• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Captain Earth (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote

Captain Earth (TV)

Genres: action, science fiction
Themes: aliens, mecha, real robots, war

Plot Summary: One night right before summer vacation, Daichi Manatsu, a second-year in high school, sees a weird round rainbow floating in the sky above Tanegashima and ventures there alone. He has seen this rainbow before. With the memories of his father's mysterious death and an encounter of a mysterious boy and girl, Daiji arrives on the island while the alarm of a building labeled "Earth Engine" is going off. Someone asks him if he's a captain, just as robotic intruders from Uranus called "Kiltgang" arrive. The battle around the shining stars is about to begin.
----------------------------------

Episode 1:
Pretty good episode overall imo. Tspoiler[he theme song played way longer than I had thought but I think it got the point across. The main character already has a mecha now although I feel sorry for what happened to his dad. Then again, I think he might be able to discover the truth soon.]

I think spoiler[two antagonists already made their appearance in the first episode] so looking forward to how they will play their roles. Given the director, I got some Star Driver vibes too. Not sure what to think of the mecha design right now though. It looks okay I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[I really like the animation in this anime.
Story looks like its full of potential.
They built solid foundations in this episode.
It was nice to get the past events right off the bat.
No need to flashback them in later on in the story.
I totally respect that move.
Looks interesting enough.
Will give this one a try.]
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
First off I enjoyed this episode more than I thought I would. I'm always a little reserved when I start watching a mecha series and it fell into one of my personal gripes which is the fact spoiler[Daichi for one is somehow able to use the mecha without having any training let alone know that existed 60 seconds before he got in, secondly the guy just let a 17 year old teen walk into what I guess is the most expensive and greatest defence the Earth has against these foes.]

With that being ignored I agree with ookamigirl that I like the fact that flashbacks were already used and we have some background knowledge before more questions are opened.

I am a little confused with Daichi's character as he was
spoiler[scared to get into the lift and scared when the lights went out but was more than happy to get in to, to him, and unknown machine to try and stop an unknown enemy. ] With that being said I am looking forward to finding out more about this spoiler[farther and the decisions he made] as well as the way Daichi handles the situation once he spoiler[returns to Earth.]

All in all it was a good episode which left more questions than answers (which is always good at this stage) and has left me looking forward to next weeks episode hopefully with a spoiler[Daichi and Teppei reunion.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Holy shit, WHAT was going on in this episode? It's well paced and it looks gorgeous but seriously. The sheer amount of bizarre sci-fi technobabble had me wondering if this is supposed to be a parody or something.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Holy, WHAT was going on in this episode? It's well paced and it looks gorgeous but seriously. The sheer amount of bizarre sci-fi technobabble had me wondering if this is supposed to be a parody or something.

There wasn't any more technobabble than your typical mecha show. At least we know what most of the terms they're using are so far.

Anyway I loved this episode, it was a great beginning to a new BONES mecha, which I love. I like the fact they have already built Daichi up as a character.

Plus the world already seems so alive and I really like the designs for the members of Kill-T gang so far. I hope we get to see more of them soon.

All in all a very interesting episode, and one that was remarkably easy to follow. I'm in until the end of this one!

I am happy its 25 episodes too. Mecha series just don't work when they are only given 12 episodes to work with. I just hope the ending isn't rushed like what happens with many of BONES original works...

Last edited by Cyclone1993 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:46 pm Reply with quote
"Combine robustness at maximum."
...are they building a giant robot to defend the planet, or adding a new vinaigrette dressing to a really kick-ass salad?
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking "sex" the whole combine sequence, so I guess it's one of those eye of the beholder type things. I tend to like the BONES stuff, but I find the "secrets and everybody but the viewer knows what's going on because MYSTERY!!!" approach to development of a setting tedious every time.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Well it's BONES, they have the resource and talent to make the most uninteresting of stuff look at least visually interesting, no surprise there.

Story, it's too early to say, I guess saying it's trying to be evangelion is just stating the obvious. It completely shatter any chance at immersion, what with "kid get on super expansive robot, and instantly know how to pilot it" but it seems like that's a requirement if you're doing any mech show, so we gotta live with it.

Character seems okay but here again it feel a bit early to say, hopefully he doesn't turn out like Renton and I'll be able to watch this till the end for those gorgeous visual. The show is totally spoiler[setting up Teppei to be a bad guy/rival eventually.]

Oh and I really have to wonder if they even know what there saying, especially when it's in english. Did he really say "libido" injection?

A huge plus is that spoiler[the bad guys actually seems like people, I liked that the show didn't specify that they were the bad guys at first, and it seems like we're gonna see more of them than just during the fight scene.]
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:16 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Well it's BONES, they have the resource and talent to make the most uninteresting of stuff look at least visually interesting, no surprise there.

Story, it's too early to say, I guess saying it's trying to be evangelion is just stating the obvious. It completely shatter any chance at immersion, what with "kid get on super expansive robot, and instantly know how to pilot it" but it seems like that's a requirement if you're doing any mech show, so we gotta live with it.

Character seems okay but here again it feel a bit early to say, hopefully he doesn't turn out like Renton and I'll be able to watch this till the end for those gorgeous visual. The show is totally spoiler[setting up Teppei to be a bad guy/rival eventually.]

Oh and I really have to wonder if they even know what there saying, especially when it's in english. Did he really say "libido" injection?

A huge plus is that spoiler[the bad guys actually seems like people, I liked that the show didn't specify that they were the bad guys at first, and it seems like we're gonna see more of them than just during the fight scene.]

To be honest he seems kind of like Renton near the end of the series after he grew up and matured.

Also, good catch on the libido thing! If memory serves, that was one of the things that helped energize the mechs in Star Driver. I wonder if they plan on incorporating some ideas from SD into the show?
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:49 am Reply with quote
Libido thing isn't only specific to SD,almost every show written by Enokido had some sort of Freudian imagery or ideas.
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:56 am Reply with quote
This show is like Eureka Seven, Evangelion, Gatchaman and Gundam all got thrown into a pot and boiled down to soup.

It's not bad, though. I quite like it. I really like how they did the flashbacks, to me its a new-ish way of handling it. The music is pleasant enough and the animation is what I'd expect from Bones.

Since the episode ended just spoiler[at the cusp of battle], next week should be interesting (moreso). And we get to see the opening and ending, provided there are any.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

That was actually surprisingly decent, I had no confidence with the name and stuff, but I ended up enjoying it. The transformation/mecha fusion, was also quite good, I thought there was no way I could something that seemed to do a throwback to old mecha so much.

Thoughts on the episode. His reasoning for not studying much felt self aware and typical for a teen. A strange little girl appearing in an elevator like that sounds like a ghost story, and why he was hesitant. I guess he has shown some skills that will be crossing over into mecha piloting, but what was with his classmates. Oh, and nice surprise that it was not obvious who were villains straight away, one of the engineers though had a terrible background image like their eyes were crossed.

This looks much easier to watch than I was watching before, although that was Buddy Complex so it might not be that hard.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I don't usually watch mecha shows and to be honest, I'm not really sure what made me want to watch this. It was pretty much, "Eh, I'll try it." I'm glad I did, because it seems to have potential.
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This show is like Eureka Seven, Evangelion, Gatchaman and Gundam all got thrown into a pot and boiled down to soup.

Really? How is this ANYTHING like Evangelion or Gundam? Gundam is much more focused on the political aspects of war and how war affects the masses. Evangelion is about the psychological aspects of the Children piloting the Evangelions in simple terms without spoilers.

Captain Earth had NEITHER of these aspects. It had some mysteries set up about a boy and his father and introduced the mecha and villains.

Glad you like the show and I do as well, but I'm tired of people saying a mecha show reminds them of Gundam and Eva when they have nothing to do with it. Hell, even the people being like "Oh Star Driver!" are stretching it. The color scheme reminds me of Star Driver and the yelling of some of the terms, but that's about it. Do people forget that the person writing the show also wrote Rahxephon? Which this is nothing like either. It's more typical but entertaining so far.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:41 pm Reply with quote
How is it not like eva?

Child pilot who can pilot his mech "because"? Check
Daddy issue? Check
Unknown force attacking earth? Check
Mysterious girl? Double check
Mysterious organization? Check
Tons of technobabble that are left unexplained? Check

Heck the command room even look like eva command room. I half expect Teppei to turn out to be Kaworu.

Really all that missing is mother issue (which will probably come soon) and pseudo christian motif.

Ultimately eva is about adolescence, I'm pretty sure that's also what captain planet will be about. "Angst, sadness, rebellion, akward love, by your power combine I am… a japans mech anime? What? how is that even related?"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10