• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AKB48 Recruits New Part-Time Idols - For US$10 an Hour

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:56 am Reply with quote
I applied. :3
u6064vision

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:32 am Reply with quote
I don't think I would want to be part of their weird idol group. A lot of these girls come across as brainwashed cult members to me. I couldn't bear the thought of signing up to unrealistically strict codes. Also with possibilities of facing expulsion or demotion to the lower ranks. No thanks you.
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:38 am Reply with quote
Uh... 1,000 yen/hour feels like seriously underpaid for working for a major idol group. But I guess if it helps girls get their foot in the idol world...
Greboruri

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:52 am Reply with quote
Compare with other low paid jobs (note the article is two years old). Think I'd rather be working in Pachinko parlour, driving VW Golfs to owners or working Family Mart.
spinja446

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:59 am Reply with quote
They're documentaries are really fascinating to watch. They do seem like the most genuine girls in the idol sphere. I like some of the individual talents the girls have, especially they're dancers. However I do have issues with them that I could write a whole blog about...
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:13 am Reply with quote
This is such a trap, the only thing "interesting" that might come of this is the manga parodies of the exact concept.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:13 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
This is such a trap, the only thing "interesting" that might come of this is the manga parodies of the exact concept.

It's too bad the Miss Monochrome series had to end so early...
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:36 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:

がんばれ!

Greboruri wrote:
Compare with other low paid jobs (note the article is two years old). Think I'd rather be working in Pachinko parlour, driving VW Golfs to owners or working Family Mart.

Well, those 2 jobs require you to be 18+ (a full size vehicle's drivers license is 18, and the pachinko one might be 20). Also many of those are at 1000 yen or thereabouts too (the Subway job is 950 yen)

I'm pretty sure this will be a much better opportunity for anyone with singing or media or voice acting aspirations than working at a gas station or family mart for 1000 yen.

But your reference does bring up an advantage about Japan, as well as other countries outside the US, which is how easy and normal it is for young people to get part-time work.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:44 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:

がんばれ!

Greboruri wrote:

I'm pretty sure this will be a much better opportunity for anyone with singing or media or voice acting aspirations than working at a gas station or family mart for 1000 yen.

ありがとう。頑張るわ。^^

But you said exactly what I was going to. The biggest point of this audition isn't getting paid for this job... It's exposure. Exposure leads to fans which leads to popularity, which leads to future jobs. It's very important, and having one of the most looked-at groups in Japan (if not THE most) possibly back you is a huge thing. Even just getting past the paper auditions would be a big deal.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:57 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

I agree with this. These positions for people who have aspirations to be in the entertainment industry, not someone looking for generic work with no interest in pursuing a career in the media.

It's like American Idol (although way worse considering at best, AKB48 career will peak as you being a face in a swarm of 48 other women as opposed to AI continually narrowing down and letting each person stand out). Even people who don't win usually end up in the music industry with a record deal somewhere.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:25 am Reply with quote
$10/hr PT can work well in America when you are a college student living with your parents.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:45 am Reply with quote
$10/hour when a very small chance to hit it big.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:46 am Reply with quote
To be honest, I don't know what to say over this. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
How can someone only be a part time idol in the first play ether your an idol or your not one
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:54 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
How can someone only be a part time idol in the first play ether your an idol or your not one

Everyone and everything can get the idol treatment (even concepts that may see unthinkable at first), look at all these local idols groups that we see videos of that we don't have a clue about before we saw the video.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2