• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy - Figma Strength

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
That is such a damn shame. I was really looking forward to getting this one because she looked so cool, but after reading this review I don't think I'll bother anymore. Kind of glad I didn't end up pre-ordering it now.
gerbilx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I have both the OVA and TV version of this figure, and I quite prefer the OVA one. That said, I usually pose her such that she's propped up by the hands with her legs crossed - no stand.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Bringing up KLK is going to bring up an imminent forum war, though... Also, nice review, I've never actually purchased a Figma, and was eyeing the Mikasa one. Had no idea that they were known for having terrible stands.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I like Good Smile Company's figures, there's a whole bunch of them sitting on my shelves, but, lately, I've been finding less and less figures of theirs to my liking.

I'm not saying their quality is dropping, I would think it's just my imagination playing a trick, and my tastes that don't align. After all they're pretty much considered the yardstick of quality in this area.
But, well... ...I can't help but feel like they lost some of the 'magic' ever since the move to Tokyo SkyTree a few years back...
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
After all they're pretty much considered the yardstick of quality in this area.

Personally I give that nod to Alter, but GSC isn't far behind. Still, their figma line has always come across as cheap to me, and not in reference to their prices. Being able to pose the figure however you want is nice, but for whatever reason they just seem like they put a lot less effort into them than they do their static scaled figures.
angieness

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I'll be spoiler free, but I loved the KLK ending. It had everything I wanted in it so I was satisfied and can't wait for the avalanche of KLK toys to come out. (GoodSmile wants to kill my bank account by having the Ryuko+Mako Nendos and Ryuko figma come out all in the same month)

As for this figure, that's a bummer! I don't even care about BRS, but I considered getting it because it was so cool looking.
Lusbox

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I've got a couple figma's and never had any problems with the stand, although there's no accessories big enough to even unbalance it, let alone need their own one!

I put it in once and don't really need to touch it again when positioning or anything, (will try not to at all now..) some of the joints do feel pretty flimsy when replacing though.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
The stand's peg broke inside my DeadMaster OVA figma a year ago, though I had it for a while before that. I still don't know how to get it out, so I've simply used one of the extra stands from another figma and a grasping peg to hold her up on the shelf since. I very much love my figmas, but they are still prone to breaking if you don't handle them with the upmost care. And occasionally, they come out with a figma that can't hold itself up. On the flip-side, they occasionally come out with a figma that can hold itself up with a stand, so there's that, too. For now, though, I'm done collecting expensive figures. I've got Nagisa and a potential Akuma Homura to think about, and then I have no more reason to get anymore of them.
Alunimus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Bringing up KLK is going to bring up an imminent forum war, though... Also, nice review, I've never actually purchased a Figma, and was eyeing the Mikasa one. Had no idea that they were known for having terrible stands.
Nah, their stands are fine. The only frustrating thing is attaching it to characters with long hair.
acetatsujin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:43 am Reply with quote
I have the new version and the old version. I don't have the one with four hands, though (don't think I would get it anyways). Still in the box. I think the one you got (talking to the writer) is probably a defective one. FIGMA makes great figures but obviously, like everything else in the world out there, not everything is perfect. Or unless their releases for this figure is questionable.

I have well over 25 FIGMA figures and they're all in great standing. I've already pre-ordered the Kill la Kill version, too.
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:36 am Reply with quote
I want to clear up about the stands real quick. Figma stands don't have a rep for being bad. I can't really remember one that didn't work. My remark was made while thinking back to many, many terrible Nendoroid stands, which haven't improved at all over the years. In this case the fists were just too heavy for the stand, and with the fist assembly being unable to stay together itself, the whole setup becomes a disaster.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I deduce from the lack of any smile or blushy face that Strength is a villain through and through.

That's not how I remember the TV version of STR. Am I misremembering something?
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Quote:
I deduce from the lack of any smile or blushy face that Strength is a villain through and through.

That's not how I remember the TV version of STR. Am I misremembering something?

He also mentioned that he has not watched the show, and he refused to wiki it to find out. So, he's just going with the feeling he got from the character. It's not the correct one, but he wasn't saying it was either.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Strength wasn't the villain, but I wouldn't exactly call her "good" either. But this series wasn't really about heroes and villains anyway since all of the characters are pretty well damaged.

@Dave- There have been several variations on the Nendo stand over the years. They started with the round stands before moving on to the square ones that look like mini di:stages, and on some figures they use those half-moon stands with the special inner thigh "seat". Plus there are the occasional character-specific stands. I'm not really sure how the Nendo stands can be improved, they seem pretty much perfect right now.

Meanwhile figma has used the same exact stand since 2008. I don't really have a problem with it, but I would like something with more holes.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wooga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:05 am Reply with quote
They have other options for stands. I would recommend this one for Strength.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1