• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st 3 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Episodes English-Dubbed

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Already freaking out about this on Facebook, and not necassarily in a good way.

Don't get me wrong, this is exciting news, and I love the cast announced so far...but um...WHAT ABOUT PARTS ONE AND TWO. Shocked

Seriously, why in the heck is Part 3 the 'Z' of the JoJo's franchise? Is it really just me that loves Parts 1 and 2 the most? But even that all aside, they kind of set up the story for Part 3, so it'd be nice to have those as well. I can only hope that for some bizarre reason they just announced this first and the first two are indeed coming as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BlueBitterCoffee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote
WHY ISNT THE FIRST SEASON DUBBED? do people just hate that season? I hope it will be dubbed in the future. :/ on the other hand Im glad this is happening this is truly becoming a common thing with dubs coming out quicker and quicker its amazing how far anime popularity has come in the west.
Kyonne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
D'arby The Gambler in the original OVAs had the best piece of voice acting from any place ever in any form of media
They better aim for the top with this one
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Two years ago nobody would have dreamed that Jojo's would get a TV anime and now it's got a dub. Looking forward to bizarro names for all the bands.

I can't wait to listen to the filthy acting at a reasonable price!
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Apparently, I'm not the only one who thinks it odd to dub Stardust Crusaders before Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency. I mean, I'm definitely excited for it, but why?

Also, Seitz as Dio is the most perfect thing ever and ain't no one gonna tell me otherwise.
konqueror

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Get your s_ _t together and work on Part 1 and Part 2 first.

What the hell, this is everything wrong with JoJo outside Japan, they think everything starts at Part 3.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:52 pm Reply with quote
This came from seemingly nowhere! They are dubbing the show as it airs? That very rarely ever happens.

I also think its strange that they aren't doing the first series first, but it was pretty mediocre in most ways in my opinion. Stardust Crusaders is a huge improvement, so I can see why they started with that.

I'll be looking forward to the dub then!
Veniamin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Oh good lord, why? Rolling Eyes

Imagine trying to hear "USELESS USELESS USELESS!!!"

Not the same.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Is Cruncyroll announcing they acquired and are funding a dub themselves or are they just streaming it for a short period?
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Richard Epcar and Patrick Seitz? Hory shit.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I hate to say this but I think the dub casting was a little reckless here. For starters, Dio and Joseph are British. Did both Seitz and Epcar manage to pull off convincing British accents for their appointed roles? If not, I'm not sure what to make of this.
Veniaman wrote:
Oh good lord, why? Rolling Eyes

Imagine trying to hear "USELESS USELESS USELESS!!!"

Not the same.

If it's any guess, they may just use the word "futile" in place of "useless" since it rolls of the tongue much better when spoken in rapid succession.
Sporkaganza

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
This came from seemingly nowhere! They are dubbing the show as it airs? That very rarely ever happens.

I also think its strange that they aren't doing the first series first, but it was pretty mediocre in most ways in my opinion. Stardust Crusaders is a huge improvement, so I can see why they started with that.

I'll be looking forward to the dub then!

Honestly, as someone who never read the manga, I think the first season is better than Stardust Crusaders. Jotaro is easily the least interesting protagonist out of the first three and the pacing and tone is just really strange to me.

I'm really more interested in hearing a dub for Parts 1 and 2.

KabaKabaFruit wrote:
I hate to say this but I think the dub casting was a little reckless here. For starters, Dio and Joseph are British. Did both Seitz and Epcar manage to pull off convincing British accents for their appointed roles? If not, I'm not sure what to make of this.

Old Joseph has been living in America for many years, and who knows what Dio's been up to in that time? I don't think British accents are necessary by the time Stardust Crusaders begins. For season one, on the other hand...

Last edited by Sporkaganza on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:16 pm Reply with quote
well, that came outta nowhere, especially considering how the anime isn't even through half a season yet. I also never expected Joseph and Dio to be voiced by Epcar and Seitz. I always had them with British accents (though admittedly Joseph might have lost his due to living in America so long). I also never expected Mercer for Jotaro, but he can play convincing stoics. Still, very interesting.

Last edited by AiddonValentine on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:19 pm Reply with quote
How exactly does one lose an accent after living in a country for many decades? My dad is Ukrainian and he's been living in Canada for 40 years and he still has his Ukrainian accent. It doesn't make sense.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:21 pm Reply with quote
1. Hopefully the first season will receive a dub at a later point in time, and this season being dubbed first is just to capitalize off of the series current success in an attempt to bring in more people and sell more manga volumes for Viz.

2. Is there not an English licensing company involved (i.e. the Japanese taking care of it themselves), or has one not been revealed yet?

3. Does this mean that the rest of the season will be receiving a dub, because it's sounding to me like this is just a trial to test interest in one and not a commitment for the whole series?

Last edited by gravediggernalk on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4