• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Clone Wars

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Every time I see Chuck on somebody's shelf, I squee a little bit on the inside.

People like you are the reason the show survived to the end!!! And Subway. And Toyota! But never forget you!
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Question about that Cardcaptor Sakura set! Are they spelling it "Xiaolang" in the subtitles? I was wondering why you kept spelling it like that. I didn't think anybody spelled it the traditional Chinese way, what with every copy I own of the manga spelling it "Syaoran". (And, yes, I own several different editions and checked every one.... what? I don't have a problem. Embarassed Doesn't everybody own four copies of volume 2?) I'm just curious about it, as it seems like it would be difficult to get used to. Smile
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Yes, they spell it that way in the subtitles. Also in the episode guide book.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quote
CCS all I can say is oh my lord YES thank you NIS!

also I have similarly been hit by the love live game.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
also I have similarly been hit by the love live game.

Coming near the end of my current tablet addiction (Disney Hidden Worlds), and looking for new replacements (Phoenix Wright, Monopoly Bingo), I have decided to experiment with LLSIP, just on the recommendation.

I hold Bamboo responsible should any damages to my life occur. Mad
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
Question about that Cardcaptor Sakura set! Are they spelling it "Xiaolang" in the subtitles? I was wondering why you kept spelling it like that. I didn't think anybody spelled it the traditional Chinese way, what with every copy I own of the manga spelling it "Syaoran". (And, yes, I own several different editions and checked every one.... what? I don't have a problem. Embarassed Doesn't everybody own four copies of volume 2?) I'm just curious about it, as it seems like it would be difficult to get used to. Smile

That's about the only thing that bothers me about it... the subtitle is always "Xiaolang". Even when Sakura is saying "Li-kun".

(I didn't check my old Pioneer set to recall what they did... maybe it's the same and I'm senile.)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quote
This might be my only chance to watch Cardcaptor Sakura the way it was meant to be; no kiddy dub (a shame it never had a better, more professionally done one) or censored nonsense, just the show in its unaltered entirety. But the price is a bit steep...

Ali07, major kudos to you for having not one but two Mega Man X and three Zero figures apiece! I have the D-Arts X and Vile figures myself. Still need to find Zero for a fair price. :)
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Thought Senran Kagura might end up lower, but I'm guessing the lack of a wish-fulfillment male lead whom all the ninja girls are trying to please helped save it from the Perishable bin.

Quote:
Of course, plenty of Card Captor Sakura fans may still have the old Pioneer tapes—some might even have the Geneon Blu-rays from five years back.
Didn't Geneon shut down 7 years ago, before Blu-Ray was even a thing here? Though I would still have the Geneon DVDs from 8 years back if I hadn't sold them 5 and a half years ago to help fund a convention trip. I'd already seen the show once via a downloaded version and again via the DVDs, so I figured someone else could get more enjoyment than I could if they were still collecting dust on my shelves.

Mikeski wrote:
(I didn't check my old Pioneer set to recall what they did... maybe it's the same and I'm senile.)
They never used Xiolang or any honorifics.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:55 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
This might be my only chance to watch Cardcaptor Sakura the way it was meant to be; no kiddy dub (a shame it never had a better, more professionally done one) or censored nonsense, just the show in its unaltered entirety. But the price is a bit steep...

Ali07, major kudos to you for having not one but two Mega Man X and three Zero figures apiece! I have the D-Arts X and Vile figures myself. Still need to find Zero for a fair price. Smile

What are you talking about? They might have been subitled only, but the genon releases of Cardcaptor sakura not cardcaptors was uncut, and they released it twice, once as singles, once as two boxsets. This might be the only time you get to hear an uncut dub, but not an uncut sub.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
belvadeer wrote:

Ali07, major kudos to you for having not one but two Mega Man X and three Zero figures apiece! I have the D-Arts X and Vile figures myself. Still need to find Zero for a fair price. Smile

What are you talking about? They might have been subitled only, but the genon releases of Cardcaptor sakura not cardcaptors was uncut, and they released it twice, once as singles, once as two boxsets. This might be the only time you get to hear an uncut dub, but not an uncut sub.

oh yay the dub is uncut. however it is still worse then the neveda cardcaptors dub.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Just got the CCS blu-ray set for my birthday. I still own the Geneon DVDs (no, there weren't ever blu-rays released here till now...) but Card Captor Sakura, being cell-animated, really deserves the blu-ray upgrade. I expected that I wouldn't care much for it, having watched the DVDs half a dozen times over the years, but it's still wonderful. Like Bamboo said, it really never gets old. I love shoujo and magical girls but I can't think of any other series that has this much *charm*.

I was kinda disappointed by the artbook, though. I was really hoping for some concept art (the DVDs had a concept art gallery in the extras, guess I gotta keep them) and especially some of the beautiful promotional art, but other than screenshots there's just a couple of pages of the new style promo art that I think was released in calendars a couple years ago.

However, I was pleasantly surprised by the dub. Sakura's voice put me off initially, but she quickly gets better. And aside from a few very flat-acting minor roles, the dub is quite watchable, almost, dare I say, good! Definitely better than most Asian English dubs I've heard recently. Which is wonderful, because if I have a daughter one day, I want to be able to watch CCS with her...now that there's a dub, there's a possibility! Anime smile

As for the Xiaolang thing, his name has never had the Chinese spelling like this in any other English-released material, but I think it's a good thing. Except for:
Mikeski wrote:
That's about the only thing that bothers me about it... the subtitle is always "Xiaolang". Even when Sakura is saying "Li-kun". (I didn't check my old Pioneer set to recall what they did... maybe it's the same and I'm senile.)

I thought this was so weird, especially since the transition of Sakura calling him "Li" to "Shaoran/Xiaolang" is a real turning point in the series. I don't see why localizers seem to think this switching between calling someone by their last name to their first name is such an untranslatable concept.
(And yes, the Geneon subtitles retained "Li" when Sakura calls him "Li-kun" in Japanese, I don't think there were honorifics but I don't quite remember. Both versions seem to have lost Yukito's nickname "Toya" for "Touya", though admittedly it's hard for most non-Japanese speakers to tell the difference)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mc-Taz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Quote:
Of course, plenty of Card Captor Sakura fans may still have the old Pioneer tapes—some might even have the Geneon Blu-rays from five years back.
Didn't Geneon shut down 7 years ago, before Blu-Ray was even a thing here?

I was slightly confused with this at first as well, since she mentioned the Pioneer VHS releases just before that, but what Bamboo was referring to is the Geneon JP Blu-ray box that was released in Japan in 2009. It was conveniently released just after the company was sold to NBC Universal, netting the name change to Geneon Universal Entertainment. The company is now simply NBC Universal Entertainment Japan.
eely225

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Along with the help of her best friend Tomoyo, who also makes all of her magical girl outfits; transfer student Xiaolong; and some other major players along the way, she must use the powers of the cards to recapture the escaped cards before they wreak too much havoc on the world.

Awesome use of semicolons, Bamboo!
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:

Start reading from here. Some slight spoilers if you haven't watched the series yet.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I realized the Geneon thing was confusing, so I changed it. The NISA release is the only US one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3