• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Terror in Resonance (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote

Terror in Resonance (TV)

Genres: drama, mystery, thriller
Themes: high school, terrorism

Plot Summary: One summer day, a terrorist attack strikes Tokyo. The perpetrators are two boys who call themselves "Sphinx." The attack was just the beginning of the grandiose game they are playing that will envelop all of Japan.
----------------------------------

Previews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONnhZEnvaNA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzFpaM4TK2E&feature=player_detailpage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDtA8aYjzzM

Great previews and visuals. Shame this will be only 11 episodes but I think it has promise for an original anime. It's also noticeable that the show will have Shinichiro Watanabe and Yoko Kanno in it as part of the staff.

Really looking forward to this Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Was going through and updating discussion thread openers and cross-referencing information to make sure everything matched, when I noticed this particular title was still named under its Japanese moniker in the Encyclopedia. As a result, I've changed the name of the title to reflect that.

Whenever it officially gets changed to English, though, I will change it back accordingly. But until then, Japanese it is.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Isn't it offically Terror in Resonance already, and that the encyclopedia entry--not the thread--is simply behind?
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote
There's an Australian press release here on ANN and on its Encyclopedia page calling it Terror In Resonance. I guess the Encyclopedia title name hasn't been updated?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Hm.. after cross-checking with other sources.. I guess so! I will change it to that, then.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Amazing start. The spoiler[coordination, the characters, the mood, the OST, the setting, the plot so far. Everything has been done well imo. Seems like the girl Lisa gets involved with those two who decides to bomb the building. And now she definitely can't to back with the way her life was.]

Interesting, very interesting. The second episode premiered already at the Anime Expo last weekend. Still, this was a very good start and I am eager to see more!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Emo terrorists, eh? Hmm. Show is slick as hell but how I ultimately feel about it will depend on finding out what is driving them to do this. If it's something that makes me roll my eyes, I won't be that happy. Probably still watch, though.
Sobe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Some of those scenes are kind of familiar if you know what I mean. Especially the "avalanche." Rolling Eyes
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:55 pm Reply with quote
uhh... while I the animation and sound were really well done... I can't say I like the show or not.

Not knowing anything about Lisa, 9 and 12 there really wasn't anything that I could say that drew me in, Lisa and 9 really have no personality to speak of and 12 while he is out going he just sort of annoys me. Hopefully something gets explained in the next episode because not having any back info on what they are doing or why they are doing it really just leaves me in limbo on how I view the show so far.

But whatever, it is the first episode and it did leave me wanting to see the next one. That is usually a good sign for a show.

Last edited by Crusher X303 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Well the animation and music are enough to warrant watching episode 2, I do hope that they start fleshing things out. Of prime concern now is what exactly there power is, otherwise its gonna be really hard to take anything that happens seriously. On a side note, I really really really hope they touch as little as possible the bullying aspect.
raich8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
^ A) Why do you hope for as little focus as possible on the bullying?

B) From the look of the opening with the snowmobile, I would guess they've got enhanced senses/reflexes of some sort.

Anyway, I really enjoyed that episode. Really great direction.
Alberto7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:46 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that first episode was amazing. Hands down my favorite first episode of the season. Not only were the art and animation incredibly beautiful, but the development and pacing of the episode was next to perfect. Not to mention that it is right up my alley. It's these sorts of psychological and somewhat depressing anime that really give me something to think about and make me feel intrigued. Couple that with pretty imagery and great music and you've got my full attention.

Also, I would not be opposed whatsoever to the idea of them touching upon and exploring the more uncomfortable topics further (spoiler[bullying + the 9/11-ish scene]). I feel that actively seeking insight into these topics somehow makes me understand these topics better from a more empathic point of view. It's the reason I loved Aku no Hana (EDIT: The Flowers of Evil, since I realize that we mostly use the localized titles on this forum) so much, despite its controversial visual approach.

I hope the rest of this anime keeps it up just like this.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:29 am Reply with quote
Not sure what to say about this one. I can't say it's bad or good.
It's not that entertaining either. I'm going to give it one more ep, then drop it if it's the same as ep1.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:22 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm giving this first episode a 10/10, hands down. It was a complete joy to look at. Not a single frame was wasted, every little thing was used to characterize the world, setting, or, well, characters. No more dialogue than absolutely necessary, no exposition monologues, but introducing us to the world by showing, not telling. That's how it should be done in a visual medium. But then again, this is Watanabe, who knows what he's doing. I love the character designs, the OP and ED, and the sometimes counterpoint-ish use of the soundtrack. It doesn't bother me that we don't know much about the motivation of the characters spoiler[or the justification (if there can be one) for their actions. We have children blowing up the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building with bombs hidden in stuffed animals. The biggest horror for me was seeing Lisa being afraid (or disgusted?) of her mother's messages. I don't yet have to see her being abused at home (although the trailer already hinted at that), nor do I have to know the backstory of the boys in order to be very much intrigued by the merciless playfulness of Twelve, giving Nine the choice to blow up Lisa or "save" her]. IMO, this episode did everything right in pulling us/me in with lots of wonderful details. spoiler[The detachment of the boys from ordinary life, having to reflect upon what a "normal" person would or wouldn't do at school was also done so very well, from Twelve not caring about showing up soaked in class, his combined innocence - jumping in the pool - and treating everything as a game and the world and it's inhabitants as his playground. Well, he likes ants, as he mentioned so pointedly.] Completely sold and hooked.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:55 am Reply with quote
Great first episode. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes. Like others, I don't know what to think yet, but am intrigued to find out. Always nice to see a new show from Watanabe.

As for the Japanese puzzle given in the live action segment at the end...

Hint #1:
spoiler[Ignore the kanji; focus only on possible phonetic pronunciations. ]

Hint #2:
spoiler[Add "to" to each word in the column on the left, then look for a word on the right that matches up phonetically to form a word.]

Answer (I'm pretty sure, anyway):
spoiler[ 題と雨量 => "Dai-to-uryou." => "大統領." => "President."]

Wonder if this is a clue to the next episode...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 25