• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Barakamon (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:19 am Reply with quote

Barakamon (TV)

Genres: comedy, slice of life
Themes: calligraphy, country life

Plot summary: After punching a famous curator in the face for criticizing his work as "textbook and lifeless," Handa Seishuu is sent to Gotō Island to calm his nerves and find new inspiration for his calligraphy. Growing up in the city all his life, though, Handa must adapt to country life while meeting an assortment of quirky people during his tenure.
----------------------------------

I was just talking to my friend about this the other day. The atmosphere feels present and the characters look refreshing. While I'm not a fan of the studio, the show could definitely have potential and be a dark horse of the season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quote
It's a healing type show through and through so prepare for some good times and maybe even some feels.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Really nice start so far. The atmosphere is how I remember in the manga and the characters' role fits well for the first episode.

This is a slice of anime so don't expect much of a complex story. Yet, I find it very realistic with a good amount of humor. Oh and Haru is absolutely adorable <3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
That punch. Cute show with a cute little girl. I will keep watching.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I like what they did with every character (especially Hina, although I do wonder if we'll get to see some of the super deformed face she does in the manga), except for Naru, she sounds way to young, I was hoping for something a bit more like Edward from Bebop.

Wonder how far the show will cover, I hope we get to see his mom, she's was pretty hilarious.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:30 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I like what they did with every character (especially Hina, although I do wonder if we'll get to see some of the super deformed face she does in the manga), except for Naru, she sounds way to young, I was hoping for something a bit more like Edward from Bebop.

I thought Naru sounded fine. Her VA is an actual child.
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Well... this was an adorable show. I will be watching more of this.

While that was one good punch, I like the shoe flying off and kicking him in the butt a bit more.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:47 am Reply with quote
Naru. Is. So. Cute. XDDDDDDD It's amazing that her voice is a 7-year-old. Not only that but she's speaking in the Kyuushuu dialect! I was very impressed. It's been mentioned in interviews that OnoD tells her the reading of the kanji in the script that she doesn't know. XDDD How adorable!

Handa is amusing and the village chief makes me chuckle. The star is definitely Naru though. SO CUUUUUUUTE!!!

My roomie who just moved out last week is actually from Kyuushuu and I would hear her speak the Kyuushuu dialect with "ken" at the end when talking on the phone with some of her friends. Japanese dialects are fun! Maybe one of these days there'll be a series that takes place in Shikoku so OnoD can use some of his Tosa-ben.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:50 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Naru. Is. So. Cute. XDDDDDDD It's amazing that her voice is a 7-year-old. Not only that but she's speaking in the Kyuushuu dialect! I was very impressed. It's been mentioned in interviews that OnoD tells her the reading of the kanji in the script that she doesn't know. XDDD How adorable

Agreed. The kid is doing an awesome job. I really liked Naru in the manga (well, i've only read a couple of chapters) and was a bit worried that she might come across as annoying in the anime, but her seiyuu is just perfect for her character.

Loved this ep. and am definitely looking forward to more.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:09 am Reply with quote
This season is already better than Spring. AWESOME first episode! The dialect, the cute kid, the comedy, the beautiful scenery, the emotions, everything.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:12 am Reply with quote
Very strong opening episode indeed. Has the calming atmosphere of Non Non Biyori with a similar protagonist that Silver Spoon had. This is a concept I simply never get tired of. Not to mention all the characters are very likeable so far. Now if they could PLEASE refrain from using pedo jokes this could easily be my favorite show of the season........i just jinxed it didn't I? Crying or Very sad
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:33 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Now if they could PLEASE refrain from using pedo jokes this could easily be my favorite show of the season........i just jinxed it didn't I? Crying or Very sad

A 7-year old is voicing Naru. I highly doubt they will include those kinds of jokes.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:41 am Reply with quote
A calligraphist with a temper.
The OP was good and the music suited it nicely.
Art looks nice as well.
Interesting how slice of lice somehow always has the best art.
Maybe that kid will be a good influence.
Looks like she already is starting to be.
Nice anime.
Might give this one a try.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

When I saw the title and a picture for the show I had a feeling I would not like it so I was not entirely excited to watch it. But after watching it, wow this might be one of my favourite starts for this season. I was not sold on the kid from the OP, but her voice totally adds a level of authenticity to the character, and she becomes a huge delight, kind of annoying but genuine and entertaining. The guy is not that bad either, he has started a little as a bit of a stick in the mud, but mixed with the locals in this episode he a fine main character.

Usagi Drop, Non Non Biyori, and My Little Monster, those are shows this reminds me of. The kind of child element of Usagi Drop, the small village part of Non Non Biyori with a little bit of the kids too, and I am not entirely sure what part of My Little Monster, I know I thought of it when his eyes go white. I now have expectations.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 1

Usagi Drop, Non Non Biyori, and My Little Monster, those are shows this reminds me of. The kind of child element of Usagi Drop, the small village part of Non Non Biyori with a little bit of the kids too, and I am not entirely sure what part of My Little Monster, I know I thought of it when his eyes go white. I now have expectations.

I have expectations as well.

... I hope it's not like Bunny Drop. Of course I haven't seen the anime, not at all, never will {if the producers wanted to do that kind of story, there were other mangas with the same premise who earned their money} Renge and Non Non Biyori, I'm ok with that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10