• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Sunny FUNi

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
Is this the part where we bring up the DBZ Level Sets had half the episode count as these Blu-rays and still costed more?

Let's be real. You threw 40 episodes on a disc and with Amazon/retailer discounts, you can get them for less than a dollar an episode. Any uninformed prick would pick that steal of a deal up. The video didn't make a difference.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
It's just precious that Funimation sold Dragon Ball Z a certain way (a false way) for years and then they have the gall to blame the customer after they've been so cowed into trusting Funimation for not buying the uncropped releases.

"Yeah, people vote with their wallets, man." Yeah, because they don't know any better. Because every release is "DBZ AS IT WAS MEANT TO BE SEEN" or "DBZ AS YOU'VE NEVER SEEN IT BEFORE!" or some other stupid, misleading, half-truth superlative.

Because nearly every release panders to fans of the version of the show that isn't the show.

People bought the Level sets, but you stopped that because you ran out of money to make them. So you churned out this awful, cheap new pan-and-scan "remaster".

Dragon Ball Z was made in 4:3. If you release it 16:9, you're doing a disservice to the product/art. It should not be a democracy. It shouldn't be up for debate. The show was made a certain way. You continue to show an outright hostility for the show as intended.

I can't recommend anybody buy any of your DBZ TV series releases now. I'd like to, because people should support the official release. But maybe you should put out an official release worth supporting.

Hopefully you'll treat Battle of Gods with a little respect. It's too bad they won't be showing it in Japanese in theaters, though. But then, that would go against what you want people to see DBZ as.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
After all these years I still have no idea what the definite DBZ set to get is because of how many have gotten released over the years. A while back I saw adverts for an actual edited-only DVD set, so it seems we've looped around back and are offering edited TV dubs again as a selling feature, which is odd..

For me, definitive means

-Uncut
-All the episodes
-Original music
-Original aspect ratio (no cropping to make it look widescreen)
-No "remastered/enhanced" footage that dilutes or saturates the colors and removes detail

Not sure which set that is, if any.
Schaef Dogg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Once again, they think Space Dandy is a Sunrise show. Poor Bones...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
After all these years I still have no idea what the definite DBZ set to get is because of how many have gotten released over the years. A while back I saw adverts for an actual edited-only DVD set, so it seems we've looped around back and are offering edited TV dubs again as a selling feature, which is odd..

For me, definitive means

-Uncut
-All the episodes
-Original music
-Original aspect ratio (no cropping to make it look widescreen)
-No "remastered/enhanced" footage that dilutes or saturates the colors and removes detail

Not sure which set that is, if any.

Isn't that the Dragon Box?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
The Dragon Boxes are years old, out of print, and only sold at exorbitant prices from greedy Amazon sellers. A proper release shouldn't be an exception, it should be a rule.

I mean, I have my DBoxes, but I refuse to take a "I got mine, you get yours" attitude about this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
A proper release shouldn't be an exception, it should be a rule.

Just a teensy bit entitled there, ain't ya Pengu?

I'll be honest; I'm halfway tempted to buy the new BD sets just to piss Penguintruth off. Laughing
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
It's not entitlement. That's the bare minimum of what they should be doing. Even their uncut DVD singles from 1999 were less insulting than this "remaster".
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Would Yu Yu Hakusho sell better if Funimation put out 16:9 sets? What about Cowboy Bebop or Fullmetal Alchemist 2K3? Are Viz heading for disaster by not appealing to the demographic of Sailor Moon/Naruto fans that want the show in 16:9 with colours that are as inaccurate as possible?

No.

I'm not going to pretend those shows are Dragon Ball popular, but they're closest thing the North American anime industry has to it.

If 16:9 is such an important selling point to Dragon Ball fans, how come the 4:3 GT is one of their top sellers?

That's because the casuals don't really care and just want to watch the show at an affordable price. They'd buy DBZ on BD in 4:3 if it was the only thing available. But when the Level sets came out, that wasn't the case. The Dragon Boxes had just finished, so the collector's market was exhausted. Kai was an ongoing DVD/BD release at the time. The Orange Bricks were on the same store shelves with thrice the amount of episodes at half the price. It's not a surprise that they sold worse than expected.

I'm sure there are people who see 4:3 on their 16:9 screen and puke. I'm not sure those people are going to buy the entirety of a 291 episode series just because it's in 16:9. It's disappointing to see Funimation cater to just that audience.

The only reason Funimation does this shit with Dragon Ball Z is because they have been able to successfully tap that cash reservoir multiple times. Rather than selling Dragon Ball based on the quality of the content (like the shows I listed in the top), they've been selling it on new features. They'll put out this trash and then expect everyone to buy Toei's eventual proper release in a few years. It sucks that their "Malibu Stacy with a new hat!" has come at a detriment to the work put into the show. Right now there's no way to buy Dragon Ball Z in North America as it was actually intended to be seen. Well, unless you want to pay outrageous scalper prices for the Dragon Boxes.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, screw anything not 16:9! Guess that means we should start cutting up all Scope movies while we're at it, you know, because black bars on the top and bottom. I find it hilarious and sad that disc cases have to actually warn you that you should not panic, this is normal.

So what's the way next for FUNi to mishandle DBZ? Some kind of all new 4k 3D Cinerama release, enhanced for the barely curved Samsung screens?

"People want blurays that fill up their screens and have vibrant colors." What are they, fuckin' 4 year olds?

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Pretty disappointing nobody seems to have a clear answer for why extra anime content (chibi shorts, omakes, specials, etc) aren't being dubbed. I've only seen dozens of complaints at the Funimation forums but either they go unread or sadly they don't care. As mentioned, this has been happening since after 2012 so that's about a full year and a half now... Shocked

A few fans have theorized it's because Char left (she actually cared about her job as Brand Manager and did it well). If dubbing extra anime content was a decision to be made by ADR Directors it would be no issue. It means more work for them = more $. Maybe Char's replacements just aren't as good but that doesn't mean they can't try to be consistent.

FYI if there's an excuse that there's a budget for extras I'll say right now I'd rather have DUBBED omakes/specials/shorts than English VA commentaries if given the choice. Ask more fans and they'd probably feel the same.

Personally I'd like to see a dubbed version of Fantasy Jiggles Unleashed included for High School DxD Season 2. Seems they missed the point of the question. It wasn't an issue of "we use whatever we're given" because it was included for season 1 BUT sub-only. It's an issue for why not dub it when you have it? And many customers weren't happy with sub-only content, same with Hellsing: The Dawn.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm all for letting your voice be heard as a consumer, but there's no point in getting angry with funimation over something that's turning a profit for them. If I had to guess, I'd say their continued release of variations of the dragon ball property is because it's one of the few titles that gets the green light from Walmart, and they don't want to lose that shelf space because it's a profitable asset. The quality of content doesn't matter, because the Walmart consumer is the minimally informed consumer.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
FrameFreeze100 wrote:
Pretty disappointing nobody seems to have a clear answer for why extra anime content (chibi shorts, omakes, specials, etc) aren't being dubbed. I've only seen dozens of complaints at the Funimation forums but either they go unread or sadly they don't care. As mentioned, this has been happening since after 2012 so that's about a full year and a half now... Shocked

A few fans have theorized it's because Char left (she actually cared about her job as Brand Manager and did it well). If dubbing extra anime content was a decision to be made by ADR Directors it would be no issue. It means more work for them = more $. Maybe Char's replacements just aren't as good but that doesn't mean they can't try to be consistent.

FYI if there's an excuse that there's a budget for extras I'll say right now I'd rather have DUBBED omakes/specials/shorts than English VA commentaries if given the choice. Ask more fans and they'd probably feel the same.

Personally I'd like to see a dubbed version of Fantasy Jiggles Unleashed included for High School DxD Season 2. Seems they missed the point of the question. It wasn't an issue of "we use whatever we're given" because it was included for season 1 BUT sub-only. It's an issue for why not dub it when you have it? And many customers weren't happy with sub-only content, same with Hellsing: The Dawn.

Agreed. Hellsing: The Dawn was especially irritating since it is quite a bit of content to leave sub-only. I can sort of see something like Fantasy Jiggles Unleashed not being dubbed, but that still bugged me. I'd agree that if cost is such a major factor, I'd trade off one or even both of the customary commentary tracks to get more dubbed content. As interesting as commentaries are to me, they have been included long enough that there is a lot of repetition. And I can't imagine that the actors would be too upset about it. Either they get paid for their time doing commentaries or they get paid for their time dubbing more stuff.

And you're right, I don't think the question was actually understood since it seemed like they thought the question was "Why are there fewer extras?" and not the actual question of why what we do get isn't dubbed, or at least not dubbed consistently.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
BringBackUzume

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
FrameFreeze100 wrote:
A few fans have theorized it's because Char left (she actually cared about her job as Brand Manager and did it well). .

Y U gotta mention Char? I'm gonna cry now. I miss her so much. She was one of the best Brand Managers Funimation had and Viz just HAD to take her away.
Vapors

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
A little bummed to hear no big updates on any of the Sunrise rescues from last year. On the other hand, that's not all bad since I'll be spending plenty this summer with a slew of classic rereleases. (And I hope they do right with not only Cowboy Bebop but Escaflowne too)

Sounds like the earliest we could expect anything will be late 2014.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4