• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2014

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
Broken link for Sekai Project.
Lusbox

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:37 am Reply with quote
My friend just happens to be in LA on holiday right now, didn't plan it for this but it worked out quite well.

Pretty jealous..
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
(Via Kotaku) Today at Anime Expo, Harmony Gold announced a kickstarter campaign to finance a new Robotech series, Robotech Academy.

I think so far I've backed most anime-related projects on Kickstarter.

... ... .

I think I'll pass on this...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much the only announcement that I really care about is the one that hasn't been made yet...

...who the eff has licensed JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders and when is it coming out???

Clearly, somebody didn't dub the first three eppies and have them run on CR this weekend for shits'n'giggles. Viz is the obvious suspect since they have the manga, but it would be nice to get confirmation. Plus, I want to know if JBA: Phantom Blood and JBA: Battle Tendency (the anime) have also been licensed for release.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:34 am Reply with quote
Yeah, really--what the hell!? Viz apparently had their panel Thursday and it wasn't reported on...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:07 am Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
Yeah, really--what the hell!? Viz apparently had their panel Thursday and it wasn't reported on...

All of the news from every panel was reported on, so you are not missing any new information from any panel that happened at AX.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:30 am Reply with quote
With the way streaming and licensing works now, with us pretty much knowing who gets what from the outset of every season, I think the only surprises will be if companies dig way back to grab titles. And even if you don't exactly know has what that fast, well you can still watch the show regardless. I was hoping for some licenses of older things possibly on BD, but no dice.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Pretty much the only announcement that I really care about is the one that hasn't been made yet...

...who the eff has licensed JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders and when is it coming out???

Clearly, somebody didn't dub the first three eppies and have them run on CR this weekend for shits'n'giggles. Viz is the obvious suspect since they have the manga, but it would be nice to get confirmation. Plus, I want to know if JBA: Phantom Blood and JBA: Battle Tendency (the anime) have also been licensed for release.

The Stardust Crusaders promotional posters that were handed out only mentioned 1 US company: Crunchyroll. And CR was only allowed to stream the dubbed episodes for a very limited time. AND the only company representatives at the Jojo dub premiere were from Crunchyroll and the Japanese production companies. All of which leads me to wonder if nobody has in fact licensed the Jojo anime - that maybe this is one of those dubs of just a handful of episodes used to shop the show around to potential US licensors (whether for home video release or airing on TV).

The only other explanation I can think of is if there was some unusual term on the license that requires something else to happen before the license-holder's involvement can be announced. I'd kind of suspected Funimation was in a huge rush to go from announcing the Ben-to! license to dubbing it to getting out a home video release on AX weekend (until they had to push it back) that getting that David Production title out on disc was a condition of announcing their license of Jojo, but the LA-area dub cast has left me even less confident of that than I was before.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
azabaro - that's some interesting speculation, but I think it is unlikely that the dub was commissioned by the Japanese license holders as a tactic to drum up interest in NA. I think your second point is more likely to be correct: that there is some stipulation or inner workings thing that we outsiders can't figure out that precludes the NA distrib from making an announcement at this time.

I'm assuming the interested parties are looking at the metrics from CR's two day broadcast, but the past weekend seems like an odd choice to do that. With the new season gearing up and a fair amount of potential viewers busy with AX ... I dunno.

The ways of the anime distribution industry are often a mystery to me.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:14 am Reply with quote
Was it really a 2-day streaming event? Because I thought it was a MUCH narrower window of time, like 7-8 hours, from 4-5 PM-Midnight Pacific time, which oddly enough is a little longer than the length of Toonami!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:20 am Reply with quote
To tell you the truth, I actually don't know how long the period actually was. I'm not sure what time the dubbed eppies appeared on Saturday and I don't know when they were taken down - I assume at around 11:59pm Sunday night (PST?)

I know they were up for longer than 7 or 8 hours, though, because I watched the first one on Saturday morning and the other two about 24 hours later on Sunday.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I watched them all during Toonami on Saturday night and TRIED to load them Sunday but couldn't, so that's weird.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1