty well? Not from a profit perspective, no.

Many of AoA's dubs wouldn't have even been made without someone else footing the bill. Viz paid for Blue Exorcist, Fate/ZERO, and Magi to get dubbed. Only Madoka, DRRR!!, and possibly SAO had dubs intentionally made.

Will AoA gladly take your money? Of course. Plus without having a middleman like FUNimation releasing the product, Aniplex gets every penny of the sale. But that is not their primary objective. Their primary objective is to protect the home market of Japan. And they do that very well.

And yes, this rant is from a bitter Mushi-Shi fan who knows he won't have the money to afford buying the new season. So I admit there's some nerdrage going on here.
jlaking

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Here is hoping that FUNi gets first refusal rights to Black Butler.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
Chalk up four more series to the IP protectorate masquerading as a licensor otherwise known as Aniplex of America.

AoA's primary objective is not to make money from the United States, that is merely a secondary objective. Their job is to prevent Aniplex's properties from being reverse-imported into Japan in order to protect the comparatively larger profits from the home country. Yeah, they'll go through the motions of being a licensor because they do want the sales they can get here. But their releases have gotten progressively worse and worse in audio and visual quality, even on BD, to the point Crunchyroll is offering better resolution and bitrates than the releases themselves.

In other words, effectively renting the product through a stream is a better deal for the consumer than buying the physical release. This doesn't make much sense until you realize what AoA is. Does it make any sense to release new seasons of Black Butler sub-only when the original dubbed sets by FUNimation by all accounts sold pretty well? Not from a profit perspective, no.

Many of AoA's dubs wouldn't have even been made without someone else footing the bill. Viz paid for Blue Exorcist, Fate/ZERO, and Magi to get dubbed. Only Madoka, DRRR!!, and possibly SAO had dubs intentionally made.

Will AoA gladly take your money? Of course. Plus without having a middleman like FUNimation releasing the product, Aniplex gets every penny of the sale. But that is not their primary objective. Their primary objective is to protect the home market of Japan. And they do that very well.

And yes, this rant is from a bitter Mushi-Shi fan who knows he won't have the money to afford buying the new season. So I admit there's some nerdrage going on here.

Wow, that is scary since it makes perfect sense. I feel that rage too since I doubt I will see a dub for Mushishi
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2