• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Popular Mecha Nicks

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Final Fantasy Type-0: I'm neutral about this one getting released as I had no real interest in it before, but I'm sure a lot of people are mad at Square Enix for choosing to announce this two and a half years later and, of course, right as the fan translation was complete.

Maybe in a more positive scenario, SE could have just purchased the translation from Sky like XSEED did with Jeff Nussbaum's fan translation of Ys: The Oath in Felghana and worked with that so no one is excluded, but I suppose they would never even dream of considering that option since they may not like the idea that a fansub group "had the nerve" (<---sarcasm here) to translate a FF game and completed it before they did. And of course, let's not forget that people will probably make fun of them for relying on a fansub instead of doing the actual work themselves.

Gurumin: Everyone should play this. It's like a mini-Ys game mixed with some Popful Mail brand humor. The English dub is very professional too (I daresay, better than the Japanese voices in many cases of the characters; even the okama character is more hilarious in English). It's absolutely addicting how much fun it is, especially when you want to get a gold medal on every stage and find all the secret platinum metals to get the special bonus. The hat equipment system makes you want to go out and find them all, then collect enough scrap to upgrade all of them to max (still working on that even now as the upgrades demand insane amounts of scrap and I've had the PSP version since its release). And the costumes are there for great fun, especially when you wear the matching hat with each of them (Parin's voice changes to reflect the costume's theme). And then there's the music, it makes me wish I could get a physical copy of the soundtrack (quite impossible now since it was packaged with the first edition of the game). I can't praise this game enough; I'm so glad they brought it over. Sorry for gushing like that, I just love Gurumin.

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I'd say another Gundam-inspired game series is Mechwarrior.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Re: the Type-0 translation. I've heard that Squeenix actually wanted to negotiate with the fan-translators so they could work something out...

...however the project lead, Sky, was really intent on "sticking it" to SE and thushe released the patch a month early, and without the consent of the other members, who were all willing to quietly abandon the project if SE revealed an official release at the upcoming E3. Needless to say, the other memebrs were pretty pissed, as the patch wasn't 100% polished to their satisfaction yet.

I've also heard another major legal issue with the patch is that it actually contains copyrated material in it, but I'm not exactly sure what that means...
Levitz9

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda cheesed by the people calling BS on SE for their actions concerning the Type-0 translation. They're just exercising their rights. It's no different from an artist on Tumblr sending a C&D to some random company that stole their art for an unlicensed shirt.

Chalk it up to fan entitlement.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I've got no tears for the Type-0 patch. Everything I've heard says Squeenix wanted to make a deal and Sky decided to be a dick instead.

Mind, I'm still pissed that Type-0 HD isn't on Vita where it belongs. Squeenix can have my money when that happens. Razz
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Here's my read of the Type-0 mess: Sky found out that Square Enix was planning on announcing Final Fantasy Type-0 HD on PS4/XB1 at E3 2014. Video game fan translators are usually pretty good at dropping their work as soon as an official release is announced. Since Square Enix decided to forego a portable version and attached no date to the console build, Sky didn't feel like throwing all of their hard work away for potentially a vastly different game released years from now. He then had the team rush the release date to beat the official announcement. As time wasn't on their side, their patch of the game features Square Enix's assets (namely the video files), which then prompted the removal notice.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:02 am Reply with quote
Another great entry in The X Button corner of ANN.

I must say I agree in considering Cyberbots, ZOE 2 and FM3 as excellent mecha titles; yet I'm even happier Gundam Extreme VS keeps getting mentioned here. It's a fantastic game and it's astonishing how Bandai Namco seems to NOT acknowledge this and release it at least on PSN and with a different soundtrack to avoid copyright hell.

I will check out some of the other recommendations such as Leynos & Valken, I've known about those for quite a while but never found the will to search for them and try them a bit.

Front Mission Evolved is mediocre but it gets more hate than it deserves. Probably because it didn't meet expectations considering the franchise's previous entries.

I sincerely hope for any fangroup to translate any of the Nintendo-exclusive entries of Fatal Frame, but I know how unlikely that is.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:26 am Reply with quote
It's not unlikely, it already happened. Fatal Frame 4 has already been fan translated.

Fatal Frame 2 Wii was actually released in Euo, so no need for a fan translation.

As for SE and Type 0. There's absolutely no reason they should use a fan translation. XSeed did that because it was cheaper and faster to do for a title that wasn't going to sell great anyway. SE is ten times bigger the Xseed and no doubt thier translation will be better. Even the people behind the fan translation admit to it having errors.

And belvaderr, you make it seem like SE is jealous or something. Which seems pretty dumb. They've had no problem with fan translations before of thier games. Why would they be jealous now? It even seems like they reached out to the fan team. Why we don't know the whole story it seems the problem is beyond this being a simple fan translation.

Besides the rumors state that the official translation for Type 0 already had plenty of work done on it. It simply was an issue of where to actually put the game for a western release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:15 am Reply with quote
This is the first article I've read that acknowledged that the KoF music game uses Cool Cool Toon's mechanics. Thanks for not forcing me to point it out! The game isn't THAT obscure, but every other article is like "a MUSIC GAME, something SNK has never done before", and I'm like "COME ON".
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:37 am Reply with quote
I just pulled Lain out the collection last night. Translation you say? The Wired gets more uncanny by the day.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
And belvaderr, you make it seem like SE is jealous or something. Which seems pretty dumb. They've had no problem with fan translations before of thier games. Why would they be jealous now? It even seems like they reached out to the fan team. Why we don't know the whole story it seems the problem is beyond this being a simple fan translation.

Besides the rumors state that the official translation for Type 0 already had plenty of work done on it. It simply was an issue of where to actually put the game for a western release.

No, I did say "suppose". I don't know the entirety of the details, but this does remind me of how Square didn't want fans doing anything with Chrono Trigger getting a fan-made game and threw that cease-and-desist at the team. I'm wondering if it's the same scenario, different context with Type-0.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:50 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'd say another Gundam-inspired game series is Mechwarrior.

The shutdown sequence simulator! One of the only games that actively punishes users for inadequate heat dissipation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't really know the story behind the fan translation so I won't comment on it, but fan translation are a very good things in my book, there's so many gems that I would have never played without them, I'd say if a company still hasn't release localized a game after something like 5 year they shouldn't have the right to stop someone from releasing there own fan translated version, so long if it still require the original game (like the FM5 translation).

Some general comment on mech game, ZOE 2 was so freaking good, really felt like you were piloting a mech, and without most of the annoyance from gundam story. No annoying lead in sight, in fact I love how ZOE 2 improved on ZOE 1 by shoving the annoying highschool boy aside and having the pilot actually be a trained pilot.

I'm pretty sure at this point we can say Front mission is dead, no new game game announcement in years and last one was that god awful evolved which not only had nothing to do with front mission, but was an awful game in and of itself.

I can't wait for armored core 6, 5 was just not my cup of tea, the focus on multiplayer aspect took out most of the fun of the single player aspect and it was really annoying how they just made the control more complex without any reason.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1