• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Music Royalties Overseas Rose 61% With Naruto, One Piece, GTO, Sailor Moon

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:07 am Reply with quote
Good thing for them, Naruto Shippuden events became dark and its soundtracks matches perfectly.

Though, for me - It was always One Piece,Gintama,Hunter X Hunter(2011) and Bleach which has a very remarkable soundtracks.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:07 am Reply with quote
For those of you who maybe don't understand where this money is coming from, it's basically this:

the "performance" royalties is a small percentage of the money foreign companies pay for the rights to stream the show on the internet (or theoretically stream the music from the show).
So in effect some % of your advertising money and/or subscription to legal anime streaming site goes to the royalties for BGM "performance". (well it would also cover traditional performances of the music as well but I think we can assume that's basically a tiny percentage)

the "recording" royalties are a small percentage (or lump figure, depending), of the sales of CDs and DVDs with the BGM on them.

I think the analysis is correct and a vast majority of this 60% raise is thanks to a whole lot of Chinese and south asian companies selling way more official CDs and DVDs + having actual legitimate streaming contracts.
RommieSG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:01 am Reply with quote
And yet we can't get any original music in our Gundam games. But games like Naruto and One Piece can... what is wrong with this world...
pauladls

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:27 am Reply with quote
the pokemon music is awesome, thanks junichi masuda
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:59 am Reply with quote
Although this is good new, but Japan music industry needs to do something about this. I don't see a lot of Japanese music on Itunes while it's easy for me to find music from other part of East Asia.

Last edited by mdo7 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:07 am Reply with quote
@samuelp

Thank you for explaining what "performance" means in this context.
I had been a bit confused and was wondering why people would be performing anime background music.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:40 am Reply with quote
Admiral Pizzaman wrote:
Good thing for them, Naruto Shippuden events became dark and its soundtracks matches perfectly.

Though, for me - It was always One Piece,Gintama,Hunter X Hunter(2011) and Bleach which has a very remarkable soundtracks.

Especially with the latest anime episodes and the latest manga chapters. Heck, outside of fillers and occasional moments, Shippuden really have a lot of funny moments anymore which I miss because I loved the comedy that Part I did.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Kikuchi's DBZ BGM is probably pulling in some extra money because of the Kai music fiasco, though for the Buu arc they're using Sumitomo. Unless somebody catches him ripping people off, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Now if only we could get them to pay just a little bit more and subtitle the OP/ED songs on streams.

Emerje
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Now if only we could get them to pay just a little bit more and subtitle the OP/ED songs on streams.

And this is a reason why people resort to fansubs for said songs.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Emerje wrote:

And this is a reason why people resort to fansubs for said songs.

For CR, it doesn't have to be all fancy or anything, just Japanese on top, English on bottom, it's simple. And none of that switching off between them every episode, that's always annoyed me.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:50 am Reply with quote
pauladls wrote:
the pokemon music is awesome, thanks junichi masuda

Considering most of his soundtrack is being replaced with generic crap for dub, the 10th place is surprisingly high. Says a lot about show's popularity.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
If this is the case where the hell is the Naruto OST 3 at? Seriously it's been over like 3 years since the last OST release. And Naruto doesn't use it's movie osts in the orginal series either. I don't get it.

It's not like it wouldn't sell either. Takanashi is one of the more popular composers in the anime scene. I'm starting to think it's merely an "Aniplex" thing but heck even Bleach got at least 4 OST releases (with an unreleased soundtracks disc bundled in the anniversary pack). I just don't know what they are thinking. At this rate even a 3 CD release isn't going to be nearly enough to cover everything Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1