• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hi Score Girl Halts Serialization After SNK's Copyright Charges

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
This makes less sense the more I see it written about.

Square Enix looks to have made a lot of requests and got permission from many other companies to use their characters, but not SNK?

Now, I could believe they did contact SNK and got permission from someone who maybe did not have authority to give it.

Mark Gosdin
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Yep, had to have been something like that.

Anyway, sigh, I knew this was coming. Too easy to just recall the tankoubon and let the manga continue on.

I wonder what must be going through Oshikiri's head right now, given that he's said nothing about anything since this crap started. I'm sure he's terrified that his career's in the toilet along with his series. Then again, he's not really at fault.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:

Square Enix looks to have made a lot of requests and got permission from many other companies to use their characters, but not SNK?

Now, I could believe they did contact SNK and got permission from someone who maybe did not have authority to give it.

Mark Gosdin

That is the only way I could see this happening. Square is pretty good about dotting the is and crossing the Ts

This whole thing sounds ridiculous to me. it would be one thing if it made snk characters actual characters in the story or tried to make money off them. But the games and characters in them are just period correct window dressing for the series. there is no reason for SNK to be upset except their pride.
I can only see this as SNK choosing the best time to pitch a fit and scream that they aren't dead (which in truth they probably are as much as media blasters).

Last edited by Tanteikingdomkey on Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Running Wild

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Pack it up!

#PJSalt
Student no.0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Given its interesting premise, sucks something like this is happening. Hope things work out for the better somehow, though it seems like it might not sadly.
nottimkai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I've read some of this manga, and I'll say this: Hi Score Girl is an absolute love story to 90s games and gaming! Setting aside the actual plot, there is nothing but love for games in this manga - ESPECIALLY SNK GAMES!!

It bothers me when a publisher treats mangaka like trash.

"Oops, this might cost us money! Throw the series, the artist and the editor under the bus! It wasn't their fault?

Pfft, they're disposable. Someone else will come along to fill the void sooner or later."

... Okay, I'm exaggerating. In this instance. Unless I'm not.

Someone more familiar with the situation, how close am I?
Team Rocket Elite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:

Mark Gosdin

Has SquareEnix made any such claim? I can only read what's been reported on English sites but I have not heard anything about SquareEnix claiming they were given permission. Right now it seems like the fault is on SquareEnix for somehow never asking SNK.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:16 pm Reply with quote
nottimkai wrote:

It bothers me when a publisher treats mangaka like trash.

"Oops, this might cost us money! Throw the series, the artist and the editor under the bus! It wasn't their fault?

Pfft, they're disposable. Someone else will come along to fill the void sooner or later."

... Okay, I'm exaggerating. In this instance. Unless I'm not.

Someone more familiar with the situation, how close am I?

SquareEnx has no choice at the moment to stop the serialization. Did you miss the part where they said there was a police investigation and a raid???? Continuing publication while this is all under way would be foolish. It's not like they can't restart it once things get sorted out.
OH&S

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Slightly expected but incredibly disappointing. Sad

I hope square enix and snk can quickly sort this out. The manga is too entertaining to cancel over something like this.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
The way I see it, there can be several explanations:

* The mangaka did not asked SNK for permission (forgot, not caring, etc...)
* The mangaka asked SNK for permission and was rejected, but continued to include SNK material anyways, and thought that by crediting them on the Thanks page would cover his bases
* SNK gave permission, but by someone who did not held the authority to make such a decision
* SNK gave permission, and misplaced/lost the papers proving that they gave their consent (still, 2010 is a while back, and people do switch departments/companies)
* SNK gave permission and have the papers to prove it, but still makes a fuss to keep public interest on the company (maybe they'll announce a new release in the coming 3 months or so)
* They want a cut of the revenue from the (currently-upcoming) anime adaptation/get higher royalties

Until further information is available to the public, the best we, the readers, can do is guess and speculate.
I haven't read the manga, but the art style is unique, and the synopsis sounds interesting.
Mr. slicer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:06 pm Reply with quote
The whole thing is weird. If the only video games characters that appeared were from SNK I could see a case where Square could have decided to simply do it without permission thinking that that they would not be caught or something. It find it unlikely though that they would get permission from everyone else and simply forget SNK (unless this was a major screwup). It also would appear to be odd for SNK to be lying here since if there was a contract explicitly allowing the characters to be used in the magna they would lose the case in a heartbeat and would be a sign of extreme desperation . I wonder if this is some bizarre misunderstanding? If that is the case hopefully something can be worked out.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I've not touched the manga, but I was looking forward to the anime adaption. Hope that it still sees the light of day, but disappointed that even if it does...we may not get the chance to continue to follow the story due to (potentially) no longer having the manga series.

This, for me, looked like a series that would've been a nostalgia trip. May have been based little too early for me, as it seems like it takes place in the early 90s, but I remember hanging out at the video game arcades in the late 90s/early 2000s and actually playing some of the older arcade games.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:09 am Reply with quote
Team Rocket Elite wrote:
mgosdin wrote:

Mark Gosdin

Has SquareEnix made any such claim? I can only read what's been reported on English sites but I have not heard anything about SquareEnix claiming they were given permission. Right now it seems like the fault is on SquareEnix for somehow never asking SNK.

Square-Enix has not commented on the matter beyond what ANN's reported. Unsurprising as not arguing the matter in the media is likely what their lawyers recommend.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1